The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone drive above the posted speed limit?

ChrisCo!

The reasons are pretty clear to me.

It's just generating revenue with the tickets.

Police strategically post up radar in 50km/h zone that under no circumstance should be that low.

Spots like coming down Boundary (DOWNHILL) towards SE Marine Drive, almost all of SE Marine Drive starting from New West Vancouver.

I remember getting a ticket in one of those 50 zones and the cop HERSELF admitted that the posted limit was unfair and should be at least 10-20 km/h more.

Always follow the money trail and you will get an answer.

Most of the time by going with the flow of traffic meant speeding. Are you going to be responsible for my ticket when the police send me one? No? Don't blame me when I travel at speed limit, the law is the law.

By the way,stay on right lane unless passing only applies on highway and not normal roads, right? Otherwise it wouldn't make sense, what if you don't know the way and only know your destination is on the left side? You are supposed to stay right until you decide to turn left? Why not just stay on the left lane? What if I want to turn left and police caught me for staying in the left lane before I reached the intersection.

Most of the time by going with the flow of traffic meant speeding. Are you going to be responsible for my ticket when the police send me one? No? Don't blame me when I travel at speed limit, the law is the law.

By the way,stay on right lane unless passing only applies on highway and not normal roads, right? Otherwise it wouldn't make sense, what if you don't know the way and only know your destination is on the left side? You are supposed to stay right until you decide to turn left? Why not just stay on the left lane? What if I want to turn left and police caught me for staying in the left lane before I reached the intersection.

Nobody is blaming you for anything. If you want to cruise along at EXACTLY the speed limit... fill your boots. Just do so from the right lane.

I personally try to follow "keep right except to pass" on any multi lane road out of courtesy (something more people should practice) but it's certainly more vital on highways.

If you're doing 55km/hr driving side by side with the old lady in the right lane on a 60km/hr road I am shoving my front bumper so far up your ass you can't afford to go any slower.

People who drive well above posted speed limits, I find, if they are girls, they are under alot of stress and are poor at coping with it, if they are guys they generally have a low self esteem or are a teenager. The kindest thing you can do to help these people is to try to line up with vehicles in the other lane(s) and match their speeds exactly so that no one can go around and the speed limit is upheld.

This is pretty much exactly what I was referring to. I'm almost certain they teach you to do exactly the opposite of this. Driving the same speed as someone beside you allows no outs for either of you or the people behind you if an obstruction appears in front. If you feel like being a moral molly and driving the speed limit in the left lane FINE, just make sure you aren't creating a road block for the rest of traffic.

Nobody is blaming you for anything. If you want to cruise along at EXACTLY the speed limit... fill your boots. Just do so from the right lane.

I personally try to follow "keep right except to pass" on any multi lane road out of courtesy (something more people should practice) but it's certainly more vital on highways.

I am just saying staying right except to pass only make sense on highways, but not on normal roads. Its virtually unenforceable anyways.

And why should a law abiding driver be limited to only the right lane? Shouldn't we all be driving to the speed limit? If the limit is 50km/h, then the flow of traffic should be 50km/h. If you are in a rush, too bad. You should have plan better. You have to obey the law, its not a suggestion. Its something you have to follow.

I am just saying staying right except to pass only make sense on highways, but not on normal roads. Its virtually unenforceable anyways.

And why should a law abiding driver be limited to only the right lane? Shouldn't we all be driving to the speed limit? If the limit is 50km/h, then the flow of traffic should be 50km/h. If you are in a rush, too bad. You should have plan better. You have to obey the law, its not a suggestion. Its something you have to follow.

It makes perfect sense on all roads as it aids in increasing the flow of traffic. It's courteous, plain and simple. It's simply less critical than on a highway.

Should we all? Probably. But that's not terribly realistic is it? It also wreaks of "morality police" syndrome. Unless your a cop, it's frankly none of your business what speed other drivers are doing. Your "job" is to be a courteous driver and not impede the flow of traffic (regardless of the speed it's going) not be some sort of dangerous, vigilante, speed morality police.

It makes perfect sense on all roads as it aids in increasing the flow of traffic. It's courteous, plain and simple. It's simply less critical than on a highway.

Should we all? Probably. But that's not terribly realistic is it? It also wreaks of "morality police" syndrome. Unless your a cop, it's frankly none of your business what speed other drivers are doing. Your "job" is to be a courteous driver and not impede the flow of traffic (regardless of the speed it's going) not be some sort of dangerous, vigilante, speed morality police.

A good law should leave no ground for interpretation. Staying right unless passing on a normal road left a ground for interpretation, therefore its pointless and unenforceable. Okay, lets say you are on westminster hwy, and want to turn left at number 3 road. You stay right until you almost reached number 3 road. Soon you find out that you have reached minoru road and not number 3 road. So naturally you stay on the left lane until you reached number 3 road, but then a cop catches you because you stayed on the left lane. That's idiotic. Remember there will always be cars on the left lane waiting their turn to turn left in the intersection, you can't really go that fast anyways. On top of that, can you elaborate more on "flow of traffic", why do you feel the need to emphasis it? The flow of traffic should always be the speed limit, regardless which lane you are on. It makes no difference whether you are on the left or the right lane.

The speed limit is a good law as it leaves no ground for interpretation.

Honestly, who come up with this moronic law?

EDIT:

Left lane drivers not a priority, say B.C. police chiefs

Distracted and drug-impaired driving at the top of their list to keep drivers safe

"The only drivers we're interested in left-hand lanes are those who drive below the speed limit and impede traffic."

A road at 40 can be safely driven at 60, 100 at 120 and so on. My friend's dad used to engineers roads for a living and he told me that speed limits that are posted are 20 km/h below what the road's speed should be, because they know everyone will speed.

The speed limits are more set by political forces and are more or less random.

In fact, in some places, the speed limit is higher than the road is designed for.

But typically it's less.

That's not actually accurate unless Jebus drops a 10' thick concrete wall in front of the guy stopping him in that exact spot. He has to stop too and hence over "X" distance ;)

So you have his 77m + the space between you - your reaction time. AKA leave some space and pay @#$%'ing attention.

True but from time to time a bridge falls down or a road fails into a sinkhole or whatever and it's for that precise reason you end up with dozens of vehicles over the abyss before anyone notices.

Of if there's an accident that stops the front cars faster than normal then you don't run into the abyss you just have a couple hundred rear enders.

• 3 months later...

http://www.straight.com/news/470636/bc-crackdown-left-lane-slow-drivers-now-effect

B.C. crackdown on left-lane slow drivers now in effect

The B.C. Government is making good on its crackdown on slow drivers in the left lane on provincial highways.

As of today (June 12), drivers caught in the left-most lane on multi-lane roads where the speed limit is 80 kilometres or greater risk a $167 fine and three demerit points if they get caught by police.

The province says exceptions include passing another vehicle, moving left to allow traffic to merge, and preparing for a left-hand turn.

In a release, Transportation Minister Todd Stone said, “One of the top driver frustrations across the province was being prevented from passing because someone won’t leave the left lane. We have strengthened the law to give police better tools to crack-down on left-lane hogs.”

“Drivers who block the left lane increase the risk caused by aggressive drivers who il pass on the right or tailgate,” said Chief Neil Dubord, chair of the B.C. Association of Chiefs of Police–Traffic division. “This change provides clarity to police officers who will enforce the requirement for vehicles to travel in the right lane.”

Another change now allows the ministry to to define winter tires, studded tires, and traction devices like chains in regulation.

New legislation, same concept. :)

According to....?

Besides, it still doesn't mean that not ticketing slow HOV lane drivers is good law making.

I'd assume if someone's truly being an arse in the HOV lane they could get an "impeding flow of traffic" or "unsafe driving" ticket still regardless of this new legislation anyway. They're just less likely to, which IMO, is unfortunate.

According to....?

Besides, it still doesn't mean that not ticketing slow HOV lane drivers is good law making.

I'd assume if someone's truly being an arse in the HOV lane they could get an "impeding flow of traffic" or "unsafe driving" ticket still regardless of this new legislation anyway. They're just less likely to, which IMO is unfortunate.

I'll leave it to you to ponder all the subjective, once again, logic follows Mr. Ambien.

Only time i have driven above the posted speed limit was this one time i hit this wicked jump.

Guess i am a left lane hog but i am a southpaw so it is warranted. Its hard to flip the bird and spit on oncoming traffic from the right hand lane.

So, does this mean that the left lane is typically supposed to be clear (barring rush-hour), and that even those driving a little over the limit should move right except when actively passing someone in a slower lane?

For example, if you are on an 80kph 2-lane-per-direction highway, doing 80-90 kph and staying in the left lane consistently, even though there is reasonable opportunity go into the left lane, could/would you be ticketed? Or would it only happen if you were holding up faster drivers?

Also, does this only apply on "highways", or would the Trans-Canada freeway also count?

Archived