The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does everyone drive above the posted speed limit?

ChrisCo!

Well it's new legislation isn't it?

A bit self-serving of you, Ambien. J.R.'s right, the law had nothing specific to exclude the HOV lane from keep right except to pass and slower traffic keep right until this was introduced. Therefore, the HOV wasn't excluded. Therefore, you were not correct to assume it was.

A bit self-serving of you, Ambien. J.R.'s right, the law had nothing specific to exclude the HOV lane from keep right except to pass and slower traffic keep right until this was introduced. Therefore, the HOV wasn't excluded. Therefore, you were not correct to assume it was.

Straight from the provincial government:

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2013-2017/2015TRAN0030-000384.htm

The left-most lane does not include bus lanes or HOV lanes. On Highway 1 through Burnaby, for example, the left-most lane is the one next to the HOV lane.

How do you like being dead ass wrong.. again?

IXbDcOX.jpg

Look at the stretch of Highway 10 between 172 and 152. 4 lanes and a center diver for most of it. Pretty much flat and a straight line. Speed limit is 80 km/h. No reason it shouldn't be 100 km/h, its the going speed on that stretch. I've even found myself going 120 just to keep up with the flow of traffic.

Most speed limits are a complete joke and set low on purpose for revenue generation.

No doubt but the safety level of our cars is way below what it should be. Driving over the years on the highway you see wrecks and the ones these days are truly horrific.

European auto safety standards need to be implemented world wide imho

I watched some ridiculous stuff the other morning. I worked nightshift and was driving home at like 3:30AM, and I turn onto a street behind some guy in a security car. This guy is going 20km/h in a 50 zone for a good few minutes, and swerving into the other lane and back. He drove on the line a few times, and at one point he was in the oncoming traffic lane for a good minute. He almost head-on collision'd some poor girl who was driving in that lane. She stopped and he must have woke up or noticed at the last second to turn back into our lane.

I followed him as far as I could before I had to turn home. Phoned his security company and the po-po.

I sincerely hope I'm never stuck behind vancouvercanucks2010 on the highway. I speed from time to time (not a lot, but 5-15km over depending on road conditions) and there is nothing worse than the asshat who feels he is responsible to uphold the law for the safety of everyone. The law says move over, move over. If not, I hope you get ticketed over and over and over until it sinks into your thick, entitled head.

I sincerely hope I'm never stuck behind vancouvercanucks2010 on the highway. I speed from time to time (not a lot, but 5-15km over depending on road conditions) and there is nothing worse than the asshat who feels he is responsible to uphold the law for the safety of everyone. The law says move over, move over. If not, I hope you get ticketed over and over and over until it sinks into your thick, entitled head.

You must trust me on this, I ain't even mad at this. However, I really think you didn't read my post. I am talking about roads slower than 80km/h. I have no choice but to follow the law on the highway, I will stay on the right lane. (Even though I really think staying right except to pass is a pointless, idiotic law, it doesn't really matter what I think about the law, like I have no choice but to obey, like i have to obey the speed limit). So I am not sure why you could get riled up from a stranger. Maybe consider calming down?

Also, I am simply following the law. If following the law (driving at speed limit on the left lane which is slower than 80km/h) enrages you. Seek help. I am not trying to offend you, seriously this is not healthy.

You must trust me on this, I ain't even mad at this. However, I really think you didn't read my post. I am talking about roads slower than 80km/h. I have no choice but to follow the law on the highway, I will stay on the right lane. Like I have no choice but to obey the speed limit. So I am not sure why you could get riled up from a stranger. Maybe consider calming down?

Also, I am simply following the law. If following the law (driving at speed limit on the left lane which is slower than 80km/h) enrages you. Seek help. I am not trying to offend you, seriously this is not healthy.

I don't speed in the city. Well, that's not entirely true. It depends on the road, the surroundings, and weather. I thought you were talking about how you drive everywhere, highway included. I'm not mad, I just find left lane hogs on the highway to be the worst people on the road.

I don't speed in the city. Well, that's not entirely true. It depends on the road, the surroundings, and weather. I thought you were talking about how you drive everywhere, highway included. I'm not mad, I just find left lane hogs on the highway to be the worst people on the road.

My bad, I should make this clearer.

You must trust me on this, I ain't even mad at this. However, I really think you didn't read my post. I am talking about roads slower than 80km/h. I have no choice but to follow the law on the highway, I will stay on the right lane. Like I have no choice but to obey the speed limit. So I am not sure why you could get riled up from a stranger. Maybe consider calming down?

Also, I am simply following the law. If following the law (driving at speed limit on roads slower than 80km/h) enrages you. Seek help. I am not trying to offend you, seriously this is not healthy.

I understand your point, but even the new rule encourages going above the speed limit. So how are you so stubborn as to stick to the limit at all times?

There's these amazing things called unwritten rules of the road. They are invaluable to drivers everywhere - stuff like turning into the lane closest to you as opposed to the further one (I see this one WAY too frequently, and almost got sideswiped in a double-turning lane, where the left lane crossed over into the far lane where I was turning), not driving in people's blind spots, and yes, separate lanes for those who wish to do slightly faster than the speed limit.

If you want to drive the speed limit, more power to you. But you pay taxes (I assume since you are such an honest and law-abiding citizen) and so do other people who use the roads. It is for sharing. The road is not yours solely. Do your fellow taxpayers a favour and stick to right-hand lanes except if you are planning to turn left.

I suppose you're ok with blocking the left lane when guy is trying to rush his wife to the hospital because she's in labour... I guess they should have planned that better.

Straight from the provincial government:

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2013-2017/2015TRAN0030-000384.htm

How do you like being dead ass wrong.. again?

IXbDcOX.jpg

So, you were just hanging onto this 'smoking gun' for what reason? Oh, that's right, it's an article from 14 days after the last post in this thread prior to J.R. bumping it again. Before that there was no proof whatsoever of the HOV lane ever being excluded from the laws in the Motor Vehicle Act.

oJKX50W.gif

I mean seriously, what part about the laws not clearly excluding the HOV lane from the keep right except to pass and slower traffic keep right laws in the Motor Vehicle Act do you not get? Why do you think they've amended them? And what makes you think other laws couldn't be applied to people using the HOV lane unnecessarily and impeding traffic?

You must trust me on this, I ain't even mad at this. However, I really think you didn't read my post. I am talking about roads slower than 80km/h. I have no choice but to follow the law on the highway, I will stay on the right lane. (Even though I really think staying right except to pass is a pointless, idiotic law, it doesn't really matter what I think about the law, like I have no choice but to obey, like i have to obey the speed limit). So I am not sure why you could get riled up from a stranger. Maybe consider calming down?

And what about this law that I posted on the previous page in response to your posts?

Driver on right - Section 150(2) MVA

There is no mention of it being only applicable to roads of 80km/h or more, only multiple laned roadway.

So, you were just hanging onto this 'smoking gun' for what reason? Oh, that's right, it's an article from 14 days after the last post in this thread prior to J.R. bumping it again. Before that there was no proof whatsoever of the HOV lane ever being excluded from the laws in the Motor Vehicle Act.

oJKX50W.gif

I mean seriously, what part about the laws not clearly excluding the HOV lane from the keep right except to pass and slower traffic keep right laws in the Motor Vehicle Act do you not get? Why do you think they've amended them? And what makes you think other laws couldn't be applied to people using the HOV lane unnecessarily and impeding traffic?

Wrong yet again.. LOL

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/topic.page?id=70109AA084314F588A94047A9CB262FD

Keep Right, Let Others Pass

Effective June 2015, motorists are required to keep right and let others pass. This applies to B.C. highways with two or more lanes of traffic travelling in the same direction and a posted speed limit of 80 km/h or greater.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/topic.page?id=3D371236FEFA4EF7BA1599BF726EAF7D

Frequently Asked Questions About the Keep Right, Let Others Pass Law

Why was this new law put into place?

The provincewide Rural Highway Safety and Speed Review identified drivers “hogging” the left lane as a safety concern for the residents of B.C. Despite direction in the Motor Vehicle Act that slow drivers should use the right lane, drivers continued to regularly use the left lane as a travelling lane. The Keep Right, Let Others Pass law allows enforcement officers to impose a fine and penalty points.

The safety of the travelling public is our primary goal. Slower-moving vehicles travelling in the left lane not only reduce the efficiency of the highway system but also cause frustration to many motorists trying to move more quickly. This results in aggressive and erratic driving behavior which is unsafe for everyone.

How does this new rule apply to a driver when there is little or no traffic on the highway?

When there is little traffic, and no one is approaching from behind, a driver can travel in the left-most lane. This allows drivers on four-lane highways in rural areas to keep a greater distance from the side of the road where there may be wildlife.

When the highway is congested (e.g. rush hour traffic), does a driver have to force his/her vehicle into the right lane?

No. When the speed of traffic is 50 km/h or slower, a driver may remain in the left hand lane. However, when traffic speed rises above 50 km/h, the driver should move into the right hand lane.

When a highway has a left HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane, which lane is considered the left most one?

The left-most lane does not include bus lanes or HOV lanes. If a highway has an HOV travel lane, the left-most lane is the one next to the HOV lane.

If the right lane contains debris, can the driver use the left lane?

Yes. If the left lane is clear and the right lane is not, the driver may remain in the left lane where it is safer to remain in the left lane.

If a driver is driving in the left lane at the posted speed limit and another vehicle approaches from behind, does the driver need to move out of the left lane?

Yes. The rule requires the driver to move out of the left lane even if the driver is driving at the posted speed limit.

RecentImperfectArizonaalligatorlizard.gi

Sorry not everybody is as calm and collected as you. Some people just have stressful days at work and they just want to get home. If you honestly have nowhere urgent or important to ever go, then just move over for the people who do.

It's not about mental health it's common sense and I can say when people DON'T use common sense it can be really frustrating to watch. There's a difference between road rage and being frustrated.

There was somebody driving the speed limit in the HOV lane when I was driving home this morning. Everyone passed them. A Grandpa and Grandma enjoying a Sunday Drive. It wasn't a big deal. I hear old people drive like this.

tumblr_m57ojsR1rO1rvfy6do1_500.gif

Another June 2015 article? Really?

I have no idea why you keep posting links to articles around the new clarification of the laws. It's like you aren't reading or understanding anything about what we've been saying all this time, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

But feel free to show me where you had proof during the earlier debate about how I was wrong by quoting more articles from this month...

nmDuFv0.gif

There was somebody driving the speed limit in the HOV lane when I was driving home this morning. Everyone passed them. A Grandpa and Grandma enjoying a Sunday Drive. It wasn't a big deal. I hear old people drive like this.

And this is where people's lack of understanding comes into play yet again. Assuming this was on Hwy 1 going through the greater Vancouver area, the HOV isn't active on the weekends. Those people should have been driving in one of the right-most lanes.

Archived