The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Stanley Cup Playoff Chart

cleowin

Y did my thread get locked because of this? I dont like this guessing what we need to clinch. If we go 5-5-1 we could still miss the playoffs. It all depends on what the other teams do. If they go 11-0-0 or something like that, it would take more than 5-5-1. My thread never included a magic number, and is nothing like this thread IMHO. I really dont understand why it got locked over this.

Yeah, but that's not possible. For one they play each other, also we are likely to get loser-points over mostly outright losses, and the typical playoff cut-off is from 93-96 points. It took 97 in 2011, which means worst-case we need 9 points out of 10 games. Last two games are Edmonton and Phoenix, and if they can't get 4 points from there then they don't deserve to be in.

Monday, March 23rd, 2015:

Magic Number Charts have been updated!

CAR is the 5th team to be eliminated from Playoff Contention!

5-5-0 Record needed to clinch 2nd in the division!

I have fixed many errors in my chart. (Human error mistakes have decreased considerably, as I check it frequently)

Monday, March 23rd, 2015:

CAR is the 5th team to be eliminated from Playoff Contention!

5-5-0 Record needed to clinch 2nd in the division!

What if Calgary goes 6-2-1 or better, or LA 7-2-1 or better?

Looks like right now, mathematically we need to go 8-2-0 to be guaranteed 2nd.

What odds for Canucks to win the Pacific Division?

Hear me out...

Two games in hand and 9 points back with 10 games to play.

Ducks currently on a 2 game loss streak

Canucks 3 game win streak

5 points adrift assuming Canucks win both games in hand. Plus, the Canucks currently hold the ROW tie breaker.

I might be dreaming but funnier things have happened...

Tuesday, March 24th, 2015:

CBJ & PHI have been eliminated by Magic #! (6th & 7th).

VAN needs 4-5-0 Record to clinch a playoff spot & 2nd in the Pacific!

VAN needs 9-0-0 Record to clinch the Pacific Division! (Anaheim would need to go 4-2-1).

Explanation of Pace Formula:

The pace formula is very simple. It's Total Points / Games Played * 82 (Total Games in Season).

By evaluating the chart, if you look under the 'Pace' section of the Chart, all you have to do is look at the 9th placed team's Pace, and then you know what the point total is to clinch a spot.

The Pace formula is based on the most common output given the pace of a current team.

For example, the Calgary Flames currently have 87 points in 74 GP. applying the formula, you get a final number rounded to 96. Since they are the 9th placed team If they win out, you just add a single point to ensure a playoff spot, thus the playoff clinching # is 97.

97 Points - 90 Points (Vancouver) = 7 Points.

3-6-1 Record = 7 points.

Of course there's always the potential for every team to go above that pace, but statistically speaking, the variation won't be more than 3-5 points up or down, so the pace is a safe assumption.

Since no one understands, I'll start posting the REAL clinching # which is based on the X/Y/Z/P columns.

VAN needs 7-2-0 record to clinch a playoff spot.

VAN needs 7-2-0 record to clinch 3rd in the Pacific Division

VAN needs 7-1-1 record to clinch 2nd in the Pacific Division

VAN needs 9-0-0 record plus a 4-3-0 record by ANA to clinch the Pacific Division!

Of course there's always the potential for every team to go above that pace, but statistically speaking, the variation won't be more than 3-5 points up or down, so the pace is a safe assumption.

But quite a massive one. If we're talking pace, then standings would stay about the same as they are now, because the contending teams have been upholding a similar pace.

Since no one understands, I'll start posting the REAL clinching # which is based on the X/Y/Z/P columns.

VAN needs 7-2-0 record to clinch a playoff spot.

VAN needs 7-2-0 record to clinch 3rd in the Pacific Division

VAN needs 7-1-1 record to clinch 2nd in the Pacific Division

VAN needs 9-0-0 record plus a 4-3-0 record by ANA to clinch the Pacific Division!

Much better, cuz based on facts, not magic ;)

Although, there still should be "magic numbers" that take into consideration all teams, such as "7" -- combination of points gained or lost compared to another team, etc. Harder to do straight wins-and-losses because of loser points.

Thursday, March 26th, 2015:

NYR has clinched a playoff spot! (1st)

NJD has been eliminated from Magic # Contention (8th)

VAN needs 3-4-1 record to clinch a playoff spot (Pace) / 7-1-0 Record (Real)

VAN needs 3-4-1 record to clinch 3rd in the Pacific Division (Pace) / 7-1-0 Record (Real)

VAN needs 4-3-1 record to clinch 2nd in the Pacific Division (Pace) / 7-0-1 Record (Real)

Friday, March 27th, 2015:

VAN needs 3-5-0 record to clinch a playoff spot (Pace) / 6-2-0 Record (Real)

VAN needs 3-5-0 record to clinch 3rd in the Pacific Division (Pace) / 6-2-0 Record (Real)

Saturday, March 28th, 2015:

MTL, NSH & ANA have clinched playoff spots! (2nd, 3rd & 4th)

BUF has clinched 16th in the Eastern Conference

VAN needs 2-4-1 Record to clinch a playoff spot (Pace) / 5-1-1 Record (Real)

VAN needs 3-4-0 Record to clinch 2nd in the division Pace) / 6-1-0 Record (Real)

Archived