The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Yakupov's name out in trade mill - 3 teams interested

How things would have likely changed if the Oilers built their team the right way which is down the middle first. I know this is all in hindsight so it doesn't mean a whole lot. But this is how I see things playing out if they started their first tank year by taking Seguin instead of Hall.

2010 - Seguin. Two players with almost equal skill. Take the center. They already drafted a left winger the year before.

2011 - Landeskog. Nugent-Hopkins is skilled, but too small for the tougher west and not a franchise center. Trade down and take Landeskog to give Seguin a skilled winger to play with. Wait for your second line center next draft.

2012 - Galchenyuk. Take the bigger more physical center now that one is available. Trade down and take him at 2 or 3.

2013 - Nurse. Good selection. They need a franchise D-man.

2014 - Dal Colle. Since Seguin and Galchenyuk are your number 1 and number 2, there's no need for Draisaitl. Take the best winger available.

Landeskog - Seguin - Eberle

Dal Colle - Galchenyuk - ?

Nurse - Schultz

Second line right winger acquired through free agency, or through through the assets received from trading down two years.

Easy to say this now, but I honestly think if it all started with Seguin, things would have changed quite a bit for the Oilers. Would these players have become the same players playing in Edmonton? No one will know. I think it's interesting to look back and imagine how things could have played out though.

2010 - I think in theory it makes sense to go with Seguin, but there's a reason he's in DAL and not BOS right now. It's hard to say based on Seguin's character whether he would have been the right choice over Hall. I doubt he would have been mature enough to play on a young team and make a difference.

2011 - no doubt they missed big here by taking RNH over Landeskog. Size was a concern, but leadership even more so. Landeskog is a born leader and what Edmonton's young core is desperately missing.

2012 - in a perfect world, Morgan Rielly or Alex Galchenyuk remain healthy and is taken 1st overall. Burke wasn't kidding when he said he would have taken Rielly if he had the #1 pick, and I think he's right in terms of overall potential (I personally like Trouba as BP from 2012 as of right now, but time will tell). That being said, in a do-over where everything went as they did (with Rielly and Gally getting injured), trade down and take Galchenyuk.

2013 - Nurse or Ristolainen? Nurse was a solid pick, but Ristolainen is NHL-ready now. Still too early so I'd say good pick with Nurse, like you did.

2014 - Bennett over Draisaitl because BPA - even if they went Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Nurse previously.

Also, I would have kept Gagner. Galchenyuk today is not a 1C and without RNH or Seguin, they need someone there.

Landeskog - Gagner - Eberle

Hall - Galchenyuk - ______

______ - Bennett - ______

Nurse - Schultz

How things would have likely changed if the Oilers built their team the right way which is down the middle first. I know this is all in hindsight so it doesn't mean a whole lot. But this is how I see things playing out if they started their first tank year by taking Seguin instead of Hall.

2010 - Seguin. Two players with almost equal skill. Take the center. They already drafted a left winger the year before.

2011 - Landeskog. Nugent-Hopkins is skilled, but too small for the tougher west and not a franchise center. Trade down and take Landeskog to give Seguin a skilled winger to play with. Wait for your second line center next draft.

2012 - Galchenyuk. Take the bigger more physical center now that one is available. Trade down and take him at 2 or 3.

2014 - Dal Colle. Since Seguin and Galchenyuk are your number 1 and number 2, there's no need for Draisaitl. Take the best winger available.

Nurse - Schultz

Second line right winger acquired through free agency, or through through the assets received from trading down two years.

Easy to say this now, but I honestly think if it all started with Seguin, things would have changed quite a bit for the Oilers. Would these players have become the same players playing in Edmonton? No one will know. I think it's interesting to look back and imagine how things could have played out though.

You miss the additions of the possible extra early picks for the pleasure of trading down. You're right. The Oilers are a different team by far

Hindsight though. The guys they took and where they took them wasn't a huge shocker. Years past the canucks should have drafted subban, lucic, nyquist etc and they'd be a better team.... You can say that about every team. No drafting record is perfect. Take the best player available and hope he develops as projected.

Hindsight though. The guys they took and where they took them wasn't a huge shocker. Years past the canucks should have drafted subban, lucic, nyquist etc and they'd be a better team.... You can say that about every team. No drafting record is perfect. Take the best player available and hope he develops as projected.

You're speaking of later picks though in years the canucks were dominant.

We are speaking of Oilers teams that had specific needs and ignored them. They needed a franchise center and took Taylor, not Tyler. Needed a franchise winger took RNH not Landeskog, needed a Franchise D man or 2nd line center took Yakupov instead of Galchenyuk or Reilly/Reinhart

These aren't aberrations as they took the BPA without question by all accounts.

BUT! They ignored not only organizational needs doing it, but also development processes as well by rushing all of them in. As it stands the only player they've drafted in the top 3 worth the draft position is Taylor Hall. Where yet again when we look back at the line up that was proposed in the DeNiro what if scenario....hard to say the Oilers wouldn't be a dominant and scary team.

And this si without even mentioning their complete and utter failures in regards to 2nd and 3rd round picks

It's one thing to miss a sleeper 29 other teams passed on in the 1st round, and another to miss out on the better of the top 2 or 3 prospects, or at least top 10 in a number of drafts.

Nurse - Schultz

Me and a friend have gone over this scenario before. Even at the time of each selection. You would think it would be common sense to build from the centre out, but I guess the Oilers missed the memo.

Archived