The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Crosby out for 2 games (weekend) - to be tested for mumps

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sidney-crosby-will-sit-2-games-being-tested-for-mumps-1.2871852

Pittsburgh Penguins star forward Sidney Crosby will sit out the next two games as a precaution while the team awaits test results for the mumps.

Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford released a statement after the 27-year-old appeared in front of the media Friday with considerable swelling on the right side of his face.

"There is no indication at this time that this is the mumps, but we are going to hold him out as a precaution," Rutherford said. "We'll have additional test results in a few days."

A source confirmed to ESPN.com that Crosby tested negative for mumps.

Swelling of the glands is one of the symptoms of the mumps virus that has been plaguing the NHL this season.

Crosby spoke to the media after practice, and believed at the time that he would play in Friday's game against Calgary.

He missed Thursday's practice with an unspecified illness. Two players from the New Jersey Devils were recently diagnosed with the mumps.

Divisional rivals Adam Larsson and Travis Zajac both contracted the illness. A photo of Larsson's equally swollen face has made the rounds on social media.

8649c4a0-8230-11e4-af16-bf8701ba441c_B4r

Oh man.... what will happen to my fantasy team now...!??!?!??

The Mumps virus could have either undergone a mutation, or the vaccine they used wasn't meant for long term immunity.

Just did a quick Google search. You're right, it mutated. Stupid hicks who think that the government is trying to poison them (many twits in the US south) managed to continually spread the virus around to other twits who never got vaccinated until it mutated enough to infect people who have been vaccinated.

Just did a quick Google search. You're right, it mutated. Stupid hicks who think that the government is trying to poison them (many twits in the US south) managed to continually spread the virus around to other twits who never got vaccinated until it mutated enough to infect people who have been vaccinated.

yikes...

Well that's ignorant.

For starters, it's not "twits in the US south" that aren't vaccinating their children. The no-immunizations movement has been led by rich people in states like California. In fact, "Some Los Angeles schools have incredibly low vaccination rates, on par with immunization rates in some parts of Africa, according to a U.S. report."

And it's not just the US. Alberta, for example, had a mumps outbreak last year resulting from lowered immunization rates. We've been lucky so far here, but "Half of Lower Mainland elementary school vaccination rates too low for measles protection." In fact, Chilliwack Times reported that, "vaccination rate too low in more than two-thirds of Chilliwack schools." And Toronto schools aren't any better.

And that's what a 2-minute Google search found. So maybe look a little more closely before blaming others for a problem people here are actively contributing to!

Well that's ignorant.

For starters, it's not "twits in the US south" that aren't vaccinating their children. The no-immunizations movement has been led by rich people in states like California. In fact, "Some Los Angeles schools have incredibly low vaccination rates, on par with immunization rates in some parts of Africa, according to a U.S. report."

And it's not just the US. Alberta, for example, had a mumps outbreak last year resulting from lowered immunization rates. We've been lucky so far here, but "Half of Lower Mainland elementary school vaccination rates too low for measles protection." In fact, Chilliwack Times reported that, "vaccination rate too low in more than two-thirds of Chilliwack schools." And Toronto schools aren't any better.

And that's what a 2-minute Google search found. So maybe look a little more closely before blaming others for a problem people here are actively contributing to!

In the majority of the Northeast U.S., you can't even go to school anymore if you don't have your vaccinations. As to Los Angeles/Southern California, I'll leave that subject alone like I did one other time because it isn't worth the cr*p that I would bring onto myself for what I would say, even if I said it tactfully.

In Texas, there was a huge measles outbreak last year, 10 years after it was declared eliminated in the U.S.

It's not just the South that has low vaccination rates, it's also in redneck states. The only notable exception in the Northeast U.S. is Pennsylvania because of it's large Amish population.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6230a3.htm?s_cid=mm6230a3_e#Tab1

The outlier to me is Colorado. They have the lowest, but I've only been in Colorado twice before. I don't know a whole lot about their communities.

*edit* Overall, Texas is one of the better vaccinated states but their are large pockets of those hicks that I talked about that refused vaccinations.

In the majority of the Northeast U.S., you can't even go to school anymore if you don't have your vaccinations. As to Los Angeles/Southern California, I'll leave that subject alone like I did one other time because it isn't worth the cr*p that I would bring onto myself for what I would say, even if I said it tactfully.

In Texas, there was a huge measles outbreak last year, 10 years after it was declared eliminated in the U.S.

It's not just the South that has low vaccination rates, it's also in redneck states. The only notable exception in the Northeast U.S. is Pennsylvania because of it's large Amish population.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6230a3.htm?s_cid=mm6230a3_e#Tab1

The outlier to me is Colorado. They have the lowest, but I've only been in Colorado twice before. I don't know a whole lot about their communities.

*edit* Overall, Texas is one of the better vaccinated states but their are large pockets of those hicks that I talked about that refused vaccinations.

Not really sure why you feel the need to judge some US states as "red neck" (based on?) or what that has to do with your previous incorrect claim that the measles outbreak was the fault of "twits in the American South," especially since according to your own linked source the Southern states are NOT the ones with the lowest immunization rates and in fact the only US state approaching 100% immunization is a Southern state - Mississippi. In reality, the US states with the lowest immunization rates (excluding the territories) are Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Washington. You know, decidedly not Southern states.

But the real question is how does that address that the exact same problem with lowering immunization rates exists in Canada?

Though some doubt the accuracy of their numbers, according to a 2013 UNICEF report, Canada is below average for immunizations, ranking a mere 28th out of 29 industrialized nations with an 84% immunization rate that has been falling for years. Places in Africa (as well as the US, btw) have higher vaccination rates than Canada does. And there have been multiple measles outbreaks in Canada as a result, including a small one this year in Chilliwack AND "Since the beginning of 2011, Québec has been experiencing the largest outbreak of measles in the Americas since the disease was declared eliminated in 2002." So, if anyone is "causing" the outbreak, it's far more likely Canada's fault than US "red necks" or "Southern twits."

The point is immunization is an important health concern for everyone. Pointing ignorant fingers and saying it's "their" problem or "their" fault does not actually address the reality, much less do anything to address the problem.

Not really sure why you feel the need to judge some US states as "red neck" (based on?) or what that has to do with your previous incorrect claim that the measles outbreak was the fault of "twits in the American South," especially since according to your own linked source the Southern states are NOT the ones with the lowest immunization rates and in fact the only US state approaching 100% immunization is a Southern state - Mississippi. In reality, the US states with the lowest immunization rates (excluding the territories) are Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, and Washington. You know, decidedly not Southern states.

But the real question is how does that address that the exact same problem with lowering immunization rates exists in Canada?

Though some doubt the accuracy of their numbers, according to a 2013 UNICEF report, Canada is below average for immunizations, ranking a mere 28th out of 29 industrialized nations with an 84% immunization rate that has been falling for years. Places in Africa (as well as the US, btw) have higher vaccination rates than Canada does. And there have been multiple measles outbreaks in Canada as a result, including a small one this year in Chilliwack AND "Since the beginning of 2011, Québec has been experiencing the largest outbreak of measles in the Americas since the disease was declared eliminated in 2002." So, if anyone is "causing" the outbreak, it's far more likely Canada's fault than US "red necks" or "Southern twits."

The point is immunization is an important health concern for everyone. Pointing ignorant fingers and saying it's "their" problem or "their" fault does not actually address the reality, much less do anything to address the problem.

I have no idea about Canada's immunization rates. That's why I didn't say anything detailed about them. I have no idea if it's going up or down.

As to my opinion overall of certain states, that comes from having been to most of the mainland states. The people that I've known from the two remote states, are decent people. Alaskans are pretty diverse.

Although every Hawaiian I've ever met has told me, when asked, that there are pockets of people on the islands that aren't very fond of white people and that if I ever visit one and somebody calls me a "Haole", I should turn and walk away.

Archived