The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Thoughts] Teemu Selanne Statue in Winnipeg?

Monty

I dont think they should do it, especially not in the 'shooting the glove with a hockey stick' pose, it was lame then and it would be more lame in the form of a statue.

If the Jets need a statue they should do one of Hawerchuk or some other good player who was there a while longer. Maybe a statue of Byfuglien double fisting Big Macs.

It is amazing to see how much Winnipeg value's him. I mean his time there was somewhat brief. It is quite amazing.

It would be (kind of) like Schnieder retiring with the Devils and a statue of him appear in Vancouver...maybe not quite the same but still.

If there's a statue of Wayne Gretzky in the plaza area of The Staples Center (Gretzky never played in The Staples Center), then let winnipeg have a statue of Selanne

To be fair, that has nothing to do with Gretzky, just the location changed. It like saying that Stan Smyl's number shouldn't be retired in Rogers Arena just because Smyl only played in the Pacific Coliseum.

The Staples Center is the successor arena to the Great Western Forum, thus the statue should be there. Be weird if the old arena has been redeveloped to something else completely different and then suddenly a hockey statue out there and out of place.

As for the statue of Selanne.... he's not even the greatest player to have ever been a Winnipeg Jet. Bobby Hull, Dale Hawerchuck are ahead of Teemu. Then there are other good players that also had a good stint with the Jets.... Keith Tkachuk, Phil Housley, Randy Carlyle, etc.

Then there are other good players that also had a good stint with the Jets.... Keith Tkachuk, Phil Housley, Randy Carlyle, etc.

Ew. Tkachuk is a terrible memory for many Jets fans. Off the ice, the guy was widely regarded as one of the biggest d-bags around. While I agree with majority of people that it would be pretty weird to have a statue of Selanne made, there is no player in Jets history more undeserving than Tkachuk.

Well, when the Jets were in financial trouble and getting ready to leave, all they had to cheer for was Selanne. They were a terrible team with no hope at a cup. All the Jets fans had to cling to was Selanne when they were relocating. He was all they had left. So I do understand why they want a statue for him. I do think it's unnecessary, given he played there briefly, but I understand why they would. He was basically the only light they had in a dark time.

Archived