The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vaccine-free daycare criticized by Ottawa Public Health

Lockout Casualty

Vaccine-free daycare criticized by Ottawa Public Health

East-end daycare says they want to protect kids during a vulnerable post-vaccine period

An east Ottawa daycare that bills itself as "vaccine-free" is being criticized by Ottawa Public Health, which says it’s a health risk for students who go there.

​Paapa and Melissa Abekah, who own the daycare, say they started looking into vaccines when they were expecting the birth of their child and decided not to vaccinate her.
"The first thing that we want to say is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. This isn't to say those people who vaccinate don't have their child's best interest at heart," Paapa said.
"We thought let's look at what's in these vaccines, let's look at what some of the legislation is in place [in terms of] the companies who put these vaccines in place, let's look at vaccine injuries that have happened to people in Canada, the U.S., all over the world. After looking at all those things, our conclusion was, 'OK, we're not going to vaccinate.'"
They said they set up their daycare for other parents who are worried about their child's health when they're around recently vaccinated people.
"The live vaccine that's administered to you, you carry that vaccine. It's a virus," Paapa said.
"You're a walking, living, breathing virus for at least 30 days, and in some cases longer. Your body is built to be able to fight it off; that's why [for] a lot of people there's no problem with the vaccine. But in cases where you have someone who is already immunodeficient and they get a vaccine, it's sometimes a recipe for trouble, that's where a vaccine injury happens a lot of the time."
Ottawa Public Health says licensed daycares have to either ensure that children they’re taking care of have vaccinations or a written exemption for medical, moral or religious reasons.
Marie-Claude Turcotte, its program manager for vaccine preventable disease, said the danger is that an infectious disease could pass easily among a group of children who aren't vaccinated.
"Assuming they’re unvaccinated from birth, it definitely is a concern for those children," she said.
"If there was a case where they were in contact with someone who has one of those contagious diseases, they would definitely be at risk."
Melissa Abekah said the children at their daycare have either not been vaccinated or have delayed their vaccination.
She said they don't require written proof that the people who bring their children there have refused vaccines for medical, moral or religious reasons, but do get them to sign a form saying their children aren't vaccinated and they recognize the daycare is a vaccine-free area.
No measles in Ottawa, but concern elsewhere
The daycare is being offered as officials in the City of Toronto and several American states warn about potential measles outbreaks after a number of recent confirmed cases.
Ottawa Public Health says there are currently no cases of measles in the City of Ottawa.
"We don't make our decisions based on fear. Most people will make decisions based on fear and what they can do to protect their child, hence the reason why they choose vaccination," Melissa Abekah said.
"If you take time to research what [measles] actually is, it's a rash and a fever, it lasts for a few days, there has not been any death in like two years. I mean, people die from obesity."
The World Health Organization says measles is one of the leading causes of death among young children worldwide, although deaths are rare in Canada.
Turcotte said vaccines are the most effective way for people to protect themselves from infectious diseases such as measles.
No, it's not The Onion or The Beaverton.

I literally don't know what to say, it's just so ridiculously stupid. Degree of facetiousness when suggesting we need a licensing program to procreate gets lower every time I read something like this.

Whats the worry? If your kids are vaccinated why the f do you care?

Oh wait because vacinnes are a short term solution?

Because pharmacetical companies make billions from your tax dollars and ensure its the safest way.

The world health organization fails to mention how the children around the world who die from measles would also die from the flu or common cold as they dont have enough clan water and food. Which both build your immune system

Because pharmacetical companies make billions from your tax dollars and ensure its the safest way.

The world health organization fails to mention how the children around the world who die from measles would also die from the flu or common cold as they dont have enough clan water and food. Which both build your immune system

People care because:

1) Vaccines aren't 100% effective, and rely on herd immunity to protect everyone.

2) Not everyone can be vaccinated. Some people's bodies (they mention people with compromised immune systems in the article) can't handle fighting off a disease. These people also need to be protected with herd immunity.

So what if companies are making billions? Just because someone makes a profit doesn't mean it's inherently bad. It can be, but that's not evidence one way or another.

And that last sentence makes no sense, like at all. So what if they would die another way? At this point world hunger and common cold and flu cures aren't possible. So let's help people where we can.

Edit: But you are right on one thing. Vaccines are a short term solution. If everyone had the Polio vaccine today, the disease would be 100% gone within 5 years.

Vaccines don't work on everybody, and they aren't 100% effective either. So vulnerable members who aren't immune depend on the immunity of others so they don't come in contact with disease. This daycare is dangerous because you now have a bunch of these vulnerable kids coming in contact.

The ironic thing about anti-vaxers is that they are still protected by vaccination even though they refuse it. Would they be willing to forgo vaccination and take their chances in the past when these diseases were more widespread due to lack of vaccinations. By not getting your kids vaccinated on purpose you are endangering those who want to get them but cannot, or whom the vaccines didn't work on (which you wouldn't know unless you got the disease).

I get the concerns with the pharmaceutical companies but in this case that's just a cruth used by anti-vaccination people in place of real science. Side effects of vaccinations are only severe in very rare cases, and even if they weren't I would still take my chances with them over the risk of contracting serious diseases.

Vaccines don't work on everybody, and they aren't 100% effective either. So vulnerable members who aren't immune depend on the immunity of others so they don't come in contact with disease. This daycare is dangerous because you now have a bunch of these vulnerable kids coming in contact.

The ironic thing about anti-vaxers is that they are still protected by vaccination even though they refuse it. Would they be willing to forgo vaccination and take their chances in the past when these diseases were more widespread due to lack of vaccinations. By not getting your kids vaccinated on purpose you are endangering those who want to get them but cannot, or whom the vaccines didn't work on (which you wouldn't know unless you got the disease).

I get the concerns with the pharmaceutical companies but in this case that's just a cruth used by anti-vaccination people in place of real science. Side effects of vaccinations are only severe in very rare cases, and even if they weren't I would still take my chances with them over the risk of contracting serious diseases.

You clearly have done 0% research and for that i commend you.

The person who coined herd immunity did so before vaccines and stated that 65% was the magic number of people who have contacted the virus and defeated it naturally. This creates a lifetime immunity. The herd theory is being used incorrectly and now says 95% of vaccinated people.

Please read the article i posted before you start posting your own opinions based on 0 research

This high percentage of individuals having long-term immunity [to natural chicken pox] has been compromised by mass vaccination of children which provides at best 70 to 90% immunity that is temporary and of unknown durationshifting chickenpox to a more vulnerable adult population where chickenpox carries 20 times more risk of death and 15 times more risk of hospitalization compared to children. Add to this the adverse effects of both the chickenpox and shingles vaccines as well as the potential for increased risk of shingles for an estimated 30 to 50 years among adults. Dr. Goldberg Ph.D also confirmed by a study in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Measles etc. All life altering diseases.

The parents forcing their kids into this situation by and alrge have been immunized and vaccinated.

it is easy to hold yourself to some higher moral standard of "health" when you're already free of risk.

But risking your children for YOUR beliefs is disgusting.

If a woman can get serious jail time for stopping on a highway to help some ducks cross a road resulting in an auto accident.

Parents who don't vaccinate their kids and then subsequently see their kids infected with said illness deserve jail time for their stupidity.

I can't send my daughter to school with any kind of peanut, but some people can send theirs to school with insufficient vaccinations putting more at risk.

pictures_of_measles_2.jpg

Again, easy for you to hold yourself above others when you're already immune.

Measles etc. All life altering diseases.

The parents forcing their kids into this situation by and alrge have been immunized and vaccinated.

it is easy to hold yourself to some higher moral standard of "health" when you're already free of risk.

But risking your children for YOUR beliefs is disgusting.

If a woman can get serious jail time for stopping on a highway to help some ducks cross a road resulting in an auto accident.

Parents who don't vaccinate their kids and then subsequently see their kids infected with said illness deserve jail time for their stupidity.

I can't send my daughter to school with any kind of peanut, but some people can send theirs to school with insufficient vaccinations putting more at risk.

pictures_of_measles_2.jpg

Again, easy for you to hold yourself above others when you're already immune.

When your grandparents were in school was peanuts an issue? No it wasn't. Either was most allergens and asthma. Why are they now?

I have had chicken pox. It lasts a short period of time. The vaccine lasts 3 years while never being 100% effective. Then the older you get the more likely you are to get more harm done to you from chicken pox.

Again you clearly pick a worse case scenario and use as your basis. I had heart surgery 5hr into my life and have had 2ce more. Every kid is going to need heart surgery right? Do you know that childs eating habits, his mothers during pregnancy? Seeing as obesity is well over 30% in north america there is a high chance it was poor.

ccording to the CDC there were 222 cases of measles in 2011 (35-56% of which occurred in the vaccinated population), 54 in 2012, and 189 in 2013. As of April 10, 2014 there have only been 108 confirmed cases of measles. According to the CDC, measles isnt a deadly disease it is an illness characterized by a generalized rash lasting ≥3 days, a temperature of ≥101°F [≥38.3°C], and cough, coryza, or conjunctivitis.

Stop freaking out about 200 out of 350,000,000

More people die to obesity yet the food industry hasnt changed, more additives and gmo are being okayed every year.

I bet more people die crossing the road in canada then die of measles in the usa

Again stop being part of the big fear

You clearly have done 0% research and for that i commend you.

The person who coined herd immunity did so before vaccines and stated that 65% was the magic number of people who have contacted the virus and defeated it naturally. This creates a lifetime immunity. The herd theory is being used incorrectly and now says 95% of vaccinated people.

Please read the article i posted before you start posting your own opinions based on 0 research

This high percentage of individuals having long-term immunity [to natural chicken pox] has been compromised by mass vaccination of children which provides at best 70 to 90% immunity that is temporary and of unknown durationshifting chickenpox to a more vulnerable adult population where chickenpox carries 20 times more risk of death and 15 times more risk of hospitalization compared to children. Add to this the adverse effects of both the chickenpox and shingles vaccines as well as the potential for increased risk of shingles for an estimated 30 to 50 years among adults. Dr. Goldberg Ph.D also confirmed by a study in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what you're saying is it's better for 65% of people to actually get the disease and beat it rather than have 95 percent of people just get the vaccine and not have to deal with the disease at all? What about the people that get the disease and don't beat it? As well, the herd immunity threshold is only 95% for some diseases. It varies depending on the disease.

As for your quote, it carries some truth-for one-dose chicken pox vaccinations. Which is why since then it's been recommended that kids simply get a second dose of the vaccine. The NEJM study you referenced that confirms the age shift effect makes this exact recommendation - it doesn't say that no should get the vaccine. In other words that quote is out of date because we've already solved the problem. Newer studies show that after the second shot is administered, protection becomes much more permanent.

Just curious tbh.

What part of my last post did you read if any?

If 35-56% of people who got measles had the vaccine whats the point?

Let me know when you start logically analysing because it sounds like you work for the drug administration or a pharm company atm.

I am truly curious why you would promote a vaccine with many chemicals that are not natural for a human when it doesn't work.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what you're saying is it's better for 65% of people to actually get the disease and beat it rather than have 95 percent of people just get the vaccine and not have to deal with the disease at all? What about the people that get the disease and don't beat it? As well, the herd immunity threshold is only 95% for some diseases. It varies depending on the disease.

As for your quote, it carries some truth-for one-dose chicken pox vaccinations. Which is why since then it's been recommended that kids simply get a second dose of the vaccine. The NEJM study you referenced that confirms the age shift effect makes this exact recommendation - it doesn't say that no should get the vaccine. In other words that quote is out of date because we've already solved the problem. Newer studies show that after the second shot is administered, protection becomes much more permanent.

John Tortorella, take the time to really do some research before I come into this discussion after my exams pass.

Oh no. Theres a snake in my boots.

I guess the center for disease control is not a valid source? Okay then.

Gl on exams but just remember the people who create many if not most textbooks mcgraw hill also own standards and poor the rating agency who had alot to do with stock crash as they were falsely rating prior to 2008.

That being said, don't trust everything you read. But gl anyways

Well my brother in laws son became autistic after being fully vaccinated. Apparently his immune system just completely shut down. The chances of that are suppose to be rare but I saw it happen which is scary. Obviously we need vaccinations but it also seems to be a bit of a gamble at least in my experience.

Just curious tbh.

What part of my last post did you read if any?

If 35-56% of people who got measles had the vaccine whats the point?

Let me know when you start logically analysing because it sounds like you work for the drug administration or a pharm company atm.

I am truly curious why you would promote a vaccine with many chemicals that are not natural for a human when it doesn't work.

I read your entire article and the arguments it made have either been debunked or are based on selective information. For example, that New England Journal of Medicine study it quoted. THAT EXACT STUDY RECOMMENDS GETTING VACCINATED AGAINST CHICKEN POX, but the article conveniently left that part out. It's no use citing valid sources if you completely misinterpret or distort what they're saying. As for vaccines not being effective: that's absolutely ridiculous when you compare disease rates from pre-vaccination periods to today. No, they are not 100% effective. That simply makes it more important that everyone who can get vaccinated does so.

"35-56 percent of people who got measles had the vaccine". Well, there are also way more people who are vaccinated against measles than people that aren't. Lets say there are 100 people, and 90 of them are vaccinated and 10 aren't. 10 people get measles, 5 of them vaccinated and 5 aren't. So 1 out of 18 vaccinated people got measles, meanwhile 1 out of every 2 unvaccinated people got measles. Do the math, which group would you rather be a part of? Just because something doesn't work every single time doesn't mean it's not worthwhile. Sure there may be some risks, but in this case the pros vastly outweigh the cons.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jennifer-raff/dear-parents-you-are-being-lied-to-about-vaccines_b_5112620.html

Gl on exams but just remember the people who create many if not most textbooks mcgraw hill also own standards and poor the rating agency who had alot to do with stock crash as they were falsely rating prior to 2008.

Valid source does not mean there's a valid interpretation of the results from you as a reader.

Thanks for the warning but most of my studying at this point focuses on primary literature and research.

When your grandparents were in school was peanuts an issue? No it wasn't. Either was most allergens and asthma. Why are they now?

I have had chicken pox. It lasts a short period of time. The vaccine lasts 3 years while never being 100% effective. Then the older you get the more likely you are to get more harm done to you from chicken pox.

Again you clearly pick a worse case scenario and use as your basis. I had heart surgery 5hr into my life and have had 2ce more. Every kid is going to need heart surgery right? Do you know that childs eating habits, his mothers during pregnancy? Seeing as obesity is well over 30% in north america there is a high chance it was poor.

ccording to the CDC there were 222 cases of measles in 2011 (35-56% of which occurred in the vaccinated population), 54 in 2012, and 189 in 2013. As of April 10, 2014 there have only been 108 confirmed cases of measles. According to the CDC, measles isnt a deadly disease it is an illness characterized by a generalized rash lasting ≥3 days, a temperature of ≥101°F [≥38.3°C], and cough, coryza, or conjunctivitis.

Stop freaking out about 200 out of 350,000,000

More people die to obesity yet the food industry hasnt changed, more additives and gmo are being okayed every year.

I bet more people die crossing the road in canada then die of measles in the usa

Again stop being part of the big fear

With all due respect.

Google Small pox, Measles or any number of illnesses vaccinated on a regular basis these days. Think THAT particular image is a worst case scenario?

If so than you've proven you don't know much about what you're speaking of.

Again, educate yourself.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=25+million+study+vaccine+no+case&form=PRCAEN&pc=U206&refig=eebd6345da5d4b53b286d4a5fbedc944&pq=25+million+study+vaccine+no+case&sc=0-12&sp=-1&qs=n&sk=

There are literally dozens if not hundreds of case studies proving you false. You have a higher probability of winning the lottery getting struck by lightning and then surviving a parachute malfunction on the same day (yes i know it's stupid) than actually contracting an issue categorically linked to vaccination.

Are there possible cases of vaccination caused illness? yes. Possible. Proven? Ha no.

Again, as per Framing Dragon, educate yourself and please quote more than Doctor Jenny MacArthy as your sources because rest assured between her VI and the other 2 people in here doing dedicated studies on the subject.

You're gonna get torn apart pretty quickly no matter how many % signs you toss behind some numbers sans facts

You may be providing valid sources, but you are selectively picking certain sentences just to prove your point, and by doing so you are ignoring the rest of the facts. How about you post a link to an actual research paper or something rather than a poorly written article on some blog?

Edit: All you did was post a link to an article on a natural health website. The writer of the article was very selective about what quotes they incorporated into their article in order to prove their point. Instead of rambling on about how no one is doing research, how about you post a valid link to a valid research paper that proves your point? It'll probably be tough because there are none

you should read this page from the CDC.........

Q: Has measles been eliminated from the United States?

A: Yes. In 2000, the United States declared that measles was eliminated from this country. The United States was able to eliminate measles because it has a highly effective measles vaccine, a strong vaccination program that achieves high vaccine coverage in children and a strong public health system for detecting and responding to measles cases and outbreaks.

Q: What does "measles elimination" mean?

A: Measles elimination is defined as the absence of continuous disease transmission for 12 months or more in a specific geographic area. Measles is no longer endemic (constantly present) in the United States.

Q: Why have there been more measles cases in the United States in recent years?

A: In 2008, 2011, 2013 and 2014, there were more reported measles cases compared with previous years. CDC experts attribute this to:

• more measles cases than usual in some countries to which Americans often travel (such as England, France, Germany, India, the Philippines and Vietnam), and therefore more measles cases coming into the US, and/or
  • more spreading of measles in U.S. communities with pockets of unvaccinated people.

For details about the increase in cases by year, see Measles Outbreaks.

Q: How effective is the measles vaccine?

A: The measles vaccine is very effective. One dose of measles vaccine is about 93% effective at preventing measles if exposed to the virus and two doses is about 97% effective.

Q: How common was measles in the United States before the vaccine?

A: Before the measles vaccination program started in 1963, we estimate that about 3 to 4 million people got measles each year in the United States. Of those people, 400 to 500 died, 48,000 were hospitalized, and 4,000 developed encephalitis (brain swelling) from measles.

http://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/faqs.html

your quotes from the CDC page that were linked in that blog post you linked lack scientific and statistical understanding.

As someone who actually has worked in numerous daycare centers before this is stupid. Viruses spread like wildfire in child-care establishments. All it would take is one un-vaccinated child and everyone in that environment would be at risk.

Personally as a chjld care provider I would not want to work in a place that promotes this type of behavior. It goes against everything I believe in to willingly put a child at risk this way.

All you anti vacinne people can shout all you want, can throw stats all you want. If cold and flu viruses, hand foot and mouth disease, etc can run through a center and pretty much infect all the kids then more serious life treating childhood disease can as well.

Archived