The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ufa's

cowboy644

I was wandering thru the GM boards on cdc and was reading over the TO/Preds trade.People were posting the Canucks woulkdn't make that deal because Franson wouldn't sign here when he becomes a UFA in July.They are right.Theres really nothing in the lineup that would attract any quality UFA's to come here in the off season.Benning and Linden aren't going to over pay to sign one again.See Ryan Miller.I guess an aging core costs you more than just on the score sheet.

Win lottery. Draft McDavid. Become destination team. Problem solved.

But realistically, we can easily sign stop-gap level UFA's. We already have. I'd probably continue doing that while selling other UFA's at the deadline while their value is high. (Matthias. If we can get a 1st for him right now, DO IT.)

I don't see Franson as worthy to be getting all excited about, (see TO's performance with Franson being a key defender for them) or being worth his upcoming contract. ($5mil per plus, long-term? Ewwwwww.)

If we do sign him or a similar player, then we'll have to be rid of a different defenseman, like Bieksa and/or Tanev.

Franson was born in BC. I know that doesn't mean for sure he'd sign here for sure, but it would give us an advantage.

Depends - some guys like Hamhuis and Garrison wanted to come back, others want to stay away

Franson's favourite team growing up is the Leafs, His best friend is Shea Weber, and he is born in BC. Have to feel those 3 teams have the best chance of signing him under market price. Nashville took a chance and we'll see how it works out for them.

Archived