The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Man dies minutes after getting stolen anniversary ring back

PrideInThisTeam

http://globalnews.ca/news/1870171/man-dies-minutes-after-getting-stolen-ring-back/

A diamond-studded anniversary ring that was stolen from a Saskatoon man’s hospital room has been recovered by police in a pawn shop. But just minutes after his wife put it back on his finger Saturday, Larry Beaucage died of cancer.

Beaucage removed the ring because of concerns his hands could swell from his medication, and his wife, Gail, put in her purse.

Earlier this week, she left the purse on a window ledge at St. Paul’s Hospital while she helped her husband in the washroom, and when she returned it was gone.

Their son, Darcey Beaucage, told radio station CKOM that he thinks his father may have been waiting for the ring before he died.

The couple had been married almost 60 years.

“My mother put it on him and said, ‘See, we have your ring, it’s on your hand.’ She squeezed his hand tight and he didn’t respond. It was only approximately 15 minutes later and he stopped breathing,” Darcey Beaucage said.

“It was either a very great coincidence that he did last long enough to get it back, or that he was waiting for the ring in order to leave us.”

The ring was a gift from Gail to Larry for their 50th wedding anniversary. It is made of white gold and has nine diamonds in a centre cluster.

Gail Beaucage plans to wear the ring on a chain.

Police said they haven’t laid any charges in the case but that they’re still investigating.

Why did you have to post such a story? :(

Not sure what anybody is supposed to say, other than feel sad.

I think its more of a happy ending really...he was obviously terminal, and this was just nice that he got it back before he said good-bye.

RIP.

60 years. Man, if only today's generation could have that sort of dedication.

But being part of "today's generation" by definition means you can't have been married for 60 years, because we haven't even lived to be 60 yet. In fact some of have parents that haven't even lived to be 60 yet. They're mutually exclusive. It's literally impossible to judge young people (many of whom are not yet even married at all) on their ability to stay married because you have to be old to have had a long marriage.

It's like saying Bo Horvat has no longevity or love of the game because he hasn't played as long as Teemu Selanne. Divorce rates are declining, so maybe you should give people a chance.

Or maybe that's the joke, in which case you're a genius.

But being part of "today's generation" by definition means you can't have been married for 60 years, because we haven't even lived to be 60 yet. In fact some of have parents that haven't even lived to be 60 yet. They're mutually exclusive. It's literally impossible to judge young people (many of whom are not yet even married at all) on their ability to stay married because you have to be old to have had a long marriage.

It's like saying Bo Horvat has no longevity or love of the game because he hasn't played as long as Teemu Selanne. Divorce rates are declining, so maybe you should give people a chance.

Or maybe that's the joke, in which case you're a genius.

Valid point. I guess I'm just referring to the many marriages that seem to end before 10 years.

My grandparents were married 64 years before he passed. They had only known each other for a month when they married. She was 19 and he was 21. But that was 1939 in London and he was being deployed to North Africa so things were a little hectic.

I also have a friend who separated after 3 months of marriage after living together for years so you never know.

it's usually a good sign when you have to start remembering how long : :D congrats to them

Funny thing is, I use my oldest sister's age as a yardstick. She was born close to a year after they were married. Problem is, sometimes I can't remember how old she is... :)

Archived