The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The Best 3-on-3 Units around the League

Phil_314

I would say some units on that list is just a mashing-together of the three best players on the respective teams, but chemistry is something that you have to take into consideration IMO - in that sense, some of the units are unrealistic

For instance, TBL would never roll out a Stamkos-Johnson duo, as these two never play together (not even on PP). Same goes with the Kopitar-Carter duo for LAK - it's more likely that you see Carter-Toffoli or Kopitar-Gaborik

I'll do my top 16 (which I'm sure some people will disagree with):

1. WSH (Ovechkin-Backstrom-Green) - Ovie is the best goal scorer in the game and that, my friends, is the trump card in a wide open 3-on-3. Which passer-shooter duo do you want with one shot to win the game?
  2. CHI (Kane-Toews-Keith) - Chemistry, chemistry, chemistry, and 88 was the leading scorer before his injury
  3. PIT (Malkin-Crosby-Letang) - Two of the best but current struggles have them down at #3. To be at #3 and be considered as ranked below their standard goes to show how high this unit's potential is
  4. NYR (Nash-Stepan-Yandle) - Nash is a prime time finisher and a big body to contain, Stepan can hold his own and Yandle is one of the better offensive threats in the game from the blue line
  5. ANA (Perry-Getzlaf-Vatanen) - Again, muchos chemistry and a sniper in Perry
  6. STL (Tarasenko-Lehtera-Pietrangelo) - Really unfortunate that Schwartz is too small (hence too risky) to be centering Tarasenko in a 3-on-3 situation, but having chemistry + elite sniper + elite defenseman easily has this trio up among the best in the game
  7. TBL (Stamkos-Killorn-Hedman) - chemistry + elite sniper + elite defenseman
  8. VAN (Sedin-Sedin-Edler) - Homer? Perhaps, but I did put heavy emphasis on chemistry, and once the Sedins get a hold of the puck 3-on-3, they will cycle the puck into the net - if Daniel could still shoot like he used to, I would have had them ranked even higher
  9. LAK (Toffoli-Carter-Doughty) - Having the best defenseman in the game placed this unit this high
  10. WPG (Wheeler-Little-Byfuglien) - Can't believe this trio was ranked so low
  11. PHI (Voracek-Giroux-Timonen)* - Chemistry of this forward duo should have them higher than #7 and #8, but it's a 3-man unit, and Doughty and Byfuglien beat out Timonen
  12. DAL (Seguin-Benn-Klingberg)* - Speed kills, and so does skill+chemistry that these guys possess
  13. DET (Nyquist-Datsyuk-Kronwall) - Magic Man and his pupil with Lidstrom's understudy
  14. MTL (Pacioretty-Desjarnais-Subban) - Having DD as the center hurts them in the rankings despite having a 40-goal-scorer and a Norris-winner
  15. NYI (Tavares-Okposo-Boychuk) - Tavares and Okposo are great, but it's a 3-man unit, and their 3rd member brings the duo down a little in the standings
  16. NSH (Forsberg-Ribeiro-Weber) - Shea Weber. Enough said

*As of March 17, 2015 - PHI & DAL are the two non-playoff teams that make the top 16 list (Two playoff teams that did not make the list are BOS and MIN)

Oh man would that ever be fun matchups to watch.

• 4 months later...

*BUMP*

With the league going for the 3-on-3 overtime starting next season, I thought it'd be an appropriate time to resurrect this thread.

Given the changes that's happened in the draft, free agency and in trades, which teams do you think could ice the most lethal unit? Would your previous rankings of the groups change (I see the Leafs further falling in the original list and the Sabres getting bumped up with Jack or O'Reilly)?

Discuss.

Archived