The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Airbus A-320 down in French Alps

soda

I dunno man. If you have a pilot whos psychotic or depressed or whatever and wants to crash the plane with everyone on board. As long as he is rational and able to act calmly he will be able to do whats necessary to see it through. Thats if hes determined and wanting to die seems like something you dont do half assed.

Or maybe airline pilots should have mandatory psych reviews every 6 months or something. A review where they cant hide the results from the airline.

EDIT: I take maybe 8 to 12 flights a year. Thousands of flights take off and land safely every day. Once in a while one goes down. Its rare enough that it shouldnt bother the average person enough to cancel a trip because of something like this. Unless you enjoy living your life in fear of everything.

First we try to keep the bad guys from getting into the cockpit. Now we have to find a way for good guys to get into the cockpit.

If there was enough time, this is where a remote takeover of a plane's control would have come in handy. But that's another thread ... MH320

I wouldn't go so far as to take complete remote control of an aircraft, as hackers would be able to hijack planes then. I would make it so the remote control is limited to putting the plane back on its automatic pilot mode. Also, are planes capable of landing themselves with with a predetermined auto pilot setting in emergencies?

What a joke - surely Lufthansa should have known that one of their pilots was a headcase. Do they not screen these people?

Now they're hiding behind "confidentiality." Makes you feel really safe as a passenger. How many more of these nuts do they have working for them?

What a joke - surely Lufthansa should have known that one of their pilots was a headcase. Do they not screen these people?

Now they're hiding behind "confidentiality." Makes you feel really safe as a passenger. How many more of these nuts do they have working for them?

Doctor-patient confidentiality is a legitimate concept, protected by law, especially in Germany where the laws are especially stringent. Lufthansa would have had no way to know if something was wrong, unless the pilot told them. The doctor would also be unable to inform the airline. If you want to blame someone, blame the laws.

The pilot and co-pilot should each have a key that can access the cockpit from the outside.... how much sense would that make

There is actually a number pad that you can enter a code to unlock the door. However there is also a switch in the cockpit that overrides it.

this whole thing stinks to high heaven .. the media has made a decision based on speculation .. something feels very weird to me

The media is always terrible when it comes to aviation. Hours upon hours of hysteria, fear mongering and speculation based on little knowledge.

Archived