The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/ Proposal] Toronto - Edmonton

I think there could be a fit here.

Though both are "rebuilding" teams, they're in different parts of the process. It seems like Edmonton has defined their core (Hall, Ebbs, R.N.H., Yak, Schultz...) but they're not ready to compete without a top-level, minute-munching defender and starting goalie.

Though among their left D-men they have Ference, Marincin and Klefbom, among others, none of them are the tough-minutes guy that Dion Phaneuf is. Paired with Fayne they could have a strong pairing, allowing Jultz and the other kids to grow in lesser roles.

Toronto's still tearing down their roster, with untouchables of J.v.R., Rielly, Bernier and Nylander. If Edmonton gave up Nikitin, either Marincin or Klefbom and a pick I think there could be something for the Leafs to build around, which would lessen the blow of losing their workhorse.

Thoughts?

Phaneuf might be attractive but he's really a #3D. To put him back into a situation where he would be #1 is setting him up for failure again.

The question also with the Oilers would be the cap hit. Do they really want another cracker of a salary at $7M? I doubt it unless they shed a big number in exchange. MacT, or upper management more probably seems to be married to the young stars: Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Schultz and Yakupov. That's the core they're building around according to today's TSN article.

Add Nurse to the list and if they can find a decent goalie and they have the makings of a team.

I felt since Oct that the Oilers were further along than the Leafs.

Phaneuf's NTC says "no deal". Like that ego would go to Edmonton, cmon man. I also doubt Edmonton would be very interested, given his contract and known locker room bullying antics. The guy's a douche bag, zero character, ego maniac, he'll be a great fit in LA or Ana.

I agree the Oilers should be aiming to trade for a captain type minute eating defenseman. Therefore it should make sense to trade for a captain veteran in a situation like this. The only problem is that...it is Dion Phaneuf. He is not the guy to help mentor young kids, bring a positive locker room mentality or build a franchise around. Calgary found that out. Then Toronto did.

Archived