The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No matter how you add it up, Harper’s fiscal record is a catastrophe

Lockout Casualty

Here's Harper's mentality in full force. Short term solutions might create long term problems? Meh, not our problem, it will literally be our children and grandchildren's problem, but screw them.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/stephen-harper-granddaughter-budget-wizard-748345

Finance Minister Joe Oliver isn’t too worried about how this year’s budgetary decisions will affect future governments, preferring to leave that to “Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s granddaughter” to solve.

The federal budget unveiled Tuesday contained the Conservative government’s long-anticipated increase to how much Canadians can contribute to tax-free savings accounts, going from $5,500 to $10,000. It’s likely to be popular with many voters, but critics say it’s an expensive promise that will cost future governments billions in lost revenue and hamper their ability to invest in other areas.

Asked on CBC to respond to this criticism Tuesday, Oliver said any problem that takes decades to fully manifest itself is something best left to future generations.

“I heard that by 2080 we may have a problem,” he said in an interview. “Well, why don’t we leave that to Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s granddaughter to solve that problem.”

Does Oliver expect a future Harper to follow in the family footsteps and become prime minister? It’s unclear what exactly he meant, and CBC correspondent Amanda Lang didn’t press the issue.

For what it’s worth, Prime Minister Harper is not currently a grandfather.

I wasn't expressing surprise, was just saying that life experience leaves Mulcair as the only viable option out of the big three. That said, Trudeau is still more qualified to be a national leader than Harper. He had plenty of exposure to real world leaders at 24 Sussex when his dad was PM.

Wut? No. Trudeau has no qualifications other than his last name. Pierre Trudeau was in office from 1968 to 1979. Justin Trudeau was born in 1971. That is not "plenty of exposure". He was a very small child.

Mulcair is the closest of the bunch to having any kind of real experience, and even that is very limited. He was an academically focused lawyer who became a full time politician in 1994.

Here's Harper's mentality in full force. Short term solutions might create long term problems? Meh, not our problem, it will literally be our children and grandchildren's problem, but screw them.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/stephen-harper-granddaughter-budget-wizard-748345

Finance Minister Joe Oliver isn’t too worried about how this year’s budgetary decisions will affect future governments, preferring to leave that to “Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s granddaughter” to solve.

The federal budget unveiled Tuesday contained the Conservative government’s long-anticipated increase to how much Canadians can contribute to tax-free savings accounts, going from $5,500 to $10,000. It’s likely to be popular with many voters, but critics say it’s an expensive promise that will cost future governments billions in lost revenue and hamper their ability to invest in other areas.

Asked on CBC to respond to this criticism Tuesday, Oliver said any problem that takes decades to fully manifest itself is something best left to future generations.

“I heard that by 2080 we may have a problem,” he said in an interview. “Well, why don’t we leave that to Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s granddaughter to solve that problem.”

Does Oliver expect a future Harper to follow in the family footsteps and become prime minister? It’s unclear what exactly he meant, and CBC correspondent Amanda Lang didn’t press the issue.

so not a visionary leader who hopes to leave Canada in a better place than when he entered politics. Lets not care about anything that won't affect us, so from science, the environment, debt, retirement age, anything that that could make an average (younger) person's future life better. What selfish people.

so not a visionary leader who hopes to leave Canada in a better place than when he entered politics. Lets not care about anything that won't affect us, so from science, the environment, debt, retirement age, anything that that could make an average (younger) person's future life better. What selfish people.

Now if some of those young people who he's most greatly effecting would just vote...

Mulcair is the closest of the bunch to having any kind of real experience, and even that is very limited. He was an academically focused lawyer who became a full time politician in 1994.

A 60 year old, ex-lawyer and 21 year career politician = "very limited" life/political experience? :blink:

Reading a lot of intelligent comments in this thread so I would like to appeal to your logic.

The 1st question Canadians asking should not be, do you trust Muclair or Trudeau or whomever else? It should be, do you trust the current government?

Because if Muclair or Trudeau gets elected, the opposition will make it very difficult for them to do anything damaging. But if you re-elect Harper, it's guaranteed he's going to continue what he's doing.

Fearing the unknown is natural. Not fearing what's in front of you is suicide.

My 2 cents. Simplistic. I tried to keep it short and to the point. Main point in bold.

Now if some of those young people who he's most greatly effecting would just vote...

A 60 year old, ex-lawyer and 21 year career politician = "very limited" life/political experience? :blink:

I vote, but I'm also not that young any more...the people it's really going to hurt are the ones who aren't old enough to vote.

Yes...a very big difference between academic/political experience and real life experience. I'd prefer someone who devoted decades to running a successful business than someone who devoted decades to kissing ass in their party. Unfortunately, the Canadian party system does not really allow for the former to get anywhere, so we are stuck with our line-up of lame ducks.

Because if Muclair or Trudeau gets elected, the opposition will make it very difficult for them to do anything damaging. But if you re-elect Harper, it's guaranteed he's going to continue what he's doing.

Not necessarily. It looks like Harper would win an election but not a majority. The problem now is that Harper has a majority, which allows him to proceed without forming alliances or proper debate.

I like Harper for his tough on crime approach and that he helps families.

Couple new things Harper has done for families that I just learned:

- up to 50grand can be transferred from one income to the lower spouse's income if u have kids (max $2,000 credit)

- child fitness credit up from $500-$1000

- enhanced universal child care payments will include 6yr olds to 17yr old for $60 each kid (will automatically be deposited in your account starting in July). He is also the first to introduce the original payments, including the aforementioned fitness tax credits.

Was this a Freudian slip? It's not common for a politician to say something so ostensibly dumb. Too bad our media doesn't press our politicians to explain themselves, just awful to let this comment slide.

Wut? No. Trudeau has no qualifications other than his last name. Pierre Trudeau was in office from 1968 to 1979. Justin Trudeau was born in 1971. That is not "plenty of exposure". He was a very small child.

I said compared to Harper. It's more a statement to how unqualified Harper is in real-world terms, than how qualified Trudeau is. And a small child is a sponge, I'm sure he picked up a thing or two that he has carried into adulthood.

Yes...a very big difference between academic/political experience and real life experience. I'd prefer someone who devoted decades to running a successful business than someone who devoted decades to kissing ass in their party. Unfortunately, the Canadian party system does not really allow for the former to get anywhere, so we are stuck with our line-up of lame ducks.

I hope I can count your vote in the future. :lol:

I like Harper for his tough on crime approach and that he helps families.

Couple new things Harper has done for families that I just learned:

- up to 50grand can be transferred from one income to the lower spouse's income if u have kids (max $2,000 credit)

- child fitness credit up from $500-$1000

- enhanced universal child care payments will include 6yr olds to 17yr old for $60 each kid (will automatically be deposited in your account starting in July). He is also the first to introduce the original payments, including the aforementioned fitness tax credits.

Most families who can't afford to put their kids into sports can't take advantage of any tax credit. How about making child fitness more accessible, not just reimbursing the families that could afford it already?

Most income transfers will benefit upper middle class and richer folk. Again, those who need the breaks aren't getting it, and if they do qualify, the way it's structured is that the households with smaller incomes get a tiny benefit.

Yeah, enhanced child care benefit... for teenage children. That makes sense.

Harper is buying votes, and ignorant simpletons who don't even get a benefit will lap this crap up. :picard:

He was 39 when he entered politics by my math. That's plenty of time to get his degree, have a career, start a family...what exactly are you looking for here? Seems you are speaking out of your posterior on this particular subject.

He was 39 when he entered politics by my math. That's plenty of time to get his degree, have a career, start a family...what exactly are you looking for here? Seems you are speaking out of your posterior on this particular subject.

Mulcair had very little experience in private practice. He spent the majority of his time on government appointed review panels or in academic positions.

Mulcair has the closest thing to real life experience of the 3, but compared to what you see in the USA, where politicians are war heroes or successful in the private sector, it pales in comparison.

Mulcair had very little experience in private practice. He spent the majority of his time on government appointed review panels or in academic positions.

Mulcair has the closest thing to real life experience of the 3, but compared to what you see in the USA, where politicians are war heroes or successful in the private sector, it pales in comparison.

None of that makes a case for why they would be better than career politicians. Are you saying McCain would make a better leader than Mulcair because he's a vet? Or (shudder) Romney?

Sounds like wishful thinking on your part.

So you're holding up a political system that's even further gone than our own as an example of what to do....? :blink:

Was this a Freudian slip? It's not common for a politician to say something so ostensibly dumb. Too bad our media doesn't press our politicians to explain themselves, just awful to let this comment slide.

I said compared to Harper. It's more a statement to how unqualified Harper is in real-world terms, than how qualified Trudeau is. And a small child is a sponge, I'm sure he picked up a thing or two that he has carried into adulthood.

I hope I can count your vote in the future. :lol:

Most families who can't afford to put their kids into sports can't take advantage of any tax credit. How about making child fitness more accessible, not just reimbursing the families that could afford it already?

Most income transfers will benefit upper middle class and richer folk. Again, those who need the breaks aren't getting it, and if they do qualify, the way it's structured is that the households with smaller incomes get a tiny benefit.

Yeah, enhanced child care benefit... for teenage children. That makes sense.

Harper is buying votes, and ignorant simpletons who don't even get a benefit will lap this crap up. :picard:

How in the world do you think Harper can make sports more accessible? I would say that you have no idea what you are talking about. He IS making it accessible by promoting bigger tax breaks. He is part of government, not a sporting company. All he could do is give tax breaks. You do not make any sense.

The tax break benefits a hell of a lot more families than you think. I would rather he promote teens in sports rather than having them doing drugs and crime, something the Liberals and NDP could care less about.

It also sounds like you never played a sport in your life and have no clue as to how that helps teens/rest of society.

You, sir, appear to be the simpleton.

How in the world do you think Harper can make sports more accessible? I would say that you have no idea what you are talking about. He IS making it accessible by promoting bigger tax breaks. He is part of government, not a sporting company. All he could do is give tax breaks. You do not make any sense.

The tax break benefits a hell of a lot more families than you think. I would rather he promote teens in sports rather than having them doing drugs and crime, something the Liberals and NDP could care less about.

It also sounds like you never played a sport in your life and have no clue as to how that helps teens/rest of society.

You, sir, appear to be the simpleton.

This is like a badge of honor coming from the likes of you. Thank you kindly! ::D

Archived