The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Getting that Special something [proposal]

An offensively gifted puck moving defensemen is something we desperately lack. Weber is average, but is a liability in his own end and makes poor decisions at times.

There looks to be two or three suitable options for us via free agency, but I also believe there needs to be trades made.

To Flyers:

Lack

Corrado

Jensen

23rd overall pick

To Canucks:

7th overall pick

- Philly gets a young d men who they so desperately need, a decent prospect and a young goaltender to split 1/3 of games with Mason. Lack also has the potential to become a good full time starter when Mason's contract expires in two years. Emery's contract is expired and he was less than mediocre all season, doubt he resigns. Lack comes with a small price tag and Philly has 23rd and 26th pick that they could package to trade up.

-Canucks get a pick for another top prospect for the 3rd straight year, which could solidify our prospect core.

To Blue Jackets:

Chris Higgins

Nick Bonino

3rd round pick 2016

To Canucks:

60th overall pick

Artem Anisimov

-Bonino is a replacement for Anisimov, similar numbers and a year younger, 3rd round pick gives a little extra and higgins is worth a late second himself.

To Predators:

Rights to Y. Weber

60th overall pick

To Canucks:

Ryan Ellis

-Preds have d better and younger than Ellis and rights to weber allows them to sign a player similar and the extra second gives them options at the draft and Weber will be slightly cheaper than Weber. Keep in mind he is only 2 years older than Ellis.

To Blues:

Bieksa

To Canucks:

58th overall pick

St. Louis gets another veteran piece to the puzzle and Bieksa waves because he has a chance to win with the Blues. Canucks get to dump 4.6 million and Blues can afford to pick it up.

Draft:

Barzal at 7th - Has the potential to be a skilled top line point producing centre. Burnaby Boy!

Parker Wootherspoon at 58th - Could amount to a #4/5 defensemen. Hometown boy!

Free Agency:

Cody Franson - 4 year 5 million AAV

- Gives the Canucks an offensive threat on the backend who is just entering his prime. Overpayment, but its free agency. Helps replace Bieksa's lost minutes. May take slight discount to come back to BC.

Justin Williams - 2 years 2.8 million AAV

- Veteran presence who can score gives us another option on the PP. Solidifies the second/third line. Slight overpayment, but it is again free agency.

Cap room assuming we release Matthias and Richardson will be just over a million. Could make room to sign a veteran centre if need be.

Roster:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Williams-Anisimov-Vrbata

Baertschi-Horvat-Kassian

Kenins-Gaunce-Hansen

Vey

*if virtanen shows he is capable of playing at this level then give him every chance to make the team and succeed, but personally I think he could use another year in the WHL.

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Franson

Sbisa-Ellis

Stanton-Clendening

Miller

Markstrom

PP

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Edler-Franson/ Ellis

- An improvment to this year pp. Second Unit is also dangerous now.

Williams-Anisimov-Burrows

Horvat-Franson/Ellis

Any thoughts?

St.Louis has no need for Bieksa.

Philly might pull the trigger, but they can get more if they just give up the first, Lack doesn't really solidify their goaltending.

Weber has no value, especially to the preds. They can get more for Ellis than a late 2nd.

Williams will easily get 3M, and he might even get 3.5-4.0M in FA.

Franson for 5M is not an overpayment in FA, but it is about what he'll go for.

St.Louis has no need for Bieksa.

Philly might pull the trigger, but they can get more if they just give up the first, Lack doesn't really solidify their goaltending.

Weber has no value, especially to the preds. They can get more for Ellis than a late 2nd.

Williams will easily get 3M, and he might even get 3.5-4.0M in FA.

Franson for 5M is not an overpayment in FA, but it is about what he'll go for.

St. Louis only has 4 d under contract, and considering they went out in six i would say they could use him.

Weber has depth value to the preds (basically what Ellis is) and I doubt they will get more considering he was picked in 09 and still hasn't developed into exactly the player they were hoping for.

Williams current contract is 3 million so I cant see him getting 4 as he isnt getting any younger.

As for Franson I stated that I realize it is FA and I would consider most contracts in free agency overpayment (ex. garrison)

Only 4 new players... not a ton different than in previous years.

I just don't see Benning making these many drastic changes, plus they are not as easy as you make them out to be..especially Bonino who was the center piece in the Kesler trade, Can't see JB giving up on him so quick...Also highly doubt Lack goes anywhere, He was pretty darn good for the most part until he got ridden to the ground..

I just don't see Benning making these many drastic changes, plus they are not as easy as you make them out to be..especially Bonino who was the center piece in the Kesler trade, Can't see JB giving up on him so quick...Also highly doubt Lack goes anywhere, He was pretty darn good for the most part until he got ridden to the ground..

I see where you are coming from, however Benning loves his draft picks and lack is the easiest to move out of the three goalies and holds value similar to Miller. I like lack and think he is a good goalie, however I think Miller can get the job done until it is time for Markstrom/ Demko. As for Bonino I think if an upgrade is available Benning will take it and Anisimov is an upgrade on Bonino IMO.

You can read but your comprehension needs some work

Please enlighten me then oh mighty Kesheniel, it would appear you have all the answers?

Also you say I have a lack of comprehension, which means lack of understanding so please do tell me what i do not understand? I'm curious, i always enjoy feedback.

Archived