The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Abandoned railroad question.

Squamfan

Two reasons. One, is a conspiracy theory:

General Motors streetcar conspiracy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

Pretty much this:

The other reason is the same with everything in the Lower Mainland. Developers wanted land, and people didn't want streetcars blocking their precious cars on major routes.

With all the crap going down with the Skytrain, it's pretty clear to me we should have gone with proven light rail. So what if you need to hire drivers. You're creating more jobs.

We have street cars here in Goteborg Sweden and they are a massive headache to motorists. They aren't even that efficient and they charge way too much in fares. This is why the car is never going to die, when it takes twice as long and costs twice as much, people aren't going to use it.

I miss that Keg. People give them crap for whatever but they have good steaks. now I gotta go to some hipster hellhole that cares more about its micro herb roof garden than a decent cut of meat get a steak around here.

Yes.

Hipsters have certainly become a problem.

We have street cars here in Goteborg Sweden and they are a massive headache to motorists. They aren't even that efficient and they charge way too much in fares. This is why the car is never going to die, when it takes twice as long and costs twice as much, people aren't going to use it.

I lived in Toronto for 5 years. They have Streetcars and it's integrated with their subway system. I found them enjoyable, efficient, and when driving they were in the centre lanes so cars would just go around them. They also worked like blockers in football making holes in traffic.

Two reasons. One, is a conspiracy theory:

General Motors streetcar conspiracy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

Pretty much this:

The other reason is the same with everything in the Lower Mainland. Developers wanted land, and people didn't want streetcars blocking their precious cars on major routes.

With all the crap going down with the Skytrain, it's pretty clear to me we should have gone with proven light rail. So what if you need to hire drivers. You're creating more jobs.

So the skytrain, which is already at capacity and sometimes over capacity, should have been a lower capacity, slower, light rail line instead?!? Talk about a plan to have more cars on the road!

Handy tip! The 99 Bline has more passengers than almost every light rail line on the continent. So that argument that got rid of the light rail lines; specifically that you can replace light rail with cheaper and faster buses? The numbers sure as hell point out that it is in fact true!

Archived