The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

good used SUV under $2000?

Sly_Paragon

Honestly for a first vehicle you shouldn't spend over 2k. I'd spend less than that even.

You have almost no driving experience and you are gonna be hard on a first vehicle. Everyone is. Some people miss maintenance, some people get into a few fender benders and some people drive them too hard. Maybe even a bit of all three. You should honestly look for a cheap car, like a Toyota Tercel, Mazda mx-3 or mx-6, Pontiac Grand Am, Nissan Sentra, Chevy Impala ect that's like 1000-1500. When you kill it in a year then you will be ready to spend a bit more on something else without making a dumb decision.

Plus you can learn to do some basic things yourself without worrying about wrecking an expensive vehicle. Learn how change the oil, an air filter, spark plugs ect.

Only problem is Lars vehicles that are under $2k usually are breakdowns waiting to happen. Decent beater cars now are in the $3-4k range. My buddy for years would never spend more than $2k, and out of 6 vehicles only one lasted more than 2 years.

He probably spent more money trying to keep them running than if he just put a little more money on his initial purchase. His last vehicle was a Ford F150, and he paid $3500 for it. And it's the first one he hasn't had to put much in terms of repairs, just basic maintenance.

Glad I could be of help and happy hunting. Be safe out there, lots of idiots these days. Especially minivans and anyone driving a Toyota Echo.

I resent that! I love my dinky beater.

Only problem is Lars vehicles that are under $2k usually are breakdowns waiting to happen. Decent beater cars now are in the $3-4k range. My buddy for years would never spend more than $2k, and out of 6 vehicles only one lasted more than 2 years.

He probably spent more money trying to keep them running than if he just put a little more money on his initial purchase. His last vehicle was a Ford F150, and he paid $3500 for it. And it's the first one he hasn't had to put much in terms of repairs, just basic maintenance.

Rebuilt cars (without engine damage) could be an option.

Obviously vehicles under 2 aren't going to last a long time. You can find decent vehicles for that though without a lot of trouble. When they do break down you move on. My first vehicle was a 300$ pick up truck. I drove it for almost a year. Spent about 350$ on some fixes over that time. When I actually had a major repair to do I had the wrecker pick it up and I bought a different car. Spending over 2k on a first vehicle is a waste of money imho.

Honestly for a first vehicle you shouldn't spend over 2k. I'd spend less than that even.

You have almost no driving experience and you are gonna be hard on a first vehicle. Everyone is. Some people miss maintenance, some people get into a few fender benders and some people drive them too hard. Maybe even a bit of all three. You should honestly look for a cheap car, like a Toyota Tercel, Mazda mx-3 or mx-6, Pontiac Grand Am, Nissan Sentra, Chevy Impala ect that's like 1000-1500. When you kill it in a year then you will be ready to spend a bit more on something else without making a dumb decision.

Plus you can learn to do some basic things yourself without worrying about wrecking an expensive vehicle. Learn how change the oil, an air filter, spark plugs ect.

Out of the cars you listed I like the Impala.

Found a 2004 LS 140km for $3,800

gl with that one lol

No doubt. I'm not sure who would spend close to 20k (with tax) for a 10 year old bmw with 150k on it. Talk about a money pit.

I just got rid of my babied 03 CTS with 80k and I was lucky to get $10,000 for it.

you can get an 04 x3 for below half that EASILY!

you can get a 10-11 for that price, EASILY!

@ kfbr fwiw, i'm not a fan of cadillacs

ELR sexy though.

For the most part people either love or hate cadillac. I'm still a big fan of them. They have awful depreciation though as an owner... but that turns into some good value for the buyer. Especially if you're looking at a V series.

Despite the age, I'd love to own an xlr-v someday.

I would check out the Explorer Sport for just under 4. KM's are good on it for the price and they arent expensive rides to maintain.

I can check out my dealership for you to see if I have any SUV's around that price. Any reason you need to go SUV?

Too bad the auto auction out by the Surrey skytrain is long gone. We used to buy beaters there for a few hundred, Fix whatever wasnt working ourselves and drive em till they died. Get em hauled away for free and repeat. Saw a guy buy a Datsun 210 for $60 there one time. If it came with a full tank of gas it was practically free.

Is the SUV just a personal choice thing? Do you need the hauling capacity or plan on driving logging roads on the regular? A car. A 4 cyl little car would be a much better choice in what you get for the money, maintenance and fuel cost especially if you plan on putting a lot of kilometers on it. A little Honda Civic, Ford Focus or Toyota corolla would be a good choice in general if you are willing to ditch the SUV route.

Archived