The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Orthodox Jewish Man Attacks Pride Parade

Warhippy

All barbaric? Man is barbaric...he doesn't need religion for that...

Maybe we need to look at what really is barbaric?

http://listverse.com/2013/03/02/10-barbaric-practices-that-still-exist/

What about Boko Haram?

Now tell me what "barbaric" acts are Christians doing in Africa?

While we are on Africa, don't forget the 1400 years of slavery the Arab/Islamic world has been doing to Africa....

Edit: If you mean the Christian anti-balaka gangs, then yes, that's barbaric as well...

Much of what Muslims are doing in Africa, Christians are doing either in their own countries or along side Muslims. There are a few circumstances where Christians are indeed persecuted by Muslims, but obviously that's not the point. I know as a Christian you're more likely to turn a blind eye to this sort of thing, if not outright deny it, but nonetheless, while not even close to on par with Muslims in terms of worldwide barbarity, Christianity in Africa is extremely barbaric. Barbaric acts = persecution of women (denial of rights, female genital mutilation, etc.), persecution of gays (murdering or jailing gays, not giving them equal rights), persecution of non-religious (killing them, not treating them equally).

Much of what Muslims are doing in Africa, Christians are doing either in their own countries or along side Muslims. There are a few circumstances where Christians are indeed persecuted by Muslims, but obviously that's not the point. I know as a Christian you're more likely to turn a blind eye to this sort of thing, if not outright deny it, but nonetheless, while not even close to on par with Muslims in terms of worldwide barbarity, Christianity in Africa is extremely barbaric. Barbaric acts = persecution of women (denial of rights, female genital mutilation, etc.), persecution of gays (murdering or jailing gays, not giving them equal rights), persecution of non-religious (killing them, not treating them equally).

You're right - that's not the point (as it's more than a few).

You are also wrong that I am turning a blind eye - I'm not. I am ashamed that there are people under the Christian flag committing atrocities.

Where are Christians killing homosexuals in Africa? Maybe there are a some...

I know Uganda tried to pass an anti homosexual bill that included the death penalty - but that didn't pass ...what I will say...is that so called Christians spread homophobia there...

I like what this Arch Bishop in England said:

African Christians will be killed if the Church of England accepts gay marriage, the archbishop of Canterbury has suggested. Speaking on an LBC phone in, Justin Welby said he had stood by a mass grave in Nigeria of 330 Christians who had been massacred by neighbours who had justified the atrocity by saying: "If we leave a Christian community here we will all be made to become homosexual and so we will kill all the Christians."

"I have stood by gravesides in Africa of a group of Christians who had been attacked because of something that had happened in America. We have to listen to that. We have to be aware of the fact," Welby said. If the Church of England celebrated gay marriages, he added, "the impact of that on Christians far from here, in South Sudan, Pakistan, Nigeria and other places would be absolutely catastrophic. Everything we say here goes round the world."

This reasoning has until now been kept private, although both Welby and his predecessor, Rowan Williams, anguished about it in private.

Welby also condemned homophobia in England. "To treat every human being with equal importance and dignity is a fundamental part of being a Christian," he said. Although he continued to uphold what he called the historic position of the church, of "sex only within marriage and marriage only between a man and a woman", he agreed with the presenter, James O'Brien, that it was "completely unacceptable" for the church to condemn homosexual people more than adulterous heterosexual people.

African churches do not share this opinion, and the Anglican churches in both Uganda and Nigeria have given enthusiastic backing to laws which criminalise even the expression of support for gay marriage. Despite these confusions, Welby denied that the church was woolly in its preaching in a testy exchange with the former Conservative cabinet minister Ann Widdecombe, who left the Church of England over its support of female priests in 1992, but phoned in on Friday to attack it. "I think the opponents of women's ordination are wrong theologically," he said.

Welby refused an opportunity to criticise Iain Duncan Smith on welfare reform, but he was unequivocal in support of the church's work with food banks and against inequality. He cited statistics showing that a third of those coming to food banks were entitled to benefits which had not actually been paid and another third were in employment, but for them "the month is a bit longer than the money".

"Whatever the causes, those are the people we are dealing with. They need to be treated with human dignity and they need to be loved. I do want to live in a country where the economy works in a way that means that food banks are no longer necessary," Welby said.

In remarks which showed the clear influence of Catholic doctrine, he said that food, house prices and energy costs were all moral issues that could not be left entirely to the market. "How much you charge for essentials is always a moral issue," he said.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/04/african-christians-church-of-england-gay-marriage-justin-welby

You're right - that's not the point (as it's more than a few).

You are also wrong that I am turning a blind eye - I'm not. I am ashamed that there are people under the Christian flag committing atrocities.

Where are Christians killing homosexuals in Africa? Maybe there are a some...

I know Uganda tried to pass an anti homosexual bill that included the death penalty - but that didn't pass ...what I will say...is that so called Christians spread homophobia there...

I like what this Arch Bishop in England said:

African Christians will be killed if the Church of England accepts gay marriage, the archbishop of Canterbury has suggested. Speaking on an LBC phone in, Justin Welby said he had stood by a mass grave in Nigeria of 330 Christians who had been massacred by neighbours who had justified the atrocity by saying: "If we leave a Christian community here we will all be made to become homosexual and so we will kill all the Christians."

"I have stood by gravesides in Africa of a group of Christians who had been attacked because of something that had happened in America. We have to listen to that. We have to be aware of the fact," Welby said. If the Church of England celebrated gay marriages, he added, "the impact of that on Christians far from here, in South Sudan, Pakistan, Nigeria and other places would be absolutely catastrophic. Everything we say here goes round the world."

This reasoning has until now been kept private, although both Welby and his predecessor, Rowan Williams, anguished about it in private.

Welby also condemned homophobia in England. "To treat every human being with equal importance and dignity is a fundamental part of being a Christian," he said. Although he continued to uphold what he called the historic position of the church, of "sex only within marriage and marriage only between a man and a woman", he agreed with the presenter, James O'Brien, that it was "completely unacceptable" for the church to condemn homosexual people more than adulterous heterosexual people.

African churches do not share this opinion, and the Anglican churches in both Uganda and Nigeria have given enthusiastic backing to laws which criminalise even the expression of support for gay marriage. Despite these confusions, Welby denied that the church was woolly in its preaching in a testy exchange with the former Conservative cabinet minister Ann Widdecombe, who left the Church of England over its support of female priests in 1992, but phoned in on Friday to attack it. "I think the opponents of women's ordination are wrong theologically," he said.

Welby refused an opportunity to criticise Iain Duncan Smith on welfare reform, but he was unequivocal in support of the church's work with food banks and against inequality. He cited statistics showing that a third of those coming to food banks were entitled to benefits which had not actually been paid and another third were in employment, but for them "the month is a bit longer than the money".

"Whatever the causes, those are the people we are dealing with. They need to be treated with human dignity and they need to be loved. I do want to live in a country where the economy works in a way that means that food banks are no longer necessary," Welby said.

In remarks which showed the clear influence of Catholic doctrine, he said that food, house prices and energy costs were all moral issues that could not be left entirely to the market. "How much you charge for essentials is always a moral issue," he said.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/04/african-christians-church-of-england-gay-marriage-justin-welby

Religion_distribution_Africa_crop.png

We can start off with the highly Christian country Uganda, and bold from there:

KAMPALA, UGANDA - Persecution of gays is intensifying across Africa, fueled by fundamentalist preachers, intolerant governments and homophobic politicians. Gay people have been denied access to health care, detained, tortured and even killed, human rights activists and witnesses say.

The growing tide of homophobia comes at a time when gays in Africa are expressing themselves more openly, prompting greater media attention and debates about homosexuality. The rapid growth of Islam and evangelical forms of Christianity, both espousing conservative views on family values and marriage, have persuaded many Africans that homosexuality should not be tolerated in their societies.

"It has never been harder for gays and lesbians on the continent," said Monica Mbaru, Africa coordinator for the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, based in Cape Town. "Homophobia is on the rise."

Fearing for their lives, many activists are in hiding or have fled their countries.

In Uganda, a bill introduced in parliament last year would impose the death penalty for repeated same-sex relations and life imprisonment for other homosexual acts. Local newspapers are outing gays, potentially inciting the public to attack them, activists say.

A day after a newspaper article said that gays should be hanged, Sheila Hope Mugisha became a target. As the prominent gay rights activist neared her home, she said, boys from the neighborhood threw stones at the gate and chanted, "You are a homo." Mugisha ran inside and locked the door. She didn't leave for several days.

"Here, homosexuality is like you have killed someone," she said.

American gay activists have sent money to help the community here. Western governments - including aid donors - have vocally criticized the bill and denounced the treatment of gays.

That has angered conservative pastors here, many of whom are influenced by American anti-gay Christian groups and politicians who say that African values are under attack by Western attitudes. They say their goal is to change the sexual behavior of gays, not to physically harm them.

"In Uganda, we look at homosexuality as an abomination. It is not normal," said Nsaba Butoro, Uganda's minister on ethics and integrity and a vocal supporter of the bill. "You are talking about a clash of cultures. The question is: Which culture is superior, the African one or the Western one?"

Laws against 'unnatural acts'

More than two-thirds of African countries have laws criminalizing homosexuality. In May, a judge in Malawi imposed a maximum prison sentence of 14 years with hard labor on a gay couple convicted of "unnatural acts" for holding an engagement ceremony. Malawi's president pardoned the couple after international condemnation, particularly from Britain, Malawi's largest donor.

Gays have also been attacked this year in Zimbabwe, and in Senegal their graves have been desecrated. Gays in Cameroon have been attacked by police and targeted in the media. In Gambia, President Yahya Jammeh has vowed to expel gays from the country and urged citizens not to rent homes to them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/11/AR2010121101527.html

UpjZO.png

^ Christian countries in Africa where gays are persecuted: Swaziland, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Malawi, Mozambique, Kenya, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Cameroon, Nigeria (half population Christian, half Muslim), Ghana, Togo (half/half), and a large swath of Sub-Saharan countries where Christians are 10-40% of the pop.

2000px-2013_Female_Genital_Mutilation_Cu

^ Christian countries where FGM is practiced: Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Central African Republic, South Sudan, Liberia, Ghana, Uganda, Nigeria (half the population are Christian, half Muslim), Togo (again, half and half), Chad (about half), Ivory Coast (again, half) Benin, and a swath of countries where Christians make up 10-40% of the population, pretty much all Sub-Saharan.

And again, with women's rights in general, the same trend applies:

Property%20Rights%20in%20Law%20and%20Pra

So like I said, while Christians aren't up to the levels of barbarity that Muslims are on a global scale, Christian barbarity it's still quite prevalent in Africa.

Archived