The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question sbout ICBC class 5 road test

RottenCanuck22

What's the appeal of having those windows tinted, anyways? It always draws my attention towards you and makes me think you're shifty.

For some people it's privacy, for some people it's heat.

Some people can actually go to the dermatologist and have a note saying they can't be exposed to UV and legally tint their windows.

My fronts are tinted. I'm not a drug dealer, I don't drive like a moron, and the cops leave me alone. To each their own.

True. Lighter tints have virtually no negative side effects in my opinion, I think they offer nothing but benefits and I can't understand why its illegal.

5% looks amazing on a black car though...

Have you ever driven a car with tint on the front? It makes seeing outside considerably more difficult at night with anything 30 or lower. So I would say their reasoning is for vision.

I have had a first responder tell me the reason they don't allow front tint is because they can't smash windows to rescue trapped occupants in the case of an emergency. I am sure the real reason has more to do with them not wanting to allow privacy but who knows.

All front tint is illegal in BC to clarify that. In my experience they never asked me to operate the windows. Just the signals, lights, wipers ect. If it's not raining and you park it with the windows down I don't see why they could ask you to roll them up. My instructor asked if I could turn on AC but that was an honest request, not demand. I'd say your fine, but I'd be paranoid for sure.

I was under the understanding that if a vehicle came factory tinted it was legal?

As for the OP, borrow someones car if you can.

I was under the understanding that if a vehicle came factory tinted it was legal?

As for the OP, borrow someones car if you can.

The only vehicles that come factory with front tint are from states where front tint is legal. It's not a film on the glass like conventional tint, it's actual tinted glass. If a vehicle is then brought into BC and inspected it would need to be passed by someone willing to overlook the glass. I have heard situations where cops have pulled people over and the person explained it was factory glass and they used their descretion to allow it but that's the law in this province.

Most states in the U.S. Allow at least 30 on the front, some as low as 20. It should be the same here. I don't make the rules though.

From what I remember any kind of illegal modifications on your car make it inadmissible for the test.

Just keep them completely rolled down, and put them on lock so instructor can't regulate their side.

Say the window motors are both broken and can't be rolled up.

It should be hot for the rest of the week so I don't see it being a problem.

Worse case, just take the front tint off yourself, its quite easy.

I went to get the Auto Expressions version of tint from a US Walmart, since it had fab reviews (and the easy cling actually does very well for our home windows, brought the temp down on average 2-7C), just for fun I bought a 2.5% VLT they had. I was like holy crap. Why bother with tint at that point, just block the window entirely. I couldn't believe they even sell that.. isn't limo tint like 20% VLT?

I always thought limo tint was 5%.

I'm pretty sure you can actually get -% tint as well, which is crazy. 5% really isn't bad during the day, but anything below 5% would be a nightmare at night.

Have you ever driven a car with tint on the front? It makes seeing outside considerably more difficult at night with anything 30 or lower. So I would say their reasoning is for vision.

I have had a first responder tell me the reason they don't allow front tint is because they can't smash windows to rescue trapped occupants in the case of an emergency. I am sure the real reason has more to do with them not wanting to allow privacy but who knows.

See my above posts.

I get why tint below 20% is illegal. I never felt I was in danger personally, and if I was ever in a position that felt unsafe I'd just roll my window down. But most people are horrible drivers so adding tint for a lot of people is basically a death sentence.

But anything 30 and up isn't unsafe imo. It provides nothing but benefits during the day, and isn't really dark enough to make a difference at night. I think it has more to do with law enforcement being able to clearly see the occupants of any given car at any given time.

I have 20% on my car, and 30% on my truck with 5% on the rear of both. The car is very noticeable day or night. The truck, most people wouldn't notice it even has tint during the day, but it keeps people from being able to see at night. Backing up at night is significantly harder then when they were not tinted. Anything less than 30% might as well not even be tinted so you wouldn't get caught anyways. Like I said though it might have to do with the fact you can't shatter glass with film on it.

I always thought limo tint was 5%.

I'm pretty sure you can actually get -% tint as well, which is crazy. 5% really isn't bad during the day, but anything below 5% would be a nightmare at night.

The percentage of the tint is based off of how much light can travel through it. So I am not sure negative would be possible. Limo tint is generally considered 5% but true limo tint is 2.5%

From what I remember any kind of illegal modifications on your car make it inadmissible for the test.

Just keep them completely rolled down, and put them on lock so instructor can't regulate their side.

Say the window motors are both broken and can't be rolled up.

It should be hot for the rest of the week so I don't see it being a problem.

Worse case, just take the front tint off yourself, its quite easy.

I don't know if you've ever peeled window tint before but I don't know if easy is the word. It's a brainless job but hours of frustration is more of an accurate description.

• 1 year later...
20 hours ago, CaNuCkSLoUiE23 said:

Bump

Class 5 road test next Wednesday. What to expect? Similar to the Class 7 test?

Read the website. Class 5 they expect you to know a lot more about different driving skills vs Class 7 they generally want to see that your driving safely and smoothly. I took my class 5 like 7 years ago so I don't remember a lot, but, it's easy if you remember the basics.

Read the website....

Study for your test

Whether you're taking the Class 7 road test to get your N or the Class 5 road test to get your full licence, these study and practice guides will help you pass:

Don't just rely on studying though, be sure to get lots of on-road driving practice with an experienced driver or a licensed driver training school.

Driving skills you'll need to know

During your road test, you'll need to demonstrate a variety of driving skills. These are the most common skills to practice:

• Driving through intersections, turning left and right
  • Pulling out into traffic
  • Pulling over and stopping at the side of the road
  • Changing lanes
  • Parking on a hill
  • Starting on a hill
  • Backing up
  • Angle parking
  • Parallel parking
  • Stall parking (driving forward and backing up into a stall)
  • Two and three point turns
  • Merging on and off a highway
  • General driving (e.g., driving straight, driving on hills and curves)
  • Knowing what to do around emergency vehicles

Not every skill will be part of your test, but practicing them all will give you the best chance of being prepared.

Hazard awareness

While you're driving, it's important to scan your environment and be aware of potential hazards on the road. You may be asked to point some out during your test.

Examples of potential hazards:

• Dangerous drivers
  • Emergency vehicles
  • Pedestrians, cyclists and motorcycles
  • Blind spots and hidden driveways
  • Animals
  • Icy or snowy roads
  • Uneven roads

Archived