The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquiring Kyle Okposo

I think Vrbata as the centerpiece is a more likely possibility in a deal like that - but I highly doubt that Okposo is going anywhere - I think they'll work much harder to dump Grabner.

If they're unable to move Grabner - maybe they wind up moving Bailey or Okposo...but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Awful, just awful.

My three favourite teams are the Isles, Canucks, and the Jets. If you think that 28 other teams can't come up with a more enticing offer than Gaunce and Higgins, you're out of your mind. Plus, that doesn't even come close to Okposo's value.

For example, the Jets could afford to throw Nic Petan, Andrew Copp, and Jan Kostalek for Okposo, and they wouldn't even lose sleep about giving up that much (overpayment), because they have so much talented youth in the pipeline.

Gaunce and Higgins is a joke.

What do you really think?

The Isles don't plan on taking a step back this year. They already have a prospect pool that is strong enough that they don't quite need to restock. I am betting on Okposo waking away as a free agent this year. The Isles have enough potential replacements in their system.

Would a trade like this make sense for both teams?

To NYI:

Vrbata

Higgins

To VAN:

Okposo

Grabner

We take on Grabner's contract which they desperately want to give away and as a result we get Okposo at a discounted price than they would get for him on his own. In return, they get Vrbata to replace Okposo's production, and Higgins who is a serviceable bottom 6 player which is exactly what they're looking for. The cap works out as well.

This is actually a decent proposal and I'd be pretty happy with it. I'm not sure the Isles would bite, but it's a decently even deal really.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking—the Isles might be able to squeeze a bit more out of an Okposo trade. As a team on the re-tool, I wouldn't want to see too much more than this, unless GMJB could speak with his agent first about an extension, even if it were a short one.

The reason he is on the block is that he wants too much money on a long term deal. He is looking for 6 mill plus, a little high considering his injury history and the fact he is not overly physical. I would rather put that money towards Looch, who is built tough and gives us a nasty attitude for playoff time.

Yep. With Vrbata, Prust, Hamhuis, Weber, Bartkowski and in this trade, Higgins and Okposo's contracts all off the books next season and the cap going up (a likely) 5-6M, GMJB could probably land both if the Okposo experiment worked out.

It all depends too—there is a chance players like Seabrook and Lucic could be signed before next off-seaso, then what? It's difficult to rely on future FAs before you can talk to them, even if all signs point to a Canucks & Lucic contract.

that's what you want to give but what would the islanders want...what if they ask for horvat, tanev and a 1st...are you making that trade..?

No.

Woah lol i dont think anyone would...

Okposo can bring a better return from a different team, if we could guarantee resigning him i wouldn't mind doing a deal along these lines

To van

Okposo

4th

To isles

Shinkaruk

Higgins

3rd

We give them a prospect with a higher ceiling, and maintain a pick for this deep draft.

Agreed—if there was a deal in place for a contract extension, upping the deal a bit would make sense from the Canucks' side. Shink's passion and offensive ability would sure be hard to give up though.

Just reading the OP wet my appetite.

6 foot plus, 217 lbs, strong on the cycle, right handed shot, goal scorer...

Frack we have been waiting for that for 15 years! So we kinda have it, finally, with Vrbta. Minus the size and the boards presence. I reckon we just got to pay the market price and grab him. Yes that's prob $5 or $6 mill. But maybe trending to the lower side of that cuz he's not a 60 or 70 point guy.

My opinion is UFA in summer though. Why give up good assets?

Its easier to fit him in the line up than Lucic who is a left wing.

Obviously I would prefer the Canucks could grab him without giving up assets. But there's no guarantee he makes it to free agency, that's why pending FAs get moved all the time.

Plus, they get him for an extra season and get to see him in Canucks' jersey to see if he's worth an extension (or trade him before an extension kicks in).

I think Vrbata as the centerpiece is a more likely possibility in a deal like that - but I highly doubt that Okposo is going anywhere - I think they'll work much harder to dump Grabner.

If they're unable to move Grabner - maybe they wind up moving Bailey or Okposo...but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Fair enough. I guess it depends on things that are happening that we don't know about. I'm kind of under the assumption Okposo wants to test the market (and that's why they aren't working on a contract), but I could be very wrong. The Isles aren't really "stuck" with Grabner's contract considering it ends before Okposo's extension would kick-in.

Would a trade like this make sense for both teams?

To NYI:

Vrbata

Higgins

To VAN:

Okposo

Grabner

We take on Grabner's contract which they desperately want to give away and as a result we get Okposo at a discounted price than they would get for him on his own. In return, they get Vrbata to replace Okposo's production, and Higgins who is a serviceable bottom 6 player which is exactly what they're looking for. The cap works out as well.

Hmm, interesting. It would help the Canucks grab a good player without giving up futures. A second line of Baertschi - Horvat - Grabner could actually be decent if Grabner doesn't play like his 2013-2015 self, other than that he's consistently paced for 20-25 goals.

Saying all this, the Isles aren't really "stuck" with Grabner's contract considering it ends before Okposo's extension would kick-in.

Wait and just make Okposo an offer in the offseason. He sure would be a good fit for our top 6 though.

Sedin - Sedin - Okposo

Lucic - Horvat - Virtanen

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Gaunce/Kenins - Cassels - Dorsett/Grenier

Would be one hell of a forward group to play against.

Archived