The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What the critics don't see

scratchmb

I actually read it, and thought it was a well-reasoned opinion. But then I am old school, from an era when reading and comprehension were valued, and thoughts were longer than 128 characters ,,, heck I remember the excitement when Tanti was aquired in trade, the angst when he was on a 7 game scoring drought, then the chemistry with Sundstrom.

But back to the OP - I agree with scratchmb (and a good summary by Canadian)

I'm pretty sure you mean you're from an era where working on the farm was more important than going to school and learning how to write.

If you think that's a well reasoned opinion you're as daft as he is

In all seriousness your opinion was fine , but was a little hard to follow! Lots of ideas in your original post, like having a conversation with random ideas on the same subject. Works find in person, face to face, when you can observe the persons pause in ideas not some much on screen in a mini document.

Eh, what can I say. A little hard to follow, then I see it as good exercize for the brain. There is a certain kind of magic in random perfomance. For example consider the late great Robin Williams. The man was a master of random. He had little or no regard for the script, but it didn't matter because everyone was rolling on the floor in the studio. They even had to make Mork & Mindy a closed set, because he would step off and start intergrating with the live audience. There were tears of laughter everywhere. It was a miracle to get the rest of the cast to act with a straight face to get through a scene without a total crack up. Some directors, and some actors refused to work with Wiliams which only created a challenge for other directors and actors to survive the Robin Williams random antics. He was costing television too much money because of delays, so his only venues became movies and standup, his television was mostly as a guest on talk shows where he took everyone on his random ride, yet beneath all of the comedy, there were poignant messages, and extreme understanding of what was going on in the world and Williams was not afraid of any of it. His suicide really was no shock to me. In my profession, I fully recognize the symptoms of full blown Bipolar Disorder, his mood swings were so abstract. His bouts of depression he used as a tool so he could perform serious roles, but Williams is promanic, that means he spends more time in the the higher euphoric state of the disorder than he does in a depressive state. Which is rare, because most are either prodepressive or rapid cycle which means they are up and down on a frequent rollercoaster. The problem is some people are aware of their condition but refuse medication as a treatment. The reason for this is Bipolar is not an illness, it is not even a disorder. It is an anomoly where the brain functions on a different level due to different synaptic pathways, which offsets both the electrical and chemical balance of brain activity. So, with those who are bipolar, they have a constant pattern of thousands of thoughts traveling through their conscious mind where people who do not have this anomoly such thoughts only run through the sub conscious. No, it is not voices, they are genuine thoughts and ideas. Yes, some are irrational, some are not in the realm of common logic, and some are beyond reason, but they are still valid. In mania mode, the thoughts are bright and energenic, in depressive mode, the thoughts are dark and foreboding. This is why it is important for a proper plan of treatment, which includes medications, therapy and a network of people who are willing to understand what you are dealing with and step in and provide comfort when you are in dire straits. If you keep it locked up, and don't tell anyone, or leave it too late, then suicide is very likely. Vancouver fans need to look no further than Rick Rypien. He asked for help but his system wasn't in place quick enough and he became critical and failed to reach out. So many felt guilty and responsible for letting Rypien down, Bieska was hit the hardest, but no one is at fault, it is the nature of the beast.

So, rather than dwell on the down side, which I just erroneously did, I like to throw my random misgivings around to keep everyone on their toes. Of course this does not include the members of the peanut gallery. Oh they know who they are. I don't have to point fingers, I already stabbed them.

Cheers

Eh, what can I say. A little hard to follow, then I see it as good exercize for the brain. There is a certain kind of magic in random perfomance. For example consider the late great Robin Williams. The man was a master of random. He had little or no regard for the script, but it didn't matter because everyone was rolling on the floor in the studio. They even had to make Mork & Mindy a closed set, because he would step off and start intergrating with the live audience. There were tears of laughter everywhere. It was a miracle to get the rest of the cast to act with a straight face to get through a scene without a total crack up. Some directors, and some actors refused to work with Wiliams which only created a challenge for other directors and actors to survive the Robin Williams random antics. He was costing television too much money because of delays, so his only venues became movies and standup, his television was mostly as a guest on talk shows where he took everyone on his random ride, yet beneath all of the comedy, there were poignant messages, and extreme understanding of what was going on in the world and Williams was not afraid of any of it. His suicide really was no shock to me. In my profession, I fully recognize the symptoms of full blown Bipolar Disorder, his mood swings were so abstract. His bouts of depression he used as a tool so he could perform serious roles, but Williams is promanic, that means he spends more time in the the higher euphoric state of the disorder than he does in a depressive state. Which is rare, because most are either prodepressive or rapid cycle which means they are up and down on a frequent rollercoaster. The problem is some people are aware of their condition but refuse medication as a treatment. The reason for this is Bipolar is not an illness, it is not even a disorder. It is an anomoly where the brain functions on a different level due to different synaptic pathways, which offsets both the electrical and chemical balance of brain activity. So, with those who are bipolar, they have a constant pattern of thousands of thoughts traveling through their conscious mind where people who do not have this anomoly such thoughts only run through the sub conscious. No, it is not voices, they are genuine thoughts and ideas. Yes, some are irrational, some are not in the realm of common logic, and some are beyond reason, but they are still valid. In mania mode, the thoughts are bright and energenic, in depressive mode, the thoughts are dark and foreboding. This is why it is important for a proper plan of treatment, which includes medications, therapy and a network of people who are willing to understand what you are dealing with and step in and provide comfort when you are in dire straits. If you keep it locked up, and don't tell anyone, or leave it too late, then suicide is very likely. Vancouver fans need to look no further than Rick Rypien. He asked for help but his system wasn't in place quick enough and he became critical and failed to reach out. So many felt guilty and responsible for letting Rypien down, Bieska was hit the hardest, but no one is at fault, it is the nature of the beast.

So, rather than dwell on the down side, which I just erroneously did, I like to throw my random misgivings around to keep everyone on their toes. Of course this does not include the members of the peanut gallery. Oh they know who they are. I don't have to point fingers, I already stabbed them.

Cheers

Hey, what's wrong with peanuts? I'm insalted. ;)

Cheers

Mork-and-Mindy_612x380_0.jpg?itok=uo8X-f

So, explain your clinical degree and profession as well as your thesis on your theory of delusions of grandeur, and be aware that you are being graded and no, Wikipedia is not an acceptable scapegoat. Then I will explain that my importance is not relevant, neither is my state of sanity or lack thereof. In all fairness, I am retired from my learned profession, but it was a profession held in high esteem and on the cutting edge of human sciences. It does not make me any better than anyone else, only better equipped with the tools of higher education, and the intesity of my profession which was not one that was projected in the spotlight as a career of wealth but 14 hour days of work and research and little glory. You can step on my toes all you desire, but it will have zero effect. I have no delusions, I have life experience, and they have provided the best tools. No, I am not better than you, or anyone, I just made the effort to reach the pinnacle of my goals, and if that does not give me the privilege to pound upon my chest, then pray tell. What must one do to fulfill so that one may deserve our democratic right to the freedom of speech?

Delusions indeed. I speak not from delusion but from my rights. Dare not to jest them away. You probably support political correctness and have converted to atheism because it's the cool thing to do. Nothing surpizes me.

And now you waste these immense talents bantering with the ever so important plebs of the interweb, to prove your gargantuan capacity for understanding and critical thought, in an effort to with the evolution of the human mind, that one day the masses may share more than just a genetic link to the greatness that is your word. That in some distant future all of the people of the CDC may share in your insight and observational astuteness, that we may some day see the truth as it is to you and not as it is to us unevolved remnants of a soon to be distant past. Ah for now we can only hope, and dream of a reality of YOU, that we may one day see and walk with the light of the one true teacher.....scratchmb!

I'm pretty sure you mean you're from an era where working on the farm was more important than going to school and learning how to write.

Oh my, Davathor are you implying that you are a scholar? Well spit it out, what is your earned degree? After five years of post graduate scholastic prep and university challenges of diversity, I don't recall any courses offered in advanced reasoning of opinions. Well there is Philosophy of course, but they don't actually have opinions, they just think about them, and come up with stuff people get to quote later. I need some down time so I took Philosophy from 1 to 3 in the afternoon, just to sit around and think, and therefore be "I am". Crazy French philosopher that Rene Descartes, coming up with that nonsense so he could get his Latin writ. "Cogito ergo sum" So, the question is. If Rene was not thinking, what the hell was he? Stange that the dead language has no answer to that one. It doesn't matter if it is well reasoned or not. Who are you to say or judge otherwise. As far as being daft, I assume there is an "air" of confusion on your part and actually the thought on your mind was draft, which was the one that was whistling in one ear and out the other. You sot, don't pick on other comments, if you want to make slants, direct them where they should go, directly at me. I have no compuncture in dealing with the likes of you.

Cheers

Robin Williams was the master of random because he smoked crack every day! From what you've been spouting, I wouldn't put it past as a fuel to your raving rants. In the end his crack use led to his bi polar reality. A reality, that he eventually could not bear and took his own life... Well here's to hoping you follow your masters footsteps!

Cheers!

Hey, what's wrong with peanuts? I'm insalted. ;)

Ah a pun, very good. Well you know, with everyone abusing antibiotics the natural human immune systems are breaking down causing an almost epidemic of allergies, and for some strange reasons, peanuts are circling the top of the list. Which is funny in this world of marketing. I once bought a jar of peanut butter and on it there was a bright orange sticker saying, "Allergy Warning: This product may contain peanuts." WTF? It bloody well better contain peanuts since it is listed as the main ingredient. I'm not going to by some faux fake version of peanut butter. Hell I don't even know if one exists. Just the sight of this sticker was far too much of a laugh. Of course, I failed to take the opportunity to photograph the damn jar. Then next time I went to purchase that brand, it was sans sticker. It was one of those, wonders of the moment things. Often we only think them through later.

Robin Williams was the master of random because he smoked crack every day! From what you've been spouting, I wouldn't put it past as a fuel to your raving rants. In the end his crack use led to his bi polar reality. A reality, that he eventually could not bear and took his own life... Well here's to hoping you follow your masters footsteps!

Cheers!

It has nothing to do with the fact that he self medicated. Bipolar is not a condition than anyone develops, it is an anomoly that people are born with, and it is often hereditary. It can lie dormant, for a few or even several generations and then run like wildfire from parent to child is for a few generations and then go into hiding. It has been called many other names, before, the previous description was Manic Depressive Disorder, before that it was simply called Mood Disorder. before that they had less of a clear definition and it was grouped wrongly with dementia, and other measures of madness. Many of known markers of history were symptomatic of being Bipolar, the most famous because he was aware of his condition and openly admited it was Sir Winston Churchill. The man who refused to let Nazi Germany make a landed attack on British soil. Yes, the Germans bombed the crap out of London, and bombed several of the coastal air and marine bases, but still could not mount a full attack across the channel. Churchill directed every defense and answer of air attack the Germans made.

What kind of measure of a person are you to diagnose how the human brain works. I don't give two clips about your lame insult, but your admission of your ignorance and stupidity is amazing entertaiment. A great round of applause for the court fool. Senior PatchedUpBalls from being shot from the Cannon far too many times. Hey, what can I say, you don't give me much to work with for a wind up. I think I made myself laugh. (quote: Regards to Craig Ferguson),

And now you waste these immense talents bantering with the ever so important plebs of the interweb, to prove your gargantuan capacity for understanding and critical thought, in an effort to with the evolution of the human mind, that one day the masses may share more than just a genetic link to the greatness that is your word. That in some distant future all of the people of the CDC may share in your insight and observational astuteness, that we may some day see the truth as it is to you and not as it is to us unevolved remnants of a soon to be distant past. Ah for now we can only hope, and dream of a reality of YOU, that we may one day see and walk with the light of the one true teacher.....scratchmb!

Aw jeez. you don't get anything do you? Take a look around. You are just a victim at the discretion of my pleasure. What is it you are trying to avoid? I am not selling religion here, although it worked out peachy keen for science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard who blatantly stated, the easiest way to get rich is to start a religion, and to prove that point he wrote the book Dianetics as his platform for The Church of Scientology. Oh boy did he sell that baby, look who he sucked in, ex wife and daughter of Elvis Presley, Tom Cruise who jumped for joy on Oprah Winfrey's couch on live television and the dour John Travolta just to name a few and started raking in the cash. He died with a grin on his face ol' Mr. Hubbard because he pulled one of the biggest cons and got away with it. It still exists and still empties the pockets of the gullible.

I'm not selling anything, I am just having some fun and exposing those who are gullible, and fall for the whole facade, but with my lampoon, I still mix in my flavour for the love of hockey and my devotion to my local team. Pay attention, there are plenty of people who get it, and are having a good laugh at your expense. Certainly not at mine. I only put the burr under the saddle, I am just the poison oak you mindlessly walked through while your head was in the clouds trying to identify the call of the common sparrow. I am the virus that spreads like the common cold and creates havoc on your well being.

I only want to be your worst nightmare. Is that really too much to ask? C'mon give a guy a break.

Ah a pun, very good. Well you know, with everyone abusing antibiotics the natural human immune systems are breaking down causing an almost epidemic of allergies, and for some strange reasons, peanuts are circling the top of the list. Which is funny in this world of marketing. I once bought a jar of peanut butter and on it there was a bright orange sticker saying, "Allergy Warning: This product may contain peanuts." WTF? It bloody well better contain peanuts since it is listed as the main ingredient. I'm not going to by some faux fake version of peanut butter. Hell I don't even know if one exists. Just the sight of this sticker was far too much of a laugh. Of course, I failed to take the opportunity to photograph the damn jar. Then next time I went to purchase that brand, it was sans sticker. It was one of those, wonders of the moment things. Often we only think them through later.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of peanuts - too small. I prefer bigger nuts - Robin Williams was the perfect nut to me. It didn't matter how he was packaged, or if there was a warning or not, he was 100% nuts.

The definition of Irony is: Someone who makes attempts to seem intelligent on a Canucks Forum! Hahah what a master!

You keep throwing so much crap out it's hard to track it all down but that's fine I have all the patience. Let me ask you. Have you ever taken LSD in your life? If so, then you must validate your experience in order to place anything I say into perspective of a mind altering hallucinogenic compound. The only thing you can master is bating.

You might want to display a bit more respect to the intellectual capacity of the farming community. A great many of them are highly intelligent and openly articulate people. Just look at Darryl Sutter; he grew up on a farm.

There. I rest my case. You know you should just stop. I was raised on a farm.

Aw jeez. you don't get anything do you? Take a look around. You are just a victim at the discretion of my pleasure. What is it you are trying to avoid? I am not selling religion here, although it worked out peachy keen for science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard who blatantly stated, the easiest way to get rich is to start a religion, and to prove that point he wrote the book Dianetics as his platform for The Church of Scientology. Oh boy did he sell that baby, look who he sucked in, ex wife and daughter of Elvis Presley, Tom Cruise who jumped for joy on Oprah Winfrey's couch on live television and the dour John Travolta just to name a few and started raking in the cash. He died with a grin on his face ol' Mr. Hubbard because he pulled one of the biggest cons and got away with it. It still exists and still empties the pockets of the gullible.

I'm not selling anything, I am just having some fun and exposing those who are gullible, and fall for the whole facade, but with my lampoon, I still mix in my flavour for the love of hockey and my devotion to my local team. Pay attention, there are plenty of people who get it, and are having a good laugh at your expense. Certainly not at mine. I only put the burr under the saddle, I am just the poison oak you mindlessly walked through while your head was in the clouds trying to identify the call of the common sparrow. I am the virus that spreads like the common cold and creates havoc on your well being.

I only want to be your worst nightmare. Is that really too much to ask? C'mon give a guy a break.

LOL!! Man can you please tell us about more! I'm serious, you and your tinfoil hat act are awesome! I want to know everything you got to rant about! Here is some topics, Hitler, Jews, international banking syndicates,911, the illuminati, Judgement Day.... and anything else you can think of.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of peanuts - too small. I prefer bigger nuts - Robin Williams was the perfect nut to me. It didn't matter how he was packaged, or if there was a warning or not, he was 100% nuts.

He was aware that he was quirky, and he embraced it, his choice to self medicate was not one of great wisdom, but even those who know they are different and it doesn't matter if it is outrageous or quirky, still battle with the stigma and dogmatism towards mental health issues. As it stands, people are still highly rude and biased against anyone out of the realm of what they consider the norm. That has been evidenly displayed here since I started this thread. I have been called, a crackhead, other stoner referenences, daft, and a host of other descriptive nouns. I am none of those things. However I will not deny that I am arrogant, loud mouthed, a pain in the ass, and a disturber of the feces. Yet I act in purpose, and intent. The great thing about anonymity is the youngster who pretend to be adults, and the adults who behave no better than an adolescent. It is not a gift to tell the difference, it is a knowledge from training and then putting that training into a practical career. The truly clever of the intelligent will be able to determine what my vocation is or I should say was as I am retired in the professional manner, but it still does not erase what I am. I still do speaking engagements, but they don't pay anything of excitement. Expenses, travel, accommodation, and a small gratuitous stipend which I can make disappear with a great steak and an excellent bottle of vintage grape.

No, I am not an wino either, for the joker who seems to flaunt everything I say, such an amateur.

Cheers

He was aware that he was quirky, and he embraced it, his choice to self medicate was not one of great wisdom, but even those who know they are different and it doesn't matter if it is outrageous or quirky, still battle with the stigma and dogmatism towards mental health issues. As it stands, people are still highly rude and biased against anyone out of the realm of what they consider the norm. That has been evidenly displayed here since I started this thread. I have been called, a crackhead, other stoner referenences, daft, and a host of other descriptive nouns. I am none of those things. However I will not deny that I am arrogant, loud mouthed, a pain in the ass, and a disturber of the feces. Yet I act in purpose, and intent. The great thing about anonymity is the youngster who pretend to be adults, and the adults who behave no better than an adolescent. It is not a gift to tell the difference, it is a knowledge from training and then putting that training into a practical career. The truly clever of the intelligent will be able to determine what my vocation is or I should say was as I am retired in the professional manner, but it still does not erase what I am. I still do speaking engagements, but they don't pay anything of excitement. Expenses, travel, accommodation, and a small gratuitous stipend which I can make disappear with a great steak and an excellent bottle of vintage grape.

No, I am not an wino either, for the joker who seems to flaunt everything I say, such an amateur.

Cheers

Is it bias that causes people to shun those who are different, or the natural instinct for survival of species? How many of us - in the deepest parts of our atavism - felt relief at "the rock smashing Piggy's skull" (Golding) because that is what our instinct craved?

LOL!! Man can you please tell us about more! I'm serious, you and your tinfoil hat act are awesome! I want to know everything you got to rant about! Here is some topics, Hitler, Jews, international banking syndicates,911, the illuminati, Judgement Day.... and anything else you can think of.

Hey, those are your words, not mine. Thus they are issues that are relevant to your inhibitions and what is hiding in your closet. I have not mentioned any notion of tinfoil hats, which are the fancies of government paranoia or the ridiculous UFO legends. I can talk about any of those topics, but I shan't for the simple observation that you are clueless and have the audacity to twist things in the most imbecilic manner that you might as well be smacking your head with a wooden mallet since nothing sinks in.

Is self castination some kind of a sadistic narcissitic high for you? Stop being a martyr for stupidity, you have already established that quite sufficiently, but I digress. Who am I to stop you from beating a dead horse? Carry on if you must. Maybe you will attract some followers and lend truth to the little gem of a quote that was often paraphrased as a metaphor in The Christian Bible, even by Jesus the Christ Himself and later that of the Thomas, you know the one. The blind leading the blind.

Is it bias that causes people to shun those who are different, or the natural instinct for survival of species? How many of us - in the deepest parts of our atavism - felt relief at "the rock smashing Piggy's skull" (Golding) because that is what our instinct craved?

I am not sure that bias and atavism are directly linked. Atavism is more of a throwback of evolution. Bias is bred from hand me down hearsay. It is like in some place in the world there is civil war, and if you ask the people directly what they are fighting about, they will reply because their father did as did his father before him. If you press the issue, it will still come down to, "It's not important, we are right and they are wrong."

We as humans are still embedded with natural animal instincts. We have just learned to curb these instincts and redefine them. The most controversial of all is still the issues of sexuality and the remnants of the dominant alpha male which we should have gotten past and out dated decades ago. Men still have some pretty weird ideas of what women are all about, and most of them are still very derogatory. Is that instinct? Is it a relevant to atavism? Always worth pondering. Yet the real issue is that humanity is suppose to on top of the chain, we should be a product of our own advanced development. Yet, we still scurry behind old belief systems and patterns and use them as shields because knowledge is too much of a strain of their comfort zone. Thus, igronance is bliss. Truth be known, that phrase is misquoted out of context, so it is not such a great pearl of wisdom. Go ahead, look it up, it's interesting.

Archived