The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Province - Willie comes strong defending the deployment of his young players

funkyfresh

He has to play them for them to make mistakes 

What a moronic thing to say. He IS playing them and what's more he is playing 4 at once. Go and check out how many other rookies (not drafted in the top 3) are getting more time. If you find any I guarantee they are the only rookie in the team, while Willie is playing 3/4/5 if you include sophomore year.

The problem I have with the benching in the third, is that things are going good up until then. We are leading and then we decide the shorten the bench. Now we've given up a lead in the third period twice now?

What do you mean "benching?" All the rookies were out on rotation in the 3rd, go and check. The shifts might have been short but these guys are rookies not Sedins.

Benching them when the game gets close does nothing for their confidence, and sends the message that he doesn't trust them.

We needed a 3rd goal when it was 2-1 but instead he shortened the bench and tried to protect the lead. Reminds me of AV in his first couple years here. Sit back and hope that your goalie stands on his head. A strategy that has been proven to fail.

Either he trusts the young guys and can play them 10 minutes a game, or send them back to junior. They're ready or they're not. Trying to shelter them to this extreme level does nothing for their confidence. Especially when they're playing no worse than the vets for the most part. How about Burrows, Sutter, and Hansen be aggressive and play the right way?

The rookies came out in rotation, with their line mates. What are you talking about. Go check what the other rookies at their level are getting from other coaches and stop embarrassing yourself.

Most of the rookies bar Hutton and Baertschi managed minus figures last night, despite only being on for these minutes. Does that tell you anything?

What do you mean "benching?" All the rookies were out on rotation in the 3rd, go and check. The shifts might have been short but these guys are rookies not Sedins.

I saw Jake out there with 2 minutes left in regulation. Not sure where some people are getting their information. 

Splitting hairs...it goes from getting benched to OK maybe he wasn't benched but it still isn't good enough

Well he was benched during most of the third, which is the point.

Having a short shift near the end of the period doesn't mean Willie didn't shorten his bench.

Well he was benched during most of the third, which is the point.

Having a short shift near the end of the period doesn't mean Willie didn't shorten his bench.

Jake played a total of 13:50 & had 20 shifts in total. Perspective - Daniel Sedin had 5 more shifts

1st 4:18 (6 shifts)

2nd 5:07 (7shifts)

3rd 4:25 (7 shifts - 4 earlier in the period and three after the 10 minute mark

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20152016/TV020143.HTM

Jake played a total of 13:50 & had 20 shifts in total. Perspective - Daniel Sedin had 5 more shifts

1st 4:18 (6 shifts)

2nd 5:07 (7shifts)

3rd 4:25 (7 shifts - 4 earlier in the period and three after the 10 minute mark

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20152016/TV020143.HTM

Hmm I guess I imagined it then. Can't say I'm the only one who thought he was benched, maybe that just means he was invisible.

It must have been the 10 minutes between the 14 minute mark and the 4 minute mark where he played just over a minute. I think that's when most people probably noticed he wasn't playing regular shifts.

Archived