The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Power Play personnel

Googlie

Seeing Hank (or was it Danny) the other day leap 5 feet in the air to avoid a point shot while screening got me to thinking of the personnel we are using.

IMO last years best combination was Edler and Vrbata on the point with the twins and Burr.  Burrows is the ideal front net screen - takes hacks, gives hacks and has fast hands for tips etc.

My second unit would be Hutton and Weber (or maybe Sutter) manning the points, with Bae, McCann and Bo up front.

Twitchy reminds me of a politician who will say anything to fire up his base but then does nothing.  Last presser he said, in answer to a Q, "It'd be interesting to see Baertschi and McCann on the PP" - well, WD, it's your hand tapping the shoulders - make it happen.

Anyone with better combinations?

That look's pretty good, especially the 2nd PP. I do have a hate on for Burrows lately so I'd try Hutton with PP1 and throw Tanev with Webber. I'd also alternate Sutter with any of the 3 kids based upon their game play. Keep the competition alive and a release valve for the kids when it's just one of those games. 

I think the problem is that with our current personel setup our players are spread out so the left side poses the greatest threat of scoring. All the opposition has to do is cut off the lanes feeding either Weber or Vrbata and the Sedin's can do NOTHING.

IMO

--------------------------------------

Vrbata - Dank - Hank

Hutton - Edler

Hansen - Horvat - McCann

Weber - Tanev

Bolded are the players who don't necessarily have to handle the puck much but pose a legitimate shooting threat.

PP1 runs through Hank and PP2 runs through McCann.

I think the problem is that with our current personel setup our players are spread out so the left side poses the greatest threat of scoring. All the opposition has to do is cut off the lanes feeding either Weber or Vrbata and the Sedin's can do NOTHING.

IMO

Vrbata - Dank - Hank

Hutton - Edler

Hansen - Horvat - McCann

Weber - Tanev

Bolded are the players who don't necessarily have to handle the puck much but pose a legitimate shooting threat.

PP1 runs through Hank and PP2 runs through McCann.

I would switch Hutton with Weber and I agree PP2 should run through McCann - like how the Soo PP ran through McCann.

I kinda saw McCann as being the trigger man on the second PP, with Weber as an alternate.  Bo being the net presence and Hutton and Bae the set-up men.

I get the impression that management thinks Bae's vision and passing skills are almost equal to Hank's, with Hutton not far behind. (Bae's assist to goals ratio in Junior and NHL is almost 2:1 - and in AHL is 1.5 to 1, although in his last year of Junior, 10 of his 33 goals were PP goals but only 5 of his 61 assists)

Seeing Hank (or was it Danny) the other day leap 5 feet in the air to avoid a point shot while screening got me to thinking of the personnel we are using.

IMO last years best combination was Edler and Vrbata on the point with the twins and Burr.  Burrows is the ideal front net screen - takes hacks, gives hacks and has fast hands for tips etc.

My second unit would be Hutton and Weber (or maybe Sutter) manning the points, with Bae, McCann and Bo up front.

Twitchy reminds me of a politician who will say anything to fire up his base but then does nothing.  Last presser he said, in answer to a Q, "It'd be interesting to see Baertschi and McCann on the PP" - well, WD, it's your hand tapping the shoulders - make it happen.

Anyone with better combinations?

I agree with what you're saying here but do you really need to resort to name calling (Twitchy - so unbelievably uncalled for). Truly shows your support for the team when you make fun of the coach. Well done. Respect is lost.

hey - it's an affectionate nickname he's had on the Boards for over a year now.  No malice nor disrespect intended - much like the "real good" repetitions. And I have supported this team ever since I moved to Vancouver in 1982, thru the lean years and the fat years, thru PQ, Crow and AV as well as LaForge, Torts et al.   Believe me, coaches have been called a lot worse by fans, the press, and posters here.

But I apologize if I have offended you.  I am sure that WD chuckles if he reads any of these threads. He is, after all, a U of Sask alumni.

I agree McCann should be on the 2nd unit PP as a centerman.

This guy has shown he has the ability to use open ice and he can definitely shoot the puck.

I would move Sutter to the wing and put him in front of the net with McCann behind in the net or on the low boards.

Hansen would be removed.

Keep Hutton and Tanev on the points for safety reasons.

Archived