The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

LEAD BY EXAMPLE

Giving up on Kassian?

You know, I'm still dissapointed about the organization giving up on Rick Rypien....who knows what would have happened if the Canucks didn't ship him off.  I feel if  you want to leave a legacy look after your players in need....that doesn't mean keeping vets around past their prime...it means stepping up and doing a hard job in the face of adversity.  Management asks this of our players every day.....the least they could do is lead by example. 

That's nice to be angry about something like that, but are you leading by example yourself? How about you get out and find some addicts and try to help them out. Just saying.

P.S. The NHL is a business, not a charity case.

29 minutes ago, Tig'ol Bitties said:

That's nice to be angry about something like that, but are you leading by example yourself? How about you get out and find some addicts and try to help them out. Just saying.

P.S. The NHL is a business, not a charity case.

Its not that Im mad it just seems to me that its not something that should be swept under the rug.  Too many players have been cast aside and met terrible ends.  My brother is an addict...so I know the struggle very well. 

15 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

Im not mad...im passionate....and I do. My brother is an addict.  Thank you.  Not a charity case?  Wow.  So if you had some health issues and you were fired....youd be ok with that? 

If I was paid a lot of money and given the help of two different stages of treatment yet still deserved to be fired? Then yes.

Kassian has a skillset and someone may still pick him up, or maybe he goes to play in another league if this leads to the Canadiens dropping his contract. He hasn't worked out for them, and they're giving him an opportunity to try again elsewhere.

My brother is as well, and he's squandered his fair share of chances. Sometimes you have to be able to stand for yourself to really improve and not rely on things being handed to you in the hopes you'll be ok.

3 minutes ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Hate to say it, but this guy might have a point.  The Canucks did cast these guys aside rather than actually deal with the problem.

Hardly. Kassian went through a lot here, not the least of which was the level one substance abuse program. I'm sure he would have had plenty of help and support along with that. Rypien was the same, Bieksa was well aware of his struggles and helped him deal with it along with many on the team. Mindcheck.ca was a byproduct of his passing and a business decision to let him go to another class organization in a city he was very familiar with is not what I would call casting him aside.

33 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

Its not that Im mad it just seems to me that its not something that should be swept under the rug.  Too many players have been cast aside and met terrible ends.  My brother is an addict...so I know the struggle very well. 

What makes you think they were not working with him? And grew frustrated because he was unresponsive?

When this surfaced that Kassian was in this accident and had his issues?  A few quotes surfaced.  I recall Burrows mentioning them being amazed Kass showing up for work sometimes.  In a daze, full of bruises on his back and on his body?  Who knows what that meant. Whether he had debts and was being beaten? Brawling after long nights?? I have no idea. But it was a definite issue.

Benning mentioned he disclosed the issues to Montreal.

Archived