The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Edm-Van then Clb-Van

HKSR

To Vancouver:  Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

To Edmonton:  Alex Edler and 2nd Round Pick (2016)

Canucks get their #1 centre for the future having a 1-2 punch of Hopkins and Horvat while Sutter is the 3rd line pivot.

Edmonton gets a nice top pairing defenceman to help their back end and a 35-45 range pick in this year's draft.

To Vancouver:  Zach Werenski

To Columbus:  Jared McCann and Hunter Shinkaruk

Vancouver gets a grade-A top defence prospect to help their horrible pool of prospects on the back end.  McCann is expendable now that Hopkins is in the mix. 

Columbus gets a centre to add to their depth after losing RyJo, while also adding a very good prospect in Shinkaruk for the wing. 

17 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

22 yr old 1st overall skilled centre who is just happening to find his NHL game for aging defenseman who appears to be on the decline and a second?  You crazy!

Personally I think Nugent-Hopkins is a bit overrated because he went 1st overall.  Just because he went 1st overall doesn't mean he's a franchise forward.  Arguably he was 1st overall in a relatively weak draft (in terms of top-end talent).  He is consistently averaging 56ish points (this year on pace for 52pts).  Heck, he couldn't even help carry Canada to a WJC gold medal in a lockout year.  And now has been dethroned by Draisatl.

Yes, he's young and still has a lot of potential, but with Draisatl taking over and McDavid ready again soon, Hopkins becomes the odd man out.  The Oilers would benefit from Edler much more than Hopkins at this point.

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Personally I think Nugent-Hopkins is a bit overrated because he went 1st overall.  Just because he went 1st overall doesn't mean he's a franchise forward.  Arguably he was 1st overall in a relatively weak draft (in terms of top-end talent).  He is consistently averaging 56ish points (this year on pace for 52pts).  Heck, he couldn't even help carry Canada to a WJC gold medal in a lockout year.  And now has been dethroned by Draisatl.

Yes, he's young and still has a lot of potential, but with Draisatl taking over and McDavid ready again soon, Hopkins becomes the odd man out.  The Oilers would benefit from Edler much more than Hopkins at this point.

Hopkins has been their best player by a landslide this year. They would be insane to move him.

Not to mention, they were trying to use him to get a guy like Seth Jones.

29 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

Hopkins has been their best player by a landslide this year. They would be insane to move him.

Alex Edler, Seth Jones...

Come on. Edler has wayyyy more value. /s

52 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

"Trying" is the key word.  I forgot, but did they end up getting Seth Jones?

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I think a lot of the 'overrated' talk comes from the fact he was clearly rushed into the NHL by one of the worst run franchises in the modern NHL.  He was a child skating amongst men.  Now that he is finally starting to physically mature he is showing why he went first overall, the Oilers won't be trading him for our has-beens.  Don't get me wrong, I like Edler as a player, but he has peaked already and has nowhere to go but down at this point in his career.  Nuge is only going to improve.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

What?  Hall, Draisaitl and arguably Talbot as well have all out played the Nuge.  How you came to the conclusion that RNH has been the best by a landslide is beyond me.  Klefbom and McDavid will also be more valuable than RNH once they are back from injury.

Talking to family members and season ticket holders, mostly. I trust in their observations.

Archived