The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anze Kopitar named New Captain of Kings

On June 16, 2016 at 10:49 AM, HKSR said:

With all due respect to the late Luc Bourdon, I do remember how angry I was that the Canucks passed over Kopitar.  Imagine what the 2011 Canucks would have looked like with Henrik, Kesler, Kopitar, and Malhotra down the middle.

I know, hindsight is 20/20... but man, we missed out on a helluva player.

I was more surprised they passed on Staal who was still there at that point. Bob Mckenzie was sure they would pick him.

On June 16, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Cowichan Canuck said:

That is who I assumed they would give it to. I'm pretty surprised actually, but I have no idea what either of them are like in the D R or how they are respected by their teammates.

Doughty's game just screams Captain to me (tough as nails, grubby, high compete level, prob best all around dman in the world), not that Kopitar isn't also worthy.

I thought it would've been Doughty too but figured they'd go with Kopitar. 

On June 16, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Coconuts said:

No surprise. Brown may have been captain but it was always Kopitar's team.

Not necessarily. It really wasn't until the last few years that Kopitar finally turned the corner. But, for whatever reason, when their current group of vets from within the organisation were pups, it was decided then that Brown was the one with the most leadership potential. 

On June 16, 2016 at 10:30 AM, kj29 said:

Finally this goof is not captain anymore.....

836d194ba8bf0e970cec4b99977593b541344fde

The guy may be a douchebag, but, you can't argue that he stepped it up in the postseason when the Cup was within reach. That IS what you want to see from your captain, isn't it?

Archived