The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Economist ranks Vancouver as the 3rd most livable city in the world

nux4lyfe

10 minutes ago, Monty said:

She'd get paid the same amount in Vancouver. 

I'd guess she's in the minority. I'd love to move to Van Isl in the Ladysmith-Qualicum corridor but the industry I work in only slightly exists in Victoria and not at all in that corridor.

Jobs be kind of important yo.

I could likely make more money in Toronto...but I don't much care for the city (other than the improved music/arts scene). I could probably make Montreal or Ottawa work but I wouldn't really be much further ahead for affordability/wages, be away from family and have to deal with COLD winters...meh.

16 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'd guess she's in the minority. I'd love to move to Van Isl in the Ladysmith-Qualicum corridor but the industry I work in only slightly exists in Victoria and not at all in that corridor.

Jobs be kind of important yo.

I could likely make more money in Toronto...but I don't much care for the city (other than the improved music/arts scene). I could probably make Montreal or Ottawa work but I wouldn't really be much further ahead for affordability/wages, be away from family and have to deal with COLD winters...meh.

Isn't Montreal dirt cheap? Or has that changed? When I was there a few years ago there were some beautiful apartments for rent that only cost about $750-1000 - the equivalent pricing here in Victoria would be double that, if not more. 

The job market in Montreal sure is weak, though - unless you speak French very well

Just now, GLASSJAW said:

Isn't Montreal dirt cheap? Or has that changed? When I was there a few years ago there were some beautiful apartments for rent that only cost about $750-1000 - the equivalent pricing here in Victoria would be double that, if not more. 

The job market in Montreal sure is weak, though - unless you speak French very well

It's cheaper in comparison to Van (what isn't?). But as you say, the job market is less too... So again, no further ahead on the affordability/wage tug o' war.

22 minutes ago, Monty said:

In some respects, yes. But my wife, a teacher, gets paid $82k in Manitoba. She'd get paid the same amount in Vancouver. Guess where our money goes further and how often we get to travel/relax due to the place we live?

Most people adapt.  ie one parent is a teacher > the other does what they have to do in business.  Allthough in simplified terms you are right.

So in the grand scheme it should be harder to attract teachers and other essential positions? Because higher paying jobs lure potential teachers away from essential services. In contrast, that's the actual basis for the Economist rating places like Vancouver so high.  There is enough of a diversity of jobs, essentials of service such as transport, schools, sport, health care, public recreation area's...  Most can find opportunity to live vibrantly & take advantage of the facilities. And there is still world class education, schools and facilities fully serviced. That is the essence of the report suggesting Vancouver as a top 3 place in the world to live all opportunities, factors inclusive.

On a one off basis, if two parents have civil service jobs with capped pay > fair enough live in a less expensive local to take advantage. 

Archived