The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

IIHF World Hockey Championships 2017 - Any chance NHL Players wont participate?

iinatcc

Well yeah that's my question basically I am asking because I'll be in Europe (actually an hour from Cologne) around the time of the World Championships and am deciding if I will watch or not.

Naturally seeing NHL players play is going to be big selling point.

Actually I am just asking because of the "World Cup" of Hockey and the NHL Owners not wanting to participate in the Olympics, is there a chance NHL players won't be able to play here?

This isn't like the Olympics - they're generally a lock to participate. 

What you can't count on is seeing any elite players - it may be guys like McJesus or guys like Mike Matheson - you never know who'll get invited or who will actually accept their invitation. 

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Well yeah that's my question basically I am asking because I'll be in Europe (actually an hour from Cologne) around the time of the World Championships and am deciding if I will watch or not.

Naturally seeing NHL players play is going to be big selling point.

Actually I am just asking because of the "World Cup" of Hockey and the NHL Owners not wanting to participate in the Olympics, is there a chance NHL players won't be able to play here?

This is totally different, the Olympics take place during the middle of the NHL season. No player whose team is in the playoffs will participate, but any who're invited & aren't playing in the NHL playoffs usually attend. Exception being those who are a little banged up & need the R&R. Typically players from teams that get knocked out in the first round also end up attending the World Championships.

Archived