The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Rebuild 101

fanfor42

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:17 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem is the Sedins and how until they move on the team will never turn the corner on or off the ice.

Burrows on a cheap contract and Hansen are the type of leaders you want your kids to learn from. All around players who contribute at both ends of the ice and work their asses off to earn what they get. 

The Sedins are offense only. And if they are being their predictable, pass only to each other selves they are easily rendered non factors 5 on 5 and on the PP. Until we start letting the kids have the opportunity to take more of the offensive reigns we will be doomed to repeat the last several years of no offensive creativity, no urgency to shoot the puck, and no heart to gut out tough times.

Note it is not all the Sedins. It is our management and coaches still believing that it's a good idea to build around the Sedins and hope they catch lightning in a bottle and regain their glory years.

Hard to read, but true, I think.  The number of goals the Sedins have given up in their own zone, the inability to kill penalties, the inability to skate backwards (I can do this, and I only played to Midget A) the lack of shot-blocking, hitting etc., is why they are not and never were complete players.  Doesn't mean they cannot lead, but it makes it more difficult.  Burrows and Sutter or Hansen you keep 'til the bitter end (mentors plus).  Tanev is a temporary core player, but in principle could be moved at this or the next TDL.   

The team either needs more of what Columbus has (committed, difficult to play against players) or just plain more talent.  Guys like Baertschi and Granlund are neither very difficult to play against nor hugely talented... so.. probably not around in 2 years.  A lot depends on whether in a year or 2, one of our young D can be moved for an upgrade at the forward position -- like New Jersey did -- and whether this year's draft pick(s) and next year's work out.  Because as has been mentioned, even with a pile of younger players on the Canucks, no one seems to be 1st line material. (with the possible exception of Horvat.)

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:44 AM, Wilbur said:

Am I pretty much the only one that saw this?  He probably could've pointed it out politely again but @fanfor42 wasn't necessarily saying trade all the vets but that by the 2018-2019 season, almost all the vets contracts will be expiring and hopefully the Canucks will be moving on from them at that point.

It's not so much a "get rid of all the vets now thread" as a "patience and this is who I think we should keep" thread.

Exactly thank you.

The thread says that by September 2018 a number of vets will have expired contracts.  I am advocating moving on and not resigning them at that point.   I'd like to see some movement between now and then to generate new picks and prospects.

I'm not advocating wholesale moves today.  I'm just saying that by September 2018 I would like to see us move on from the vets and make Horvat the captain and allow him to lead the new group. 

Some posters failed to read what I was saying and jumped all over it.  One guy calls me a jerk. That's ok. I can take it.  By the way, I've met Larry David and he was extremely funny and charming.

I'm a long term season ticket holder and just wanted to voice my opinion about a future that will be upon us in 1 1/2 seasons. If anyone would like to see us keep the same veteran group past September 2018 I'd like to ask why?

9 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Exactly thank you.

The thread says that by September 2018 a number of vets will have expired contracts.  I am advocating moving on and not resigning them at that point.   I'd like to see some movement between now and then to generate new picks and prospects.

I'm not advocating wholesale moves today.  I'm just saying that by September 2018 I would like to see us move on from the vets and make Horvat the captain and allow him to lead the new group. 

Some posters failed to read what I was saying and jumped all over it.  One guy calls me a jerk. That's ok. I can take it.  By the way, I've met Larry David and he was extremely funny and charming.

I'm a long term season ticket holder and just wanted to voice my opinion about a future that will be upon us in 1 1/2 seasons. If anyone would like to see us keep the same veteran group past September 2018 I'd like to ask why?

Your position is completely reasonable.  Even if you weren't a season ticket holder.  I THINK mgt is timing the end of these contracts so that they can go more in the direction you are suggesting.  Many of us certainly hope so.

Mostly agree, except for the Sedins and Hansen. Offer the twins half of what they make now and re-define their roles on the team to a third line shut down line with Hansen on the wing. They're style is be taylor made for that role. Hard forecheck with lots of work along the boards. Their minutes would be greatly reduced to 12-14 minutes as apposed to the 20 they're playing now, allowing longer recuperation times and higher energy shifts. The Sedins still offer a lo of value as long as they're placed in the right situation. 

Henrik keeps the "C" but Horvat does get an "A"; I think he's earned that.

Another name I may add to that list if demands are too high is Gudbranson.

Archived