The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

we are all Canucks!

Rocksterh8

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

I really doesn't matter what should have been, it's what is. The rebuild didn't start until Gillis was fired and Benning took over. So that's the starting point of our rebuild.

By that logic, the leafs are on year 2 of their rebuild currently as the rebuild didn't start until Lou  took over.

For people resisting rebuilds, maybe they should do it more often as it doesn't seem to take long at all. What seems to take longer is management's decision to rebuild (while toiling in mediocrity) rather than going with a swift Rebuild.  

looking at most recent power house team, it was 2010, 2011 Canucks that won back to back presidents trophy. But how they got there took many years. they drafted Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, found Burrows, traded for or acquired Lui, Samuelson, Erhoff, Salo, Torres, Malhotra etc.   Remember how they always win the div yr after yr, but never seem to beat hawks in the playoffs until 2011? Back then, they added each year mostly through trades. With the new CBA structure, drafting becomes more crucial, and this team for the most part doesn't have a the best track record in drafting. I think JB is doing well in that aspect, and even turning a pick that didn't pan out like mccann they got a good return of it. They found gems like Hutton, Stetch, Tryamkin.  Not getting anything from Hammer or more from the kassian/prust debacle hurts, but no GM is prefect. But overall I think he did more good than bad.

I think if healthy, this current team can be more competitive than it is currently, although not much beyond a playoff appearance. I think they do have many pieces so far are in place, like julevi, boeser, demko, tryamkin, baerts, granny, sutter, jv, Hutton, stetcher. We will likely pick in top 5-10 again this year. I think they won't be competitive until another two-three years. However, as a fan, I want to see progress. And making the playoffs next yr 2017-2018 will be a good start. Part of the frustration this yr is that they are not much better than last year, although I think the D core is playing better when healthy.

when I first became a fan in 2001, it took 9 years to see them get into the cup final. That how long it can take, sometimes even longer for many teams. Look at CBJ now, who saw that coming last season?

14 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

By that logic, the leafs are on year 2 of their rebuild currently as the rebuild didn't start until Lou  took over.

For people resisting rebuilds, maybe they should do it more often as it doesn't seem to take long at all. What seems to take longer is management's decision to rebuild (while toiling in mediocrity) rather than going with a swift Rebuild.  

The Leafs have been rebuilding for years. Their biggest mistake was Burke trying to speed it up with two 1st's and a 2nd for Kessel. When you're a bottom team you keep your 1st round picks. Two stars and a wild card are better than one star even if if means an extra two years.

There is no swift rebuild.

9 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The Leafs have been rebuilding for years. Their biggest mistake was Burke trying to speed it up with two 1st's and a 2nd for Kessel. When you're a bottom team you keep your 1st round picks. Two stars and a wild card are better than one star even if if means an extra two years.

There is no swift rebuild.

When you trade 2 firsts and a 2nd for Kessel, that isn't a rebuild. That's  a win now move. 

Your example supports my argument more than yours. 

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

When you trade 2 firsts and a 2nd for Kessel, that isn't a rebuild. That's a win now move. 

Your example supports my argument more than yours. 

No, that's a speed up move for a young rising star. I'd still rather have two high 1st's than 1 young guy in a contract dispute though. Given Kessels age at the time it's still a futures move. Toronto wasn't going to win anything now, they were rebuilding. Burke was just looking to speed it up.

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

No, that's a speed up move for a young rising star. I'd still rather have two high 1st's than 1 young guy in a contract dispute though. Given Kessels age at the time it's still a futures move. Toronto wasn't going to win anything now, they were rebuilding. Burke was just looking to speed it up.

LOL like a "retool"? 

Archived