The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

we are all Canucks!

Rocksterh8

To all my fellow CDC people. I am a long time follower and fan of the Canucks, matter of fact I started watching them when I was a kid in 1970 and have dreamed of the day when I'm drinking beer, eating snacks and jumping up and down, going crazy as I watch them hoist the STANLEY CUP!  What I'm saying here is I'm on your side, we are all on the same side.

Just because I don't agree with how their management is going about re-tooling or re-building doesn't mean I'm not the biggest fan around. I do think Jim has made some very astute and good picks, like Demko, Tyamkin and Boesser. He's not all bad at being a GM, I just think he could have done more in the way of acquiring picks and maybe more prospects.

I would love nothing more than seeing them hoist that cup someday before I pass, but right now I feel they are not doing enough to get the most skilled players possible and are doing too much to be in the hunt right now instead of seeing the big picture down the road. It's not even so much what they say (playoff team), it's more their actions that worry me.

I want the team to compete for the cup as much as anyone on here, I'm just losing hope with seeing the direction they are taking, to me it reads middle of the road for a very long time.

Cheers, Go Canucks Go!

6 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

I want the team to compete for the cup as much as anyone on here, I'm just losing hope with seeing the direction they are taking, to me it reads middle of the road for a very long time.

You have every right to lose hope when you see your clubs useless  management play  J Megma  ( 10 nhl goals in 4 yrs  )  with the Sedins yet  never gave top draft choice Virtanen any time with the twins to help his development....

I think you feel like many of us here..just because we disagree with certain things doesn't mean we are any less a fan...

Many hold back saying what they feel because they don't feel like being attacked as a bandwagoner or a troll.

I'm sure many will dismiss your thread as baseless and unfounded but I see where you are coming from.

1 hour ago, Rocksterh8 said:

To all my fellow CDC people. I am a long time follower and fan of the Canucks, matter of fact I started watching them when I was a kid in 1970 and have dreamed of the day when I'm drinking beer, eating snacks and jumping up and down, going crazy as I watch them hoist the STANLEY CUP!  What I'm saying here is I'm on your side, we are all on the same side.

Just because I don't agree with how their management is going about re-tooling or re-building doesn't mean I'm not the biggest fan around. I do think Jim has made some very astute and good picks, like Demko, Tyamkin and Boesser. He's not all bad at being a GM, I just think he could have done more in the way of acquiring picks and maybe more prospects.

I would love nothing more than seeing them hoist that cup someday before I pass, but right now I feel they are not doing enough to get the most skilled players possible and are doing too much to be in the hunt right now instead of seeing the big picture down the road. It's not even so much what they say (playoff team), it's more their actions that worry me.

Cheers, Go Canucks Go!

Actually, this board would be boring as s**t if we all agreed on everything. Follow the board rules of treating each other with a modicum of respect, back your statements up with facts, rise above using hyperbolic statements like "useless management" etc. to wind people up, and have at it. 

2 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Cheers, Go Canucks Go!

Excellent post!

i have an .Aquaman blue/green Koolaide sucker that will make you feel better about the team's direction.  :lol:

16 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Actually, this board would be boring as s**t if we all agreed on everything. Follow the board rules of treating each other with a modicum of respect, back your statements up with facts, rise above using hyperbolic statements like "useless management" etc. to wind people up, and have at it. 

Back our opinions up with facts?  :lol:

look the current management is doing a horrible job drafting in the first round.  We should have Ehlers, Pasternak, and Tkatchuk in our lineup, but JB missed.  This is my opinion.  You can either agree, or disagree, but that will be your opinion.  

2 hours ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Cheers, Go Canucks Go!

Good post  I probably was a lot more vocal about things in my younger days but I've mellowed out some and for my sanity I try to hang out in the middle of the road..... avoiding cars and those big nasty trucks as much as possible. :)  I also have a fairly low boiling point, always found it was better to at least try to get along with everybody if possible.  I guess it comes down to patience. Some have more, some less. I too want to see a stanley cup b4 I die. The clocks a tickin on that tho. Anyway, sometimes we all forget that most everybody posting here is a canuck fan. Some days it doesn't feel like it I guess. Maybe we'll have something more to cheer about than small victories.

I don't understand what everyone is so upset about. We are at the bottom of the standings with a great mix of leadership and youth. 

Trade everyone? Why? This expansion draft has greatly reduced the value of our already diminishing assets. Not really sure what you're going to do with a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round picks in January anyway. Why stress an already stressed group with a bunch of knee jerks. 

The best thing we can do is what we are already doing. Nothing. It benefits both sides of the argument. I know it seems silly to even say out loud but if there is any time veteran leadership is important it's during the down times. The vets show the young guys how to battle through the hornets nest of the media and help correct some of the on ice deficiencies. This really can't be understated. 

IMO we are literally in the perfect scenario to transition. There isn't any point in fretting about what JB did or didn't do in the past. Where we are now is far better than somehow squeezing into the playoffs and fooling everyone for another year, and far better than getting absolutely smoked every game for the rest of the season. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

look the current management is doing a horrible job drafting in the first round.  We should have Ehlers, Pasternak, and Tkatchuk in our lineup, but JB missed.  This is my opinion.  You can either agree, or disagree, but that will be your opinion.  

Don't worry Alf, I would never hold a pedantic old fool like you up to the standard of using facts to back up your "opinions".

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

You have every right to lose hope when you see your clubs useless  management

3 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

lol

It's all about September 2018. At that point the vets contracts will be expired.  I'd like Horvat to be captain at that point leading a young team. Add 2017 and 2018 high first round picks plus whatever picks and prospects we can get from moves between now and then. September 2018 is important for CANUCKS AND their fans.  

Just now, fanfor42 said:

It's all about September 2018. At that point the vets contracts will be expired.  I'd like Horvat to be captain at that point leading a young team. Add 2017 and 2018 high first round picks plus whatever picks and prospects we can get from moves between now and then. September 2018 is important for CANUCKS AND their fans.  

JB can't miss any more though on his high firsts.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

In my opinion the biggest one we missed out on was Nylander.

I'm a long time fan and always will be. Throughout the years there have been Canucks it was easy o get excited about, Smyl,Williams, Bure, Linden, Keller, The Sedins and many more. Sadly there is no one I'm excited about now. I will still be a fan forever but I long for someone to be excited about again.

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

You have every right to lose hope when you see your clubs useless  management play  J Megma  ( 10 nhl goals in 4 yrs  )  with the Sedins yet  never gave top draft choice Virtanen any time with the twins to help his development....

1st of all, Jayson Megma is playing better hockey for us than JV ever has. 

2nd, Megma is filling in for an injury and the only reason he got to play with the Sedins is because Eriksson is clearly not a fit and this way WD could keep his 2nd/3rd lines intact.

3rd, remind me why exactly we're talking about JV? I don't see a scenario where he sees another NHL game this year and that's 100% on Jake, not WD. 

41 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Rebuilds take time. If he can do it in 5 yrs that's an amazing turnaround. Chicago 7 yrs. Pittsburgh 7 years. Toronto and Edmonton over a decade. We are just into our third year. No such thing as a fast rebuild.

The Canucks should be on year 5 of their rebuild starting the season after a first round knockout to the Kings in 2012. If we give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe even include the first round sweep to San Jose in 2013. After that point, surely the writing was on the wall.  

So at the very least, this should be the 4th year of rebuild meaning they had 4 seasons of drafts, offseason trades and signings. 

I think things could have been worse but it could also have been better. Like one of the above posters have posted, 2018 will be a good indicator as to whether the Canucks did well or not. 

I see Virtanen and Juolevi playing in Utica next year while Boesser makes the team out of camp. 

Tryamkin will continue to develop as well as Hutton and Stetcher. 

It'll be interesting to see which 3 vets will still be around to compliment these guys and what kind of return we will get for the ones we decide not to keep. 

If the returns are abysmal like some of our trade deadline deals, we would have set ourselves up to be a middle of the pack team. If Tryamkin, Hutton, Stetcher continue to develop and we throw Juolevi into the mix in 2018 and keep 2 really solid vets while trading the others for GREAT returns (top 6 help) along with drafting impact first line forwards, we will have a lot of hope moving forward from 2018. We can't have any misses with our first round picks. 

I'm ok with how this year has unfolded. We are battling every game and our young guys are stepping up. They are not playing above their heads and are steadily improving and gaining confidence. The only anxious piece is Virtanen but it looks like Green is sorting him out in Utica. Even the assist tonight was caused by him using his speed and attacking the net. I haven't given up on JV and I am still glad we picked him over Nylander and Ehlers. I want this team to be a big north south team that plays with edge and toughness.

Virtanen laid some huge hits in his rookie year. I think he was either told to tone it down or is playing it safe because of his shoulder and he's working on learning to play the game the right way. When he has it all together, I expect him to ramp up his physicality again. JVs combination of size, speed, physicality and shot is high risk high reward. Once he has it all together and he's putting up 60 pts on the 2nd line while blowing up the opposition's defence with some nasty hits, we won't care that Nylander and Ehlers are putting up 90 pts because at that point, someone else from our team will be putting up 80 pts while no one from Toronto or Winnipeg will have a forward like Virtanen. 

Remember when Ferland was running around in the playoffs? Imagine our own Ferland but with more speed and skill and the ability to finish. 

I'll take that over a "skilled" player anyday. 

Anyway, the retool could have gone faster by just going rebuild but what's done is done and it's not like we completely shot ourselves in the foot. 

We got younger and have some really good kids coming up the system.

We just need to hit a couple of homeruns the next 2 seasons and we can do that by leveraging our super stocked D as well as some timely poor finishes in the standings for 2016 and 2017

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

The Canucks should be on year 5 of their rebuild starting the season after a first round knockout to the Kings in 2012. If we give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe even include the first round sweep to San Jose in 2013. After that point, surely the writing was on the wall.  

So at the very least, this should be the 4th year of rebuild meaning they had 4 seasons of drafts, offseason trades and signings. 

I think things could have been worse but it could also have been better. Like one of the above posters have posted, 2018 will be a good indicator as to whether the Canucks did well or not. 

I see Virtanen and Juolevi playing in Utica next year while Boesser makes the team out of camp. 

Tryamkin will continue to develop as well as Hutton and Stetcher. 

It'll be interesting to see which 3 vets will still be around to compliment these guys and what kind of return we will get for the ones we decide not to keep. 

If the returns are abysmal like some of our trade deadline deals, we would have set ourselves up to be a middle of the pack team. If Tryamkin, Hutton, Stetcher continue to develop and we throw Juolevi into the mix in 2018 and keep 2 really solid vets while trading the others for GREAT returns (top 6 help) along with drafting impact first line forwards, we will have a lot of hope moving forward from 2018. We can't have any misses with our first round picks. 

I'm ok with how this year has unfolded. We are battling every game and our young guys are stepping up. They are not playing above their heads and are steadily improving and gaining confidence. The only anxious piece is Virtanen but it looks like Green is sorting him out in Utica. Even the assist tonight was caused by him using his speed and attacking the net. I haven't given up on JV and I am still glad we picked him over Nylander and Ehlers. I want this team to be a big north south team that plays with edge and toughness.

Virtanen laid some huge hits in his rookie year. I think he was either told to tone it down or is playing it safe because of his shoulder and he's working on learning to play the game the right way. When he has it all together, I expect him to ramp up his physicality again. JVs combination of size, speed, physicality and shot is high risk high reward. Once he has it all together and he's putting up 60 pts on the 2nd line while blowing up the opposition's defence with some nasty hits, we won't care that Nylander and Ehlers are putting up 90 pts because at that point, someone else from our team will be putting up 80 pts while no one from Toronto or Winnipeg will have a forward like Virtanen. 

Remember when Ferland was running around in the playoffs? Imagine our own Ferland but with more speed and skill and the ability to finish. 

I'll take that over a "skilled" player anyday. 

Anyway, the retool could have gone faster by just going rebuild but what's done is done and it's not like we completely shot ourselves in the foot. 

We got younger and have some really good kids coming up the system.

We just need to hit a couple of homeruns the next 2 seasons and we can do that by leveraging our super stocked D as well as some timely poor finishes in the standings for 2016 and 2017

I really doesn't matter what should have been, it's what is. The rebuild didn't start until Gillis was fired and Benning took over. So that's the starting point of our rebuild.

Archived