The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Biggest Draft Busts

Adarsh Sant

On 12/30/2016 at 3:15 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Horvat is looking like he's turning into what we all hoped Hodgson would be....a shame really.

Course Cody (aside from collecting MILLIONS from his contract with the Sabres) still has this great clothing line LOL:!

http://cohoapparel.com/about-us/

I am guessing that Cody's dad has a heavy hand in the company....

Poor kid.

On 12/30/2016 at 0:09 PM, Ronaldoescobar said:

Worst: Nedved (hindsight and only because of who we could have had in JJ - not a bust however)

Best: Bure (still amazed the league let us have him)

In junior my buddy broke a stick over Nerdved's ankle while chasing him on a break-away. I think he managed to cause severe damage.

Good memories.

3 hours ago, Team Bagues said:

I am guessing that Cody's dad has a heavy hand in the company....

Poor kid.

CoHo is an example of unfortunate circumstances that have happened to several promising prospects. Let's remember how good he was in his rookie season..that rocket shot "blowing" Tim Thomas's "tires" in Boston for the eventual game winner. 

Yes, Team Bagues, I totally agree. CoHo's dad was a horrible influence in his career and self-entitlement rubbed off on the kid. Remember when Pat Quinn was high on CoHo before the draft? The maturity, leadership and high hockey IQ? Mr. Hodgson, like the Lindros family, is a prime example of the meddlesome and overbearing hockey parent(s). Too bad there aren't many hockey parents like Walter Gretzky. 

This is not to say that Mike Gillis and especially AV weren't without fault. 

Patrick white was bad but rj umberger and the whole 2001 draft was bad.

If your gonna draft someone in the first round make sure they can easily jump into the lineup in the first year at the least the first call up for an Injury.

46 minutes ago, Violator said:

Patrick white was bad but rj umberger and the whole 2001 draft was bad.

If your gonna draft someone in the first round make sure they can easily jump into the lineup in the first year at the least the first call up for an Injury.

Interesting take on the 2001 draft. Can't say I agree. The Canucks secured two legitimate NHL players that year from only six picks.

Umberger played 809 NHL games (including playoffs).

Bieksa has 784 NHL games (and counting).

That would generally be considered a pretty good "hit rate" for the draft (and not keeping Umberger doesn't change the fact it was a succesful pick from a scouting perspective).

And while I'm not always a fan of Scott Cullen's articles, his recent draft analysis (looking at picks made between 1990 and 2009) is pretty good work. He cites the Umberger pick as one of the best 16th overall draft choices made in two decades:

No. 16

Average Rating: 3.68
Best: Markus Naslund, Martin Biron, R.J. Umberger.
Worst: Nick Stajduhar, Mario Larocque, Alex Bourret.
Ranked 7 or better: 15.0%
Ranked 5 or worse: 75.0%
At least 100 NHL games (or extremely likely): 60.0%

Also can't really agree with the second point about making sure first rounders are able to "easily jump into the lineup in the first year."

Is Brock Boeser a bad pick then? 

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interesting take on the 2001 draft. Can't say I agree. The Canucks secured two legitimate NHL players that year from only six picks.

Umberger played 809 NHL games (including playoffs).

Bieksa has 784 NHL games (and counting).

That would generally be considered a pretty good "hit rate" for the draft (and not keeping Umberger doesn't change the fact it was a succesful pick from a scouting perspective).

And while I'm not always a fan of Scott Cullen's articles, his recent draft analysis (looking at picks made between 1990 and 2009) is pretty good work. He cites the Umberger pick as one of the best 16th overall draft choices made in two decades:

Also can't really agree with the second point about making sure first rounders are able to "easily jump into the lineup in the first year."

Is Brock Boeser a bad pick then? 

Comparing picks back into the '80's and 90's with those of today is questionable IMHO. The conditioning and coaching of young prospects today is far superior to past decades. What goes for the players also goes for the coaching and programs these players develop in at the junior level. I do think where a player plays should impact his evaluation. Simply put some junior orgs put more players into the NHL than others.

15 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

CoHo is an example of unfortunate circumstances that have happened to several promising prospects. Let's remember how good he was in his rookie season..that rocket shot "blowing" Tim Thomas's "tires" in Boston for the eventual game winner. 

Yes, Team Bagues, I totally agree. CoHo's dad was a horrible influence in his career and self-entitlement rubbed off on the kid. Remember when Pat Quinn was high on CoHo before the draft? The maturity, leadership and high hockey IQ? Mr. Hodgson, like the Lindros family, is a prime example of the meddlesome and overbearing hockey parent(s). Too bad there aren't many hockey parents like Walter Gretzky. 

This is not to say that Mike Gillis and especially AV weren't without fault. 

Yeah, CoHo was a strange one. Hard to really pin-point the reason for the decline after so much promise.

That Tim Thomas wrister will go down as legend in his short lived tenure.

Archived