The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Biggest Draft Busts

Adarsh Sant

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not many teams would have passed on Nedved in the same spot.  He was very highly touted and was a pretty damn good scorer in the NHL.  He had 300+ goals in the NHL and over 700 points.  Not sure that's a bust.

No, he wasn't a bust at all. He had a decent career, but imagine if the Canucks had drafted Jagr instead, and had played on the same line as Bure.

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

No, he wasn't a bust at all. He had a decent career, but imagine if the Canucks had drafted Jagr instead, and had played on the same line as Bure.

The key was nedved was already playing in North America and killing it - in the whl

there were doubts jagr would come over and for sure was not felt to be as good as neddy

10 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Your arguement about percentages is correct, however the trade value of ANY first rounder is still extremely high. There are numerous examples of 2nd or 3rd liners being traded for 1st or 2nd round picks. Even late 1st rounders have much higher value than what you are giving them.

cut the strawman - I haven't assigned any "value" to late 1sts. I've pointed the percentages - and if they are correct as you acknowledge, then the point about late picks being a "bust"....also makes sense does it not?

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

No argument here.  That said, who knows if he would have blossomed here like he did playing with one of the most dominant players in NHL history.  I would have liked to have found out.  Still, nedvec was a helluva player and a helluva pick.

Same year as Patrick White, we also took Taylor Ellington, who's now also out of the league, at 33rd OA, and ahead of PK Subban.  :picard:

Alex Mallet also comes to mind, getting picked as an older player when history already predicted that such draft+ players who perform well might just be because they're ahead in the development curve physically-speaking, yet apparently management ignored that fact and still felt like wasting a 2nd on him.  Damon Severson (NJ), Jimmy Vesey (Nsh), Shayne Gostisbhere (Phi), Matt Murray (Pit), Colton Parayko (StL), Fredrik Andersen (Tor), even our own Ben Hutton (in the 5th round) were some of the current NHL players drafted after him.   

6 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Janney was then traded back to St. Louis for Jeff brown and Nathan Lafayette who were both significant pieces in the cup run

Look back a few posts. I already posted that and we also got Hedican in the deal.

52 minutes ago, Canuck_Fan_52 said:

Stojanov, Nathan smith, Ryan Bonni, Josh Holden , Libor Polasek, Rob Murphy , Dan Woodley, are some busts

Linden, Sedin Twins, Pavel Bure, Cam Neely, Rick Vaive, Mike Peca, Ryan Kessler, Cory Schneider, are some of the best drafts

I remember when I worked back for the Nucks back in the day and they had one of the first "Season ticket holder summit" and Brian Burke got up in front of the room and said "We believe we have our next #1 center in the system and his name is Josh Holden" 

16 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

The scouting team in the history is a bust.  We need a better scouting to improve our drafts, that's all I want to see, a strong drafting team and Benning is beginning to assembly a better group of prospects.  The chance of busting will lessen over time.  

Agreed...the Canucks scouting from 2005-12 is the ultimate bust...Every team has players that 'bust' in the 1st round,but the scouting staffs inability to find useful players after the 1st round is mind blowing.

Just now, the_impersonator13 said:

and Brian Burke got up in front of the room and said "We believe we have our next #1 center in the system and his name is Josh Holden" 

"All it takes is one quarter to move this franchise....one phone call"

"Goalie of the future...."

"Dave Gagner was the key acquisition in the Bure trade.....the trade doesn't happen if he was included"  (or something to that effect LOL).

Burke was always great for quotes...

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

"All it takes is one quarter to move this franchise....one phone call"

"Goalie of the future...."

"Dave Gagner was the key acquisition in the Bure trade.....the trade doesn't happen if he was included"  (or something to that effect LOL).

Burke was always great for quotes...

Yeah he was! .....Was always a very nice guy when I spoke with him. I remember him picking up the phone and calling season ticket holders who didn't want to renew their tickets. Best quote was probably during a gathering of small ticket holders in a suite and someone asked about how he felt about Bure coming back when the Rangers where in town and he said "I'd love to run that little commie into the 3rd row!" .....no hesitation! 

I nominate the Canucks 2007 entire Draft group.

Stellar group - not one single player drafted that year by the Canucks played a single NHL game in their Career.

That is not easy for a NHL team  to accomplish .  ZERO games in the show for everyone they drafted....

Here is the group.

2007 Entry                    
Draft Num. Round Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM
2007 Entry 25 1 Patrick White C Tri-City Storm [USHL]          
2007 Entry 33 2 Taylor Ellington D Everett Silvertips [WHL]          
2007 Entry 145 5 Charles-Antoine Messier C Baie-Comeau Drakkar [QMJHL]          
2007 Entry 146 5 Ilya Kablukov W CSKA Moscow [Russia]          
2007 Entry 176 6 Taylor Matson C Des Moines Buccaneers [USHL]          
2007 Entry 206 7 Dan Gendur C Everett Silvertips [WHL]

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't really think it makes sense to lump in late 1sts as busts - they are relative longshots from the get-go.

Jason Herter - an 8th overall that played 1 NHL game - might be a candidate.

Personally, if Stojanov hadn't been dealt for one of the best players in franchise history, he'd have to be in there.

Dan Woodley

Shawn Antoski (not so much a "bust" as a whatthe? pick)

Cody Hodgson

Perhaps the most disappointing pick imo was Petr Nedved - but thankfully, like the Stojanov situation - the Canucks dealth him, and destroyed "The Professor" in the process lol.

Nedved still had a 38 goal season for us. Not a bust. Wouldnt even come close to saying the biggest dissapontment either. Was was dissaponting was the way he was handled. Speaking of jagr, nedved had a 45 goal ( 100 point season) with him with the pens. He was a good pick , just like neely. 

Biggest Draft Disappointment

Canucks in year one lose the Coin toss for first overall to the Sabres...

Sabres choose Perrault - 512   Career NHL goals

Canucks choose Talon - 98  Career NHL goals

Talon was by n means a bust but  still we miss GP by a coin toss........

Canucks have had some pretty bad luck at the Draft since the team joined the NHL

9 minutes ago, KFBR392 said:

White.. but with Virtanen looking like he could take over that spot in a few years. Hopefully not though, but given the draft spot and the players selected after him... it's not looking very promising.

Wouldn't surprise me given the luck of this franchise some days. Fans hound this team to take a local kid for once, and we finally do with the 6th overall, what looks like a great pick, and he ends up being a big fat &^@#ing flop. Unreal. 

Archived