The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need to get rid of rats in false ceiling and wall. Help!

Mathew Barzal

Had rats in the garage quite a few years ago.  Found the hole, and used spray foam, and that helped.  If you use spray foam, also remember to use some wire mesh, as I have heard that they will chew through the foam.

Bought some traps, but never caught any.

Cleaning up helps, in and outside the home.  Found their nest and chased them out (fast little buggers).  Also bought a sonic deterrent, a couple plug-in noisemakers.  Some say they don't do anything, but between all those efforts, the rats haven't come back.  If they have less places to hide, and you can limit their access to food and nesting material, chances are they go somewhere else.

Another thing I read about was to put used kitty litter around, since the smell of cat urine will make them think twice about setting up shop.  Seemed like a good idea, but in our case, it didn't work well, as our litter is corn-based rather than clay or silica.  :sick:

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Volunteer to "watch over" someone's cat.  

Aren't mice able to scent the presence of cats and thus will vacate the area?

I don't think rats once established would be deterred by the presence of a cat.  Vermin looking for a place to set up shop might not if a cat or two was initially present. If they are established in the walls and ceiling a boa snake would be the best choice to actually invade their turf and shake them up.  Snakes have a slow metabolism so it probably wouldn't go through many in quick order.   If it did work then you've got that old snake in the wall problem to deal with.

2 hours ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

I don't think rats once established would be deterred by the presence of a cat.  Vermin looking for a place to set up shop might not if a cat or two was initially present. If they are established in the walls and ceiling a boa snake would be the best choice to actually invade their turf and shake them up.  Snakes have a slow metabolism so it probably wouldn't go through many in quick order.   If it did work then you've got that old snake in the wall problem to deal with.

What type of rat was it. Did you see it ?  Was it a BIG RAT ? 

Did it look like this kind of a RAT  ?

brad-marchand-2013-32.jpg

Archived