The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

T2202A Tax questions (Tuition)

yawn.3x

Hi, I have a question as I'm really ignorant when it comes to taxes.

For University, I go during Sept-Dec and then Jan-April (attend UFV) and then Summers I work to pay off my tuition for the next semesters, but regardless: During the Sept-Dec semester I was only going part-time, and then for Jan-April I was going full time. On my T2202A tax form, It said that I was going to school for 1 month Full-Time, and 2 months Part-Time during a single semester and then 4 months full time for the next semester. So I have a couple of questions for the more Tax-orientated peoples (thank you in advance!)

1. I asked another friend of mine, and we both took the exact same semesters but for his, he got 4 months full time versus my 2 months part-time and 1 month full-time. Confused why that happened, so I guess question is why did that happen? (Or rather why he has a total of 4 months and I have a total of 3 months)

2. Because my T2202A states that I went for a total amount of 5 months full-time schooling in 2016, I'm not longer eligible for the "Working Income Tax Benefit" which requires a total of 4+ months (On the site, it says 13 weeks but my accountant says 13 weeks = the 4 months. For reference: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/wtb/fq_qlfyng-eng.html#q2), yet I was only a part-time student during Sept-Dec. (2 classes). I called my school, and they told me that since I was technically signed up for 3 total courses, I was considered full-time for 1 month, but I was only in 3 classes for the first week of school. (I only went to the very first class, and after dropped it) so is there a work around to this?

Thanks for the help in advance. Due to this whole ordeal, on my tax return I lost out on about $800 because of that 1 technicality so just wondering if theres some kind of work around to it because it seems a little silly to have to lose $800 because I took a class I never even paid to take for 1 week. However, if thats just how the cookie crumbles, then I guess life-lesson learned :P.

Thank you for reading guys!

Move to a more  civilized country like  Finland that truely  believes in equality.

Education in Finland is an education system with no tuition fees and with fully subsidised meals served to full-time students.

The present education system in Finland consists of daycare programmes (for babies and toddlers) and a one-year "pre-school" (or kindergarten for six-year-olds); a nine-year compulsory basic comprehensive school (starting at age seven and ending at the age of sixteen); post-compulsory secondary general academic and vocational education; higher education (University and University of applied sciences); and adult (lifelong, continuing) education. The Finnish strategy for achieving equality and excellence in education has been based on constructing a publicly funded comprehensive school system without selecting, tracking, or streaming students during their common basic education.[3] 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Move to a more  civilized country like  Finland that truely  believes in equality.

Education in Finland is an education system with no tuition fees and with fully subsidised meals served to full-time students.

The present education system in Finland consists of daycare programmes (for babies and toddlers) and a one-year "pre-school" (or kindergarten for six-year-olds); a nine-year compulsory basic comprehensive school (starting at age seven and ending at the age of sixteen); post-compulsory secondary general academic and vocational education; higher education (University and University of applied sciences); and adult (lifelong, continuing) education. The Finnish strategy for achieving equality and excellence in education has been based on constructing a publicly funded comprehensive school system without selecting, tracking, or streaming students during their common basic education.[3] 

Yes Finland is such a top notch country... How many people live there? 5.5 million? :lol: there GDP is smaller then B.C's.

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yes Finland is such a top notch country... How many people live there? 5.5 million? :lol: there GDP is smaller then B.C's.

Sounds fantastic.  I prefer the BC pre expo 86 myself.  Vancouver was such a liveable city before Expo 86  came and the aftermath of insane over development  / home price inflation.

On 3/4/2017 at 0:14 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

You may be able to roll this over into next year's return, yawn. Do yourself a favor and take it to a professional. It costs money, but in the long run, you'll save by not making mistakes and missing out on deductions.

I did take it to a professional but he said there was nothing he could do, and my school either. TBH its only $800 which would be SO nice to have, but at the same time I don't want to risk pissing my university off and getting expelled or something. I'll just suck it up as a life lesson. For everybody else!

BE CAREFUL WHEN SIGNING UP FOR COURSES!!!!!!!

If you're like me and have to pay tuition, car payments, insurance, and everything else while working be careful with your course sign ups! If you stay signed up for more then 15 days with 3+ courses when classes start (for example every university has a specific date that CLASSES START. For my school, it was September 6th) then make sure you drop them ASAP if you plan to go part-time, otherwise you risk losing that $800ish. Future warning for all the students out there! (but remember if you go for 4+ months of full time schooling, you won't make the cut.)

Personally what I'm going to start doing is part-time in September to get the $1800 grant from the Government, then Full-time for winter, and maybe part-time for summer again. With my current income, it ends up being $1100 - $1300 in tax money back +$1800 which pays for a hefty chunk of my tuition. I highly recommend at least going part-time for at least one semester to get the part-time studies grant. It's easy to fill out.

Archived