The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Detroit Red Wings

-Vintage Canuck-

Nice game from the boys 

Markstrom should have had a shutout.  He has a hard time staying away from the softie.  Nice shot by Mantha but he shouldn’t be scoring from that angle with no traffic at this level. 

Pouliot was more noticeable in both good and bad ways.  A couple real bad turnovers.  He recovered to his benefit, and had some nice movement on the pp.  Really hope this kid pans out.  

Virtanens best game of the season.  Hopefully he can build off it. 

Dorsett doing dorsett things.  

Gudbranson.. yet another game that I’m very pleased with the elements he brings.  He’s finding ways to slam a couple good point shots on net per game.  Matter of time before he gets rewarded on the score sheet.  

Tanev is lookng elite.  Such a good player. 

Boeser was.. ok. Hopefully Mini brings his A game out.  

Horvat and Baertschi have been looking progressively stronger on puck battles.  Starting to pay off.  Nice to see them getting some good zone time.  

Wtf happened to Daniel Sedins shot?  It looks like Henriks muffin lately.  My 10 year old gets more velocity...

Good team discipline, good puck retrieval, good pressure, pinch and cover.  The system is working... for now.  

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Saying that we're trending well is going overboard and getting carried away? 

What you did was mention everything that the last coach started off with and yet we still managed to c--p all over him. I don't want to see Green go the same way. It is not a trend to lose 3 out of 8 and neither should it be, we should give this coach the full 3-4 seasons without expecting much at all in the first 2-3. This is a long haul and requires patience not judgements, good or bad imo - of course I know that is not likely to happen.

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

What you did was mention everything that the last coach started off with and yet we still managed to c--p all over him. I don't want to see Green go the same way. It is not a trend to lose 3 out of 8 and neither should it be, we should give this coach the full 3-4 seasons without expecting much at all in the first 2-3. This is a long haul and requires patience not judgements, good or bad imo - of course I know that is not likely to happen.

That was the downfall of WD.  I don't think he was given the same freedom that Green has now.  I often stated to you that if WD was put in a position like Babcock (just focus on developing, and don't worry about playoffs) he might have been a better coach.  WD would put in a tough position, place on him by the high expectations mgmt gave to the fans. 

6 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I guess this is where we disagree. WD showed favourites right away, even when they weren't playing well. He also didn't show that he can work closely with players. There were certainly high hopes for him when he started, as there is with a new coach, but he very quickly showed he would get out coached and was out of his depth. So far Green looks good and is trending in a very good direction. 

Having said this, you quickly assumed a lot with my comment that I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm a skeptic, so staying well-grounded and not getting ahead of myself is a quality I certainly have. But I am also someone who recognizes good qualities and won't shy away from expressing positive notes that I believe are worth mentioning. Lastly, I am also someone who is without ego and has no problem changing my opinion if someone, like Green, proves otherwise at some point. 

Green, imo, is trending very well. If he begins to have a quick downward trend like WD, I will have no issues with expressing so. 

18 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That was the downfall of WD.  I don't think he was given the same freedom that Green has now.  I often stated to you that if WD was put in a position like Babcock (just focus on developing, and don't worry about playoffs) he might have been a better coach.  WD would put in a tough position, place on him by the high expectations mgmt gave to the fans. 

Agreed but it seems to me that our fans are either pre celebrating a cup or cr-pping all over the team, coach, GM etc. It's not good for the team in general, it encourages the rancid media to rack up the toxic atmosphere at the first sign of a setback and in the end it doesn't do anyone any good.

We need to just get behind the team, coach and management without ramping up these exaggerated expectations. I am always an optimist and try to see the upside of our varying situations, win or lose but I appreciate that we will not become a playoff team overnight. I am enjoying the hockey though and the type of game Green has them playing. It is a fast and the players seem to have all bought into the hard graft ethic which seems to be catching a few teams out.

12 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I guess this is where we disagree. WD showed favourites right away, even when they weren't playing well. He also didn't show that he can work closely with players. There were certainly high hopes for him when he started, as there is with a new coach, but he very quickly showed he would get out coached and was out of his depth. So far Green looks good and is trending in a very good direction. 

Having said this, you quickly assumed a lot with my comment that I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm a skeptic, so staying well-grounded and not getting ahead of myself is a quality I certainly have. But I am also someone who recognizes good qualities and won't shy away from expressing positive notes that I believe are worth mentioning. Lastly, I am also someone who is without ego and has no problem changing my opinion if someone, like Green, proves otherwise at some point. 

Green, imo, is trending very well. If he begins to have a quick downward trend like WD, I will have no issues with expressing so. 

What is seen by people like you as favourites was recognised by many who understand the game as a dire lack of choice. That was clearly borne out by WD's first season where despite crippling amounts of injuries, the team reached the playoffs against all expectations and at one point Desjardins was being mentioned for coach of the year.

Fast forward to the next season where the team was deprived of a few vets and replaced with AHLers and boys who were either out of college or hadn't even played a pro game. Would any coach have done well in that situation, I doubt it and I haven't even mentioned ALL the injuries.

If Green "downward trends" as you put it, why not show some knowledge of the game and his situation and just lay off him and give him time to get it right. We can't just keep changing the coach every time people like you get bored or fail to understand our situation in the context of a rebuild.

On 10/23/2017 at 8:18 AM, Darius71 said:

I ripped this off from the province incase you guys did not see it.  It will give you a good laugh

When asked what Hank was saying Jake said "“Henrik was asking me if it always takes 12 shots for me to  score.”

jv-making-henrik-laugh.gif?w=643&h=360

This is great they can joke around on the bench. Knowing they don't have be doing 20-24 minutes a night anymore. > 'does it always take you 12 shots?

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

What is seen by people like you as favourites was recognised by many who understand the game as a dire lack of choice. That was clearly borne out by WD's first season where despite crippling amounts of injuries, the team reached the playoffs against all expectations and at one point Desjardins was being mentioned for coach of the year.

Fast forward to the next season where the team was deprived of a few vets and replaced with AHLers and boys who were either out of college or hadn't even played a pro game. Would any coach have done well in that situation, I doubt it and I haven't even mentioned ALL the injuries.

If Green "downward trends" as you put it, why not show some knowledge of the game and his situation and just lay off him and give him time to get it right. We can't just keep changing the coach every time people like you get bored or fail to understand our situation in the context of a rebuild.

So what you're saying is: 1) I don't understand the game of hockey; 2) WD didn't play favourites; 3) injuries and rookies cost WD his job; and 4) I would have a snap judgment on Green if he begins to trend the opposite of how he currently is,  and I would be hard on him and want him replaced because (back to your first point) I don't understand the game and process of a rebuild. 

Does this sum up your post correctly? 

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

So what you're saying is: 1) I don't understand the game of hockey; 2) WD didn't play favourites; 3) injuries and rookies cost WD his job; and 4) I would have a snap judgment on Green if he begins to trend the opposite of how he currently is,  and I would be hard on him and want him replaced because (back to your first point) I don't understand the game and process of a rebuild. 

Does this sum up your post correctly? 

I could not have put it better myself - oh wait...........:lol:

Archived