The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-PIT

To PIT: Sam Gagner, Thomas Vanek

To VAN: Riley Sheahan, 1st Round (2018)

Why PIT: The Pens are not too far from a Playoff spot. But they need better depth in both centre and wing. Sheahan isn't meeting scoring expectations (they really miss Bonino) and Gagner would be an offensive upgrade for them. Vanek would also provide an upgrade to their wing and would look deadly getting passes from either Crosby or Malkin. 

Why not PIT: Gagner's contract length might concern them. Also, in a deep draft, maybe they'd find it better to keep a first rounder, lottery or not. Or they may think a first is too much (see Vanek trade history). In that case, a second or third may suit them.

Why VAN: Rebuild reasons. Sheahan's contract expires this year and would be a decent centre for the rest of the year. But, we add a first round pick. To note, with how deadly the Metro is currently, and how badly the Pens want to three-peat, the pick could potentially turn into a lottery pick.

Why not VAN: Gagner and Vanek have been good with Boeser, and may provide support for his Calder run.

I agree with you that the Pens miss Bonino, he was a good matchup center for them. The problem with your proposal is Gagner is just not that type of player. A player like Sutter is what they need but with Sutter making 4.375M for the next three years after this one I am not sure they can fit a contract this size without some retention on the Canucks part. I don't think the Canucks should be trading Sutter either, the Canucks need him in the lineup and he won't fetch too much in a trade due to his contract. I don't see a fit here between these two teams.  

7 hours ago, DragonSlayer14 said:

To PIT: Sam Gagner, Thomas Vanek

To VAN: Riley Sheahan, 1st Round (2018)

Why PIT: The Pens are not too far from a Playoff spot. But they need better depth in both centre and wing. Sheahan isn't meeting scoring expectations (they really miss Bonino) and Gagner would be an offensive upgrade for them. Vanek would also provide an upgrade to their wing and would look deadly getting passes from either Crosby or Malkin. 

Why not PIT: Gagner's contract length might concern them. Also, in a deep draft, maybe they'd find it better to keep a first rounder, lottery or not. Or they may think a first is too much (see Vanek trade history). In that case, a second or third may suit them.

Why VAN: Rebuild reasons. Sheahan's contract expires this year and would be a decent centre for the rest of the year. But, we add a first round pick. To note, with how deadly the Metro is currently, and how badly the Pens want to three-peat, the pick could potentially turn into a lottery pick.

Why not VAN: Gagner and Vanek have been good with Boeser, and may provide support for his Calder run.

Pittsburgh need greasy forwards to compliment their 3 stars. Not talented lazy past stars who don't always show up every game. 

If I were Rutherford, the player I would be targeting hard is Henrik Zetterberg. He can play center, and with his minutes limited can still be very effective. There are a few signs pointing to this being a possibility, such as the recent trade between the GMs, and Zetterberg hinting that he might retire (either at end of this year, or next). Pittsburgh is really close to home (4.5 hour drive) for Henrik. Will there be a better situation for him to try for one last cup run?

How can Pittsburgh afford it? Easy - Zetterberg with 50% retention, with Connor Sheary + futures as the return, and it is almost a cap-neutral deal. Would have to be some solid futures though.

Archived