The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Great 16 year old BCJHL

wildcam

This young 16 year old is second in scoring in the BCJHL playing for Victoria Grizzlies..

This young guy named Alex Newhook is 5'11, 190lbs from St.John's NL. First year out west..

Tis young guy has amazing skills with the puck, playing with much older players and he's avg 1.47 PPG..

If you get a chance go watch him play as he won't be around here very long..He will be a high pick in his draft year

in 2019...

Just now, diesel_3 said:

I coach Junior B on the island, have heard about Newhook, one of our players is finishing the season with the Grizzlies once we are done!

Good for you, I like the Jr B league on Vancouver Island, watched great games between Vic Cougars, CR Storm and Nanaimo.. You will really like the way Newhook plays the game with great vision and anticipation.. 

He is only 16 with that talent 1.45 PPG is crazy for this in a very good BCJHL 2nd in league points..

28 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Good for you, I like the Jr B league on Vancouver Island, watched great games between Vic Cougars, CR Storm and Nanaimo.. You will really like the way Newhook plays the game with great vision and anticipation.. 

He is only 16 with that talent 1.45 PPG is crazy for this in a very good BCJHL 2nd in league points..

Ya, it's a good league.

I came in part way through this season and we are going to have one of the league's worst ever seasons, so that isn't too much fun to be a part of, but we are trying to recruit hard for next year!

19 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Ya, it's a good league.

I came in part way through this season and we are going to have one of the league's worst ever seasons, so that isn't too much fun to be a part of, but we are trying to recruit hard for next year!

I bet your coaching the Comox Glacier Kings...They use to have a average programs in middle of the pack with the Webbs as owners...Really like CR storm program there recruiting all over B.C and they have been a top team in league the last 5 years..Be patient and you need to have owner backing your program..This takes 2-3 years to start big turn around and owner that wants to spend money..

I am one for going to schools and giving free tickets to young kids like 6-8 year olds, they will need to bring parents with them..Need to show off your product and fill seats...This will get people back to the rink.

Get down and watch some Royals and Grizzlies games, both are very good teams  

Ya, I am.

We inherited a team that had 0 structure, we have had 7 players just quit...stop showing up...because they didn't like to be corrected on positioning. The Webb's still own, they are in their 25th year of ownership. We knew this year was going to be tough, figured we would win a few more games then we have but it's been a struggle.

Campbell River is a power house, Lee Stone who is their head coach has a lot of contacts and seems to have his hands in all the academies (Who regularly pump out solid junior hockey players). I'm trying to recruit kids from Northern BC which I feel is a fairly untapped market that doesn't exactly get the exposure that the lower mainland has. We played CR Friday night, we had 12 skaters...It wasn't a fun game haha.

We are already putting plans in motion for next year, we want a real program that players will want to come and develop.

6 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Ya, I am.

We inherited a team that had 0 structure, we have had 7 players just quit...stop showing up...because they didn't like to be corrected on positioning. The Webb's still own, they are in their 25th year of ownership. We knew this year was going to be tough, figured we would win a few more games then we have but it's been a struggle.

Campbell River is a power house, Lee Stone who is their head coach has a lot of contacts and seems to have his hands in all the academies (Who regularly pump out solid junior hockey players). I'm trying to recruit kids from Northern BC which I feel is a fairly untapped market that doesn't exactly get the exposure that the lower mainland has. We played CR Friday night, we had 12 skaters...It wasn't a fun game haha.

We are already putting plans in motion for next year, we want a real program that players will want to come and develop.

You will have a good program in place once you have made contacts in western Canada.. It takes time to

get things together.. Keep positive and keep reminding Webbs this rebuild will take time 2-3 years to get talent pipe line...

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2018 at 11:45 AM, diesel_3 said:

Ya, I am.

Is there a link we can pass on?To get the word out for possible tryouts. 

58 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Is there a link we can pass on?To get the word out for possible tryouts. 

Not exactly a link for registration, but camp information is here:

http://glacierkings.vijhl.com/leagues/custom_page.cfm?leagueID=17157&clientID=4867&pageID=14385

The website is pretty bad, it's the generic one the league provides for teams, I believe only 1 or 2 actually host their own.

No 'click to register' hyperlinks on the website, emails to register should be directed to glacierkings@shaw.ca (Lots of time still to register for main camp in the summer)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-01-21 at 11:45 AM, diesel_3 said:

Ya, I am.

go to Native hockey tournaments in merritt and williams lake scout house those natives r as skilled as anybody. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived