The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van & Fla swap Dmen

I'm sorry but we just can't sign Gudbranson for what he'll want and truthfully I hope we don't.  Hopefully Florida still covets him and we can swap 

To Fla

Gudbranson

To Van

Petrovic

3rd or 4th rounder (this year or next)

Why?  Well I'm not certain there's any singular skill or trait Gudbranson brings on the ice.  Skates well but too often out of position.  Zero offense.  Zero PP.  Decent on PK.  Pins guys but doesn't staple guys.  Will get +$4.5M per for 3-5 years or so?

Now Petrovic.  Zero offense.  3rd pairing guy.  Zero PP and comparable on the PK.  Also big bodied right shooting guy.  But, Petrovic IS Physical.  He hits and fights.  At least he excels in a category, one needed in this city. The kicker though, he's making $1.85M or so this year.  Give him a raise, 2X $2M per and see how it goes.

Gudbranson carries the sexier name so hopefully we can cash in with a draft pick also.

I just can't see us locking in with Gudbranson.  His play just isn't there.  Bring in big 6'4 Edmonton boy to clean up when needed and free up some cash and term here.

Thoughts?

Do you know what Gudbranson wants?

I'm of the camp that hopes they re-sign him. He played a good, physical game last night against CHI. He says the right things. How often have we said there aren't any Canucks stepping up and protecting the younger guys. When Boeser got boarded, no one blinked. Gudbranson was upset over this, and said he would've jumped in. Why trade a guy like that? 

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

When the Canucks traded for Gudbranson, the first thing I thought was "Man, that is a sexy name."

Gudbranson doesn't hit or fight? Hmmmm. Tell Matt Martin, Zack Kassian, and Tom Wilson that.

Okay he's fought a few times granted.  IMO that's not worth the $ and term he'll want or receive as a UFA.  He just doesn't excel anywhere else on the ice.  Petrovic who I targeted in this proposal actively seeks out physical play.  Other than being physical I doubt Petrovic excels anywhere else on the ice. The reason we do this is to have a similar type player (big bodied, 3rd pairing, right shooting Dman) and 1/2 price and most likely less demanding term.  

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Do you know what Gudbranson wants?

I'm of the camp that hopes they re-sign him. He played a good, physical game last night against CHI. He says the right things. How often have we said there aren't any Canucks stepping up and protecting the younger guys. When Boeser got boarded, no one blinked. Gudbranson was upset over this, and said he would've jumped in. Why trade a guy like that? 

I think Gudbranson played well in the physical department last night but still out of position too often.  His defensive net presence isn't good enough IMO.  I know it was his first game back after missing a few but like usual, left me wanting more.

Why trade a guy like that?  You're right.  I want that type of player also.  I think Petrovic is more of this player we want.  Physical, responsive, iniates, pushes back, etc.  And why I proposed this offer is because I think he can get him at 1/2 cost and term of Gudbranson.  I'm not 100% certain of what Gudbranson wants but sounds like it'll be in the 4-5 years at $18-$25 Million.  If these guys on radio are right, we just can't do that.

However if Gudbranson could be had at his $3.5 x 3 years then I could be maybe ????  Nah.  I'd rather have a Tanner Glass playing 6 minutes on 4th line LW for $800K and move Granlund out for draft pick to open a spot.

Can't give Gudbranson that money, he's simply not good enough.  My opinion

I have an appreciation for Gudbransons willingness to drop the gloves. He doesn't so it a lot but he picks good moments for it.

That said he isn't close to deserving of a 4 or 5 million per contract. I struggle at the idea of him getting 3.

He should be making 2.5 at the tops in my opinion. He is a decent bottom pairing defensemen that will drop the gloves a couple times a year. He's ok in his own zone and is terrible in the offensive zone.

Archived