The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it just me or are the Canucks bound to be the NHL's next Dynasty?

apollo

18 hours ago, Xanlet said:

I wouldn't bet against the NHL & OBC. I remember how in the Chicago series in 2011 Mike Gillis literally had to come out and say the reffing wasn't producing an even playing field when they were pushing for a longer series. Then there was the SJ series in 2013 where Ray Ferraro mentioned on air that every single 50 - 50 call in the series had gone against Van. Not to mention the infamous D. Sedin kicked in goal ruling that directly contradicted the DVD addendum the NHL had just sent out to clarify the rule, something that even Don Cherry didn't want to comment on because it was so blatantly going against the rule just to deny Van a goal in a close game. (Don Cherry part starts about half way through)

Pitt and Chi winning cups helped stave off legitimate bankruptcy risks, Van does not have such a risk and will therefore never have a business incentive to win the cup in the eyes of the league, and, according to Kerry Fraser, longest serving NHL ref in history, the league in all likelihood influences which teams are successful through disciplinary decisions: https://web.archive.org/web/20150325145840/http://www.tsn.ca/c-mon-ref-the-lowdown-on-toffoli-1.239220

So maybe Aquaman can start whining about had attendance and plummeting stock and make waves about possibly selling or even relocation to Seattle?  Just kidding.  That's Melnyk.  

Vancouver doomed to have to poor mes forever....until 2020.   Nice to see Creeds back to his former glory.  And this dynasty will be a real three plus event in subsequent years, obliterating all the wrongs done over the years and the Habs run of five in a row in the 50s ( yes easier to do back then too).

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

EP, BB, Bo, OJ, Demko

All elite, or close to elite, prospects at every position, and a couple great handfuls of gritty complimentary players in Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, etc.; however, as many have pointed out, we need a legit #1 dman still. 

Of course, there are lots of question marks still, but I do think it isn't out of the realm of possibility that we have something special in the making. 

One more draft, my friend, and they will have that #1 D.

On 2/6/2018 at 4:29 PM, apollo said:

You guys are gonna get quoted A LOT saying this on the first page and get some bad heckling come 2021... 

Hydrations for all! :lol:

Ah no.... you don't get to do that.

Your optimism is nice but you predict we'll win all the time. A blind squirril may get a nut but you don;t get to brag about it when you didn't every other time. 

We're not poised for anything besides top of the bottom or bottom of the top at best anyways. 

6 hours ago, appleboy said:

I think we are a few years a way from being competitive let alone a dynasty. Next year we will be at the very bottom of the league. To think that the kids are going to be ready is just not reasonable.

It's possible, if the Sedins retire and guys are promoted and can't fill their shoes.  OR they do a better job, the teams healthy most of the year, some guys take a leap/figure it out...and we make he playoffs ( hee hee).

Most games we are in, it's not like the mid eightees NJ squad getting waxed 13-4....or the WSH capitals when they joined.  It's truly hard to predict.  If Pettersson comes as advertised that could be 60-70 points, enough to turn a lot of those Ls into Ws.   Of course he could spend the entire year in the AHL too.   If Demko becomes our backup and wins the job over Markstrom there's even a better chance...

A lot of its and maybes.  My biggest hope is we kill it in the draft again this year, and the same the following year...then it's actually a possibility, not a for sure thing no doubt, that Appolo will get his dream.  And so will we all.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

It's possible, if the Sedins retire and guys are promoted and can't fill their shoes.  OR they do a better job, the teams healthy most of the year, some guys take a leap/figure it out...and we make he playoffs ( hee hee).

Most games we are in, it's not like the mid eightees NJ squad getting waxed 13-4....or the WSH capitals when they joined.  It's truly hard to predict.  If Pettersson comes as advertised that could be 60-70 points, enough to turn a lot of those Ls into Ws.   Of course he could spend the entire year in the AHL too.   If Demko becomes our backup and wins the job over Markstrom there's even a better chance...

A lot of its and maybes.  My biggest hope is we kill it in the draft again this year, and the same the following year...then it's actually a possibility, not a for sure thing no doubt, that Appolo will get his dream.  And so will we all.

This is the age of parity, where drafting is truly king. No other way to gain a competitive advantage over rivals.  FA is high risk now and mistakes are costly to the on ice product not just the owners wallets.  The owner with the biggest wallet won more often than not in the nineties. 

Where it gets even harder is the lottery. Ironically this change was because Edmonton was too ‘good’ at getting the first overall ;)  

This is the era of the draft. Even for those guys that aren’t superstar players, but solid core guys that play on RFA or entry level deals. 

Finding a guy like Boeser at 23 in the draft is what a future dynasty does, that’s the move that seals a future.  

33 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

This is the age of parity, where drafting is truly king. No other way to gain a competitive advantage over rivals.  FA is high risk now and mistakes are costly to the on ice product not just the owners wallets.  The owner with the biggest wallet won more often than not in the nineties. 

Where it gets even harder is the lottery. Ironically this change was because Edmonton was too ‘good’ at getting the first overall ;)  

This is the era of the draft. Even for those guys that aren’t superstar players, but solid core guys that play on RFA or entry level deals. 

Finding a guy like Boeser at 23 in the draft is what a future dynasty does, that’s the move that seals a future.  

Speaking of wallets late ninetees early 2000s NYR is blowing you rasberries (Lindros, Jagr, Bure for a few games, Fluery...heck pretty much anyone who once was somebody played there for double or triple what they'd be paid today if all things were even) but couldn't win anything.  Some of those rosters would even make Detroit 2002 blush, who's got the crown for buying a cup, the cap has finally caught up to Ilitchs bonanza.

I agree that drafting is the most important thing now, ELCs help keep costs down, second contracts are more expensive than they used to be and UFAs come with a blue chip premium.

You may be a little surprised at the teams that won the cup really didn't have much to do with big spending though....I was too until I came across an article about the free market not been as bad as we've been conditioned to believe thanks to the league and their cost certainty blah blah blah.  Gone are the days of dynasties and rivalries ( going from 21-31 teams makes bad blood harder to create)

The other two Detroit cups were middle of the pack spenders, same with COL and NJ so paying big didn't mean you were going to win the cup.  Those teams won the cup seven out of eight years and only one of them was a top spender.   The article went on to suggest the golden age of hockey has come and gone, parity and vanilla might be good for business as anyone can jump twenty points in the standings (or drop) which could mean the difference between last and first place in your division.  When an eighth seed can win a cup and then another anythings possible...

Sometimes I pine for the free market.  Sure watched some amazing teams .... Imagine what the NYR would look like right now if it still was trying to buy a cup?  And the payroll would likely be 150 million by now.

^^^I seem to remember one cup final when NYR blew us all raspberries and had a roster at roughly twice the price that of the Canucks in 1994. 

The rest of the cup winning teams were at the higher end of the middle for some time. NJ being the exception. 

Either way, can’t buy a cup now, one good part of the cap era.  

Archived