The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) TOR-VAN

20 hours ago, appleboy said:

Tanev is worth Liljegren and a first on his own.

20 hours ago, Wiznac said:

Agreed. Adding guddy only gets a 2nd and maybe a B prospect taking the Martin contract should bump it up to a better prospect. But I guess by trading both we need a roster player back 

Tanev is not worth Liljegren and a 1st. That's two first round picks. Dougie Hamilton and Travis Hamonic both went for a first round pick and two second rounders. Tanev at his highest valuation possible is worth that. He is likely valued at a first and second round pick. 

Tanev for Liljegren and a 2nd

or

Tanev for Dermott and a 1st

IMO I would be happy if we got Liljegren straight across. We need more defensemen that can skate and move the puck up ice. Defensemen that can facilitate the offense.

31 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Tanev is not worth Liljegren and a 1st. That's two first round picks. Dougie Hamilton and Travis Hamonic both went for a first round pick and two second rounders. Tanev at his highest valuation possible is worth that. He is likely valued at a first and second round pick. 

Tanev for Liljegren and a 2nd

or

Tanev for Dermott and a 1st

IMO I would be happy if we got Liljegren straight across. We need more defensemen that can skate and move the puck up ice. Defensemen that can facilitate the offense.

I think it would depend on how high the first is. I would want a solid return or he stays. 

I really like TO as a trade partner. We match up well as far as respective needs are concerned.

My opinion in needs, however, differs from yours.

Listening to Bob Mackenzie on today's "Bobcast", B-Mac brought forth the possibility of Toronto's defense taking on a win by committee strategy. This is exactly the defensive strategy I want Vancouver to adopt. Look after your own end first and worry about the offense after. This is why, in other threads, I've suggested trading for a defender like Sam Morin, and drafting prospects like Bode Wilde, Jared McIsaac, and K'Andre Miller. None are going to be elite but all should develop into very solid, physical defenders and, all of whom should be able to produce between 15 to 30 pnts. I want our future dcore to make any opposition regretful of touching the puck. I don't care what anyone says, intimidation is a huge factor in hockey. Just ask the 2011 Vancouver Canucks. Unfortunately, this scheme would not allow for Liljgren. He is not known to be defensively strong and has very little to offer in physicality.

This scheme also dictates that it is Tanev who becomes expendable and makes re-signing Guddy as our blueline vet moving forward more logical as it's a defense, in which he'd be right at home with.

With that said:

Chris Tanev and Brandon Sutter to TO for Matt Martin, Kerby Rychel, 2018 1st rounder, 2018 2nd.

That's right. Another proposal in which I ask for Rychel as part of the return. This is because I, truly, see a great fit with Horvat and Boeser. He is the real complimentary piece that line needs to put them in the elite category. 

Is this sounding like a bit much to put on a player who can't crack TO's lineup?

Perhaps. But, it is my contention that he improperly utilized in Columbus and, unfortunately for him, got lost behind a slew of high octane players in Toronto. 

With Vancouver, he gets the opportunity he's been waiting for. With Bo and Brock, Kerby's play is elevated enough for him to be effective. He also provides the old-school bad attitude this team, desperately needs. He also falls into the age range that makes him a long-term solution. This also affords us the flexibility to move Baertschi to a line with Pettersson and, possibly LInd.

We also get a depth forward in Martin who further adds to our need for toughness and comes with an affordable contract.

The first rounder gets me the third of my three wants in the upcoming draft in Miller and the second gives us pick depth.

Toronto gets two pieces they need with payroll certainty moving forward, which is as important as the players themselves. Both also offer upgrades to their current roster. Sutter and Bozak are very similar but Sutter is more reliable as a third line center and is younger. It also allows TO to make another deal for Bozak to regain one of the lost picks. Tanev is another top four defender they want on their blueline. In the playoffs, his defensive abilities and talent for blocking shots will shine and will play an important part in any success they have.

This deal makes both teams better. 

I really like TO as a trade partner. We match up well as far as respective needs are concerned.

My opinion in needs, however, differs from yours.

Listening to Bob Mackenzie on today's "Bobcast", B-Mac brought forth the possibility of Toronto's defense taking on a win by committee strategy. This is exactly the defensive strategy I want Vancouver to adopt. Look after your own end first and worry about the offense after. This is why, in other threads, I've suggested trading for a defender like Sam Morin, and drafting prospects like Bode Wilde, Jared McIsaac, and K'Andre Miller. None are going to be elite but all should develop into very solid, physical defenders and, all of whom should be able to produce between 15 to 30 pnts. I want our future dcore to make any opposition regretful of touching the puck. I don't care what anyone says, intimidation is a huge factor in hockey. Just ask the 2011 Vancouver Canucks. Unfortunately, this scheme would not allow for Liljgren. He is not known to be defensively strong and has very little to offer in physicality.

This scheme also dictates that it is Tanev who becomes expendable and makes re-signing Guddy as our blueline vet moving forward more logical as it's a defense, in which he'd be right at home with.

With that said:

Chris Tanev and Brandon Sutter to TO for Matt Martin, Kerby Rychel, 2018 1st rounder, 2018 2nd.

That's right. Another proposal in which I ask for Rychel as part of the return. This is because I, truly, see a great fit with Horvat and Boeser. He is the real complimentary piece that line needs to put them in the elite category. 

Is this sounding like a bit much to put on a player who can't crack TO's lineup?

Perhaps. But, it is my contention that he improperly utilized in Columbus and, unfortunately for him, got lost behind a slew of high octane players in Toronto. 

With Vancouver, he gets the opportunity he's been waiting for. With Bo and Brock, Kerby's play is elevated enough for him to be effective. He also provides the old-school bad attitude this team, desperately needs. He also falls into the age range that makes him a long-term solution. This also affords us the flexibility to move Baertschi to a line with Pettersson and, possibly LInd.

We also get a depth forward in Martin who further adds to our need for toughness and comes with an affordable contract.

The first rounder gets me the third of my three wants in the upcoming draft in Miller and the second gives us pick depth.

Toronto gets two pieces they need with payroll certainty moving forward, which is as important as the players themselves. Both also offer upgrades to their current roster. Sutter and Bozak are very similar but Sutter is more reliable as a third line center and is younger. It also allows TO to make another deal for Bozak to regain one of the lost picks. Tanev is another top four defender they want on their blueline. In the playoffs, his defensive abilities and talent for blocking shots will shine and will play an important part in any success they have.

This deal makes both teams better. 

Archived