The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) TOR-VAN

Yes another tanev proposal ok got it. Let’s move on

elliotte friedman was on the radio this afternoon and they were mammering about over tanev to tor and if it’s feasible or at least does it have any legs. Point being he didn’t really want to say yay or nay because he’s not sure the canucks have really looked at departing with him BUT they did think of what the return could be...

tor is looking to unload martins contract possibly even retain some salary cause they’re gonna have to shell out 20-25m in cap to Matthews, Nylander and marner in the next year or so and are at 50 contracts and would like to unload some as they near the deadline

to tor: tanev

to van: liljegren, leivo, Martin 

that was the deal the hosts on AM 650 came up with and I thought I’d share. 

Liljegren would fill a need as a RHD prospect, we FINALLY got someone to push back when, for example, boeser gets hit from behind, and leivo who is a guy who could fly or falter 

Assuming vanek gets dealt as well for a pick

Sedin-sedin-eriksson

baertschi-Horvat-boeser

granlund-Sutter-leivo

martin-Dowd-gagner

gaunce

send virtanen to minors to get some playing time and his confidence back 

It's not about Tanev, just as a player/asset. Also have to consider how greatly he improves the performance of whichever partner he's with. It's almost like pairing a young player-coach with the lefty..the guy settles down the whole team.

So why not add a conditional pick, based upon Leafs performance, this spring? Include the point that Tanev must take part in at least (say 66%) of their PO games.

eg: Tanev

Lillegren

Martin

Leivo

2018 2nd(TO or SJ pick?..say better one); if TO can't win division(that is, win 2 rounds), change it to 2018 3rd(again SJ pick)

edit: make it a 2018 1st if they won the Cup!

Honestly, I'd do Tanev for Liljegren straight. I know that's unfair to us, but I want a guy like Liljegren that bad. With him, and a top pick this year, we will have 3 star dmen for years to come. So if we get Liljegren and anything else, i consider that a win.

8 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

I wouldn’t mind him , he can actually kee other teams in check 

Not sure if this was meant to be "keep" or "knee".  These days, apparently both are possible.

As far as the proposal goes, I actually think that's pretty fair for both teams - depending on whether there is enough information to indicate whether or not Liljegren is likely to hit his ceiling.  Tanev is elite in the abilities he DOES have, and that's hard to find, and to the right team he's perhaps our biggest tradeable asset.  So if we do so, we better be sure we are getting the return we need.

10 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

I really don't think the Canucks would want Matt Martin since everything he did to them and probably the team has said some bad stuff to him.

What did Martin do to the Canucks? He got into a fight with Gudbranson a while back, but these guys are professionals. Besides, Guddy might be out of there too.

I like this deal. Tanev, who's getting injured more and more as his career goes on, for Liljegren (the skilled D prospect some of us wanted in the draft), Leivo (who may not even stick around), and tough guy Martin. Perfect for the Pacific. He'd be looking out for Brock.

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What did Martin do to the Canucks? He got into a fight with Gudbranson a while back, but these guys are professionals. Besides, Guddy might be out of there too.

I like this deal. Tanev, who's getting injured more and more as his career goes on, for Liljegren (the skilled D prospect some of us wanted in the draft), Leivo (who may not even stick around), and tough guy Martin. Perfect for the Pacific. He'd be looking out for Brock.

Probably referring to this:

If I remember correctly, Guddy & Martin fought because of this incident.

Mike Babcock gave an interesting answer yesterday and I wonder about their interest in Tanev or Gudbranson.  McKenzie also linked Barrie to the Leafs and they apparently have been scouting each other.

He was asked what is so different about the Predators' style that they can generate offence from the back end.  He answered "It's called being better.  It's not different.  They are just better".  

It's an interesting answer because the Predators don't believe in defensive Ds.  They think that the best way to defend is to push for offence.  They have one of the highest scoring D-corps in the league with Minnesota and Vegas.  

They say the game is a 5-men unit in all zones and the Ds cannot just pass the puck up to the forwards.  They explained that teams are defending at 5 so attacking with only the Fs is putting themselves shorthanded.  Their Ds are an integral part of the attack and have to be able to cycle with the Fs to maintain possession in the o-zone and generate offence.  They say that if they play more than 50% in the other team's end they'll win most of their games.

57 minutes ago, mll said:

Mike Babcock gave an interesting answer yesterday and I wonder about their interest in Tanev or Gudbranson.  McKenzie also linked Barrie to the Leafs and they apparently have been scouting each other.

He was asked what is so different about the Predators' style that they can generate offence from the back end.  He answered "It's called being better.  It's not different.  They are just better".  

It's an interesting answer because the Predators don't believe in defensive Ds.  They think that the best way to defend is to push for offence.  They have one of the highest scoring D-corps in the league with Minnesota and Vegas.  

They say the game is a 5-men unit in all zones and the Ds cannot just pass the puck up to the forwards.  They explained that teams are defending at 5 so attacking with only the Fs is putting themselves shorthanded.  Their Ds are an integral part of the attack and have to be able to cycle with the Fs to maintain possession in the o-zone and generate offence.  They say that if they play more than 50% in the other team's end they'll win most of their games.

I agree with you, even their recent draft picks and signings reflect that approach. They are building a D-core full of guys who can skate to get out of trouble and move the puck quickly. I am not surprised they want Barrie, he is just the kind of player that would fit their system well.

12 hours ago, mll said:

They say that if they play more than 50% in the other team's end they'll win most of their games.

Pretty sound logic there, I'd say. 

With the league in general moving to a quicker and more skilled game, it makes sense the entire roster would likely follow suit.  This doesn't mean that defensive defencemen can't be quick, but if they skilled as well with the puck, then they are generally guys who have an element of scoring ability.

Stecher seems to be the exception to that rule. :)

30 minutes ago, Wiznac said:

Just read in a article that the leafs might be interested in Vanek. If they wanted both I wonder if Lindgren and a 1st is possible 

How about a Tanev and Vanek, 4th for Liljegren, 1st and Martin. As someone mentioned earlier Toronto will have to have cap space to resign Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

I posted this yesterday.

Tanev and  Guddy to Toronto.

Liljegren , Martin , Polak , their first and a second to us.

Martin and Polak are to free up cap space and contracts for Toronto and have no value to us. So we are getting Liljegren , a first and a second for Guddy and Tanev.

13 minutes ago, plane606 said:

How about a Tanev and Vanek, 4th for Liljegren, 1st and Martin. As someone mentioned earlier Toronto will have to have cap space to resign Matthews, Marner and Nylander.

Tanev is worth Liljegren and a first on his own.

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Tanev is worth Liljegren and a first on his own.

Agreed. Adding guddy only gets a 2nd and maybe a B prospect taking the Martin contract should bump it up to a better prospect. But I guess by trading both we need a roster player back 

VAN:

Gudbranson

TO: Leivo

Martin (or Soshnikov)

Polak

Leafs are tight to the cap, with 50 contracts. They'd prob like to dump 3 skaters. With all our injuries, it would help both Canucks and Comets to add 3.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Save Tanev for serious offers only. Maybe TBay, or another contender(for 1st & strong prospect).

Same for Edler, if any buyers are serious.

Archived