The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

By definition, should Brock Boeser or Jack Eichel be Hart Trophy front runners?

Adarsh Sant

Hart Trophy  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

When buffalo was at 102 goals for Jack Eichel literally had 43 points.

Unfortunately the NHL plays full seasons.

and Deadmonton has 196 goals while McMe1st has 86 points....

and regardless,a most valuable player is certainly not reduced to or determined by team-relative point percentages.

Eichel leads his team with 61.8% offensive zone starts.  His corsi is 49.7%   Reinhart, Kane, Pominville, Reilly = all have better 'underlying' numbers than him.

Eichel has a team worst 3.9 on ice goals against per 60 minutes.

Eichel has a 41.7% faceoff percentage - leads his team with 48 giveaways.

Sorry, but absolutely none of that spells "Hart" trophy candidate.   Eichel isn't even the best player on the Buffalo Sabres.- that would be Ryan O'Reilly wadr.

Even more ironically - suggested by an OP that purports to be an 'analyticz' guy.

I have no idea how it couldn't be MacKinnon. Think about how incredibly bad the Avalanche were last year. They were an absolute joke. Now they're in Playoff contention this year AFTER TRADING AWAY DUCHENE FOR FUTURES! There's no player in the league who has taken their team on their back and single handendly won games at a rate that could have them in the Playoffs. 

Within every Avalanche game, there are two mini games. 1 game is when MacKinnon isn't on the ice; everyone try your best and try to keep it out of our zone. The other game is when MacKinnon is on the ice; it's a full fledged assault in the zone with pure dominance almost every shift. He plays at such a high pace, with such speed and power that he can impose his will on pretty much any defender. 

Imagine Horvat's body with Boeser's IQ and Virtanen's skating except even quicker. 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Sorry, but absolutely none of that spells "Hart" trophy candidate.   Eichel isn't even the best player on the Buffalo Sabres.- that would be Ryan O'Reilly wadr.

It's funny how under appreciated he is.  3 straight years with over 1000 faceoff wins and is 61%.  5 straight 50 point seasons and only 40% ozone starts

Ok - I'm going to spell this out for you @Adarsh Sant  I've already shown you how green Eichel is.

Ryan O'Reilly:

42% offensive zone starts  (20% lower than Eichel ie matchup type minutes).

50.3% corsi - better than Eichel regardless of relative hard minutes compared to Eichel's soft/opportune minutes.

61.1% faceoff guy - 20% better than Eichel.  1075 faceoff wins for O'Reilly.

54 takeaways, 28 giveaways, +26 turnover differential.  Eichel 27/48 for a -21 or a + 47 advantage to O"Reilly.

4.2 on ice goals per 60 for O'Reilly, 2.7 against = +1,5 goals per 60.  Eichel 3.2 for, team worst 3.9 against = -.7 or a +2.2 goals/60 advantage to O'Reilly.

40 blocked shots for O'Reilly, 22 for Eichel = +18 O'Reilly.

O'Reilly has been doing this for years.

Do you need any more?  I mean, you can put your head in the sand or you can look at reality beyond the highlight reels and teach yourself something.

45 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Ok - I'm going to spell this out for you @Adarsh Sant  I've already shown you how green Eichel is.

Ryan O'Reilly:

50.3% corsi - better than Eichel regardless of relative hard minutes compared to Eichel's soft/opportune minutes.

54 takeaways, 28 giveaways, +26 turnover differential.  Eichel 27/48 for a -21 or a + 47 advantage to O"Reilly.

4.2 on ice goals per 60 for O'Reilly, 2.7 against = +1,5 goals per 60.  Eichel 3.2 for, team worst 3.9 against = -.7 or a +2.2 goals/60 advantage to O'Reilly.

Do you need any more?  I mean, you can put your head in the sand or you can look at reality beyond the highlight reels and teach yourself something.

Ya but I'm lovin jack in my hockeypool prior to the injury!

:emot-parrot:

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Ryan O'Reilly:

So ROR.......is better defensively? Great.

Eichel has better g/60, a/60, p/60 and p1/60.

Now lets account for the fact that Eichel takes all the other teams top D pairings and defensive forwards. Eichel plays the harder minutes. Just look at ROR's faceoff percentage since Eichel joined the Sabres......its significantly higher than his previous career average. I can't actually believe you think ROR > Eichel

https://www.nhl.com/news/top-20-centers-nhl-top-players/c-290707570?tid=290583266

Find me Eichel on this list then find me ROR

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

So ROR.......is better defensively? Great.

Eichel has better g/60, a/60, p/60 and p1/60.

Now lets account for the fact that Eichel takes all the other teams top D pairings and defensive forwards. Eichel plays the harder minutes. Just look at ROR's faceoff percentage since Eichel joined the Sabres......its significantly higher than his previous career average. I can't actually believe you think ROR > Eichel

https://www.nhl.com/news/top-20-centers-nhl-top-players/c-290707570?tid=290583266

Find me Eichel on this list then find me ROR

Sorry, but I can't take your opinion seriously.   "Eichel plays the harder minutes" - I don't think you know what that means.

Archived