The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

By definition, should Brock Boeser or Jack Eichel be Hart Trophy front runners?

Adarsh Sant

Hart Trophy  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At least provide some stats to support your argument.

I looked up 2 players. Kucherov has 36% and Brock 30% of their teams offense. 

The lighting are at the top of the league. You can argue that without him, they could possibly be fighting for a playoff spot. Without Brock, well we're just another bottom feeder, which we already are. The lighting without Stamkos last year, didn't even make the playoffs. These things are hard to judge but looking at the history of how the award is handed out, Kucherov would have more votes compared to Brock for the Hart and Ted Lindsey. Brock is likely to miss 20 games this season, so he's not providing much value for a quarter of the season. 

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

While it could be argued that Eichel and Boeser were the MVPs of their respective teams (Boeser most assuredly is), it is also rather obvious that these teams would still struggle even with both playing at their best. 

The Canucks were a bubble playoff team until the Avalanche of injuries hit in December

11 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

By definition, Mackinnon should be running away with this trophy. What he's doing this season is otherworldly.

People who don't follow the league as a whole should refrain from adding their opinion to this thread.

Marchand has a killer PPG too. Hate him or not, he is right up there. 

By definition it should be either Hall or McKinnon beating our Kucherov.  Kucherov might win it but he has an absolutely sick support system in place to pad his stats.  Probably the best line in hockey when he plays with Stamkos, plus arguably the best second AND third line helping take the attention away from him.  ..

And two offensive defenseman anchoring the Blueline.  ...

Vasilevsky has it easy, he's been great too but the team infront of him usually scores, unlike our situation.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Doesn't have to be an elite team, but the Hart should go to a team that makes the playoffs at least, in my humble opinion.

Completely agree...if you ice a pee-wee team, anyone would look good on that team, therefore easily being most valuable to that team.  You want someone that without him his team wouldn't in the playoff or wouldn't be a contender.  Otherwise, you're kind of rewarding failures.

Also I think most valuable means the value a player bring to a team's successes.  It's measured in team successes and not on individual stats.  No playoff = No team success

50 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Marchand has a killer PPG too. Hate him or not, he is right up there. 

I think Marchand is in contention for the Ted Lindsay, but I'd say he's got a very strong supporting cast, so I wouldn't put him too close in the Hart race.

4 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

I could pose another question. By definiton, should Hank have won in 2009-10 (Danny got injured at 63 games played)? Danny also had the 3rd best pts/gp in the league that season, behind only Hank and Ovechkin........

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Tough to say. The Canucks had a plethora of solid offensive players in that year and finished second in goals for, so it's not like the twins contributed offense when we had none elsewhere. That said, Ovechkin and his Capitals were also really strong.

I think a valid argument could be made that Hank shouldn't have won that year. Stamkos scored 51 goals on a Lightning team that couldn't score, but he also had St. Louis helping him out a lot. It's a bit of a tough call.

0 percent chance that Canucks team dominates that season like they did without Henrik on the team. Daniel missed 19 games that season and Henrik still won the Art Ross playing with Burrows and samualsonn. Imagine if they didn’t have Henrik during this games Daniel was out? 

Samulson - Kesler - burrows

raymond - malhorta? - Hansen? Demitra?

people seem to forget that the 2010 team basically ran 3 lines all season (4th line getting like 5-8 mins per night) and it’s offence was one of the most top heavy line ups in the league. The Sedins powered one of the top power plays in the league and were dominant 5 on 5 as well. Without them I’m honestly not even sure the Canucks would’ve made the playoffs. 

EDIT: just went through the 18 straight games Daniel missed that season. It Henrik had 18 points and 10 goals (including a hat trick) in that time and Van won 11 of the games. It’s not surprising he won

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think Marchand is in contention for the Ted Lindsay, but I'd say he's got a very strong supporting cast, so I wouldn't put him too close in the Hart race.

Hate him. But also admire what he's achieved given where he started, how he plays, and wish we had someone like that on our team.  His skill was obvious even back in the final, the last three years he's been one of the best forwsrds in the league, peaking later much like the Sedins.  Scores a lot of important goals too.  Picked him in my pool the last two years and he hasn't disappointed.

5 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Doesn't have to be an elite team, but the Hart should go to a team that makes the playoffs at least, in my humble opinion.

I agree. No matter how great you are, how many points you get, if you cannot get your team to the playoffs, it's hard to justify your value to the team's success.

The problem is, each team is going to have an MVP, so that's 31 potential candidates. You have to narrow down that list somehow and team success is one of the more natural ways to do so. As soon as you start having people like Brock and Eichel as candidates, you make the decision process much harder which I doubt is what the league would want.

46 minutes ago, rekker said:

They need to take a page put of the CFL handbook. Change it to most outstanding player. Problem solved. This most valuable to their own team is stupid. Too tough to categorize. 

Their is actually another award for that in the NHL...........the Ted Lindsay Award.

Archived