The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Brooks Orpik

With Washington having limited cap space to sign Carlson, Wilson, and Smith-Pelley as notable players to re-sign for next year, would Orpik be an easy cap dump for us to take on? His modified NTC expires at the end of this season and he only has one year remaining on his contract at 5.5 million. Could get us an asset now for taking on a cap dump as well as later on at next years trade deadline if we retain salary. Also, I'd rather not trade Ben Hutton but his inclusion in such a trade would make a lot of sense for both sides. 

To WAS:
Ben Hutton 

To VAN:
Brooks Orpik 
Lucas Johansen
2018 3rd 

1 minute ago, shazzam said:

We're definitely in a position to take on a bad contract, nothing over a 1 year commitment though. But Orpik needs to be able to at least be a serviceable 3rd pairing D. Hope he still has the physicality left in him.

His physicality is likely to help his trade value a bit, he's currently 15th in the league with 207 hits as well as 11th in the league with 158 blocked shots and averaging almost 20 minutes a game...would step into our top four I'd say.

4 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

My bad.

Sorry to play the nagging Grandma, but mods will go Orwellian! :^)

I had an Orpik prop..way back when(?), I think about 1.5 yrs ago. That Orpik/Niskanen summer never panned out for silly Washington. Let's go for some size here, & forget about picks(value so complicated, etc...)

WASH: Orpik, Burakovsky, Connolly (total-10 mill AAV combined). Bura is RFA next summer; Connolly UFA next summer.

VAN:

Baertschi (might sign about 2.5 mill, I'd guess?)

Hutton

Gagner

This would save the Caps a coupla' mill, they need the space more than we do.

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Sorry to play the nagging Grandma, but mods will go Orwellian! :^)

I had an Orpik prop..way back when(?), I think about 1.5 yrs ago. That Orpik/Niskanen summer never panned out for silly Washington. Let's go for some size here, & forget about picks(value so complicated, etc...)

WASH: Orpik, Burakovsky, Connolly (total-10 mill AAV combined). Bura is RFA next summer; Connolly UFA next summer.

VAN:

Baertschi (might sign about 2.5 mill, I'd guess?)

Hutton

Gagner

This would save the Caps a coupla' mill, they need the space more than we do.

I don't think Washington is going to give up on Burakovsky just yet tbh and Connolly is a guy they like a lot. If we were to add Baertschi in this deal I'd ask for Gersich back tbh. 

On ‎2018‎年‎3‎月‎31‎日 at 6:16 AM, TheHitman said:

I don't think Washington is going to give up on Burakovsky just yet tbh and Connolly is a guy they like a lot. If we were to add Baertschi in this deal I'd ask for Gersich back tbh. 

Prob right.

At the end of the day, if we take on fading, old f*rts(expiring contracts & receding hairlines), we get younger, bigger and/or faster accompanying pieces. Some competitive teams have the surplus youth to take such a swap. If they're desperate for space. As a franchise(like us) gets more cap space, imagine JB's phone rings more(with such ideas)?

50 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

With Washington having limited cap space to sign Carlson, Wilson, and Smith-Pelley as notable players to re-sign for next year, would Orpik be an easy cap dump for us to take on? His modified NTC expires at the end of this season and he only has one year remaining on his contract at 5.5 million. Could get us an asset now for taking on a cap dump as well as later on at next years trade deadline if we retain salary. Also, I'd rather not trade Ben Hutton but his inclusion in such a trade would make a lot of sense for both sides. 

To WAS:
Ben Hutton 

To VAN:
Brooks Orpik 
Lucas Johansen
2018 3rd 

Edler-Tanev

Orpik-Guddy

that could be serviceable. 

Campbell and Guddy were a solid pairing in FLA so that could work out well. 

1 hour ago, TheHitman said:

To WAS:
Ben Hutton 

To VAN:
Brooks Orpik 
Lucas Johansen
2018 3rd 

Orpik's buyout cap hit is less than Hutton's.  Hutton has been scratched multiple times.  Johansen is a 1st round pick on an ELC.  A buyout seems like a preferable option if they really want to free Orpik's roster spot.  The cap is also going up.

Archived