The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Senators assistant GM arrested on harassment charge

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If you ever experienced a shoulder rub/dirty talk combo, you'd feel differently. Now the elbow? That's grounds for prison, baby!

I was propositioned by guys when I was in my 20's.  One even kissed me on the cheek and told me I was "pretty" in Spanish.  It was all I could do to keep myself from punching his lights out.  Suing him was the furthest thing from my mind.  Not going to jail for assault and battery and ending up in the newspaper was more of a concern.

I gave him a nasty look, turned around and walked away.

13 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I was propositioned by guys when I was in my 20's.  One even kissed me on the cheek and told me I was "pretty" in Spanish.  It was all I could do to keep myself from punching his lights out.  Suing him was the furthest thing from my mind.  Not going to jail for assault and battery and ending up in the newspaper was more of a concern.

It’s kind of a compliment to get propositioned by a gay guy, isn’t it?  That should mean you’re good looking, no?  I think, in this case, the 20 year old was working for the older guy or something like that, wasn’t he?  He might have felt intimidated.  I still don’t get suing someone over it though.  Just say, no thanks; I like girls.  

It’s like people are afraid of these situations.  Like something really bad is going to happen.  

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I was propositioned by guys when I was in my 20's.  One even kissed me on the cheek and told me I was "pretty" in Spanish. 

Sorry, SabreFan. That's sexual assault by today's standards. I do regret poking fun at the situation. 

It was all I could do to keep myself from punching his lights out. 

The &^@#ed up thing about that is that, by law, you'd be totally justified in dealing with that sexual predator by punching his lights out, but in today's totally backwards social climate, he'd somehow be the victim. 

Suing him was the furthest thing from my mind.  Not going to jail for assault and battery and ending up in the newspaper was more of a concern.

Fair enough. Self preservation is key. 

Pretty much all one can do these days. 

18 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sorry, SabreFan. That's sexual assault by today's standards. I do regret poking fun at the situation. 

The &^@#ed up thing about that is that, by law, you'd be totally justified in dealing with that sexual predator by punching his lights out, but in today's totally backwards social climate, he'd somehow be the victim. 

Fair enough. Self preservation is key. 

Pretty much all one can do these days. 

No worries.  It shouldn't be considered sexual assault.  If anything an unwanted kiss on the cheek is battery.  People are just hyper-sensitive these days.

Had I punched his lights out for something so minor, I would rightfully have been arrested also.  Had I beat up the horny drunk gay dude, I honestly think that's worse than an unwanted kiss.  I didn't feel violated, just angry.

Fortunately I was stone cold sober and was thinking clearly enough to decide that discretion was the better part of valour in that case.

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s kind of a compliment to get propositioned by a gay guy, isn’t it?  That should mean you’re good looking, no?  I think, in this case, the 20 year old was working for the older guy or something like that, wasn’t he?  He might have felt intimidated.  I still don’t get suing someone over it though.  Just say, no thanks; I like girls.  

It’s like people are afraid of these situations.  Like something really bad is going to happen.  

No, trust me, it gets annoying after a while.  Although any girl I was dating at the time usually thought it was hilarious.

I think the kid who was driving Lee was 19.  He may have felt intimidated, but my guess is that he likely realized he could get some cash.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

No worries.  It shouldn't be considered sexual assault.  If anything an unwanted kiss on the cheek is battery.  People are just hyper-sensitive these days.

Fair enough. It's still a violation of space and sexual harassment though. I've never in all my years encountered a gay guy ever being that forward. Every gay guy I've ever known has been very respectful of personal space and have stellar gaydar, what with being gay.

Had I punched his lights out for something so minor, I would rightfully have been arrested also.  Had I beat up the horny drunk gay dude, I honestly think that's worse than an unwanted kiss.  I didn't feel violated, just angry.

Good point. Beating on him wouldn't match the unwanted advance. Possibly just a good, quick slap would do the trick. 

Fortunately I was stone cold sober and was thinking clearly enough to decide that discretion was the better part of valour in that case.

Yeah. I'm not sure what anyone is thinking when they advance unwelcomingly onto another person. What happened to gauging interest and want before moving in for a peck? Regardless of orientation, it's a violation of personal space. 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. It's still a violation of space and sexual harassment though. I've never in all my years encountered a gay guy ever being that forward. Every gay guy I've ever known has been very respectful of personal space and have stellar gaydar, what with being gay.

Yeah, I always thought that was weird.  I am straight as an arrow, but when I was in my 20's, more than a few tried.  Fortunately by the time my 30's came around and now that I'm in my 40's, it stopped.

Good point. Beating on him wouldn't match the unwanted advance. Possibly just a good, quick slap would do the trick. 

The only way that I would have risked getting arrested by getting physical is if he didn't heed the warning look that I gave him and followed me and tried again. 

Yeah. I'm not sure what anyone is thinking when they advance unwelcomingly onto another person. What happened to gauging interest and want before moving in for a peck? Regardless of orientation, it's a violation of personal space.

When push comes to shove, it was no big deal.  It just peeved me off and put a damper on my night out.

• 3 months later...

He pleaded guilty to harassment and got sentenced to time served and a $120 fine.  The horny young boy lover now has a criminal record in a foreign country and is likely done in the NHL.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2018/12/20/ex-senators-executive-pleads-guilty-to-harassing-driver/38774195/

Former Ottawa Senators assistant general manager Randy Lee has pleaded guilty to a harassment charge stemming from an encounter with a 19-year-old male hotel shuttle driver in Buffalo.

The 57-year-old Lee entered the plea Thursday in Buffalo City Court just before his nonjury trial was to begin. He declined comment when leaving the courthouse.

Lee was charged with making lewd comments and rubbing the shoulders of the driver while attending the NHL's pre-draft scouting combine in May.

He was sentenced to time already served — one night in jail — and ordered to pay a $120 surcharge for pleading guilty.

Lee was suspended by the Senators and resigned in August after 23 years with the team, including the past five as assistant general manager and GM of the team's American Hockey League affiliate.

On 8/24/2018 at 6:45 PM, SabreFan1 said:

You don't have to go to some bro extreme and punch someone, just take it as a compliment and move on if you're not into it.

But this whole story is just weird, what a meltdown of a career. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

You don't have to go to some bro extreme and punch someone, just take it as a compliment and move on if you're not into it.

But this whole story is just weird, what a meltdown of a career. 

If you keep reading, I agreed back then with the moving on and that's what I did.  As for the taking it as a compliment, I definitely didn't and still wouldn't.  I was and still am a bit homophobic when it comes to something like that.

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

If you keep reading, I agreed back then with the moving on and that's what I did.  As for the taking it as a compliment, I definitely didn't and still wouldn't.  I was and still am a bit homophobic when it comes to something like that.

well, at least you're honest about it. But you should take it as a compliment, gay guys have great taste so it means you're not a bowser. 

Archived