The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Battles at camp

smithers joe

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Pretty much agree.

I wasn’t hoping for QH at the draft and I don’t know his D game enough to do anything more than parrot some website, not that it stops most from doing just that in here.

Why I asked you was because there’s really not a lot of Dmen in the system who will be considered core and the team needs star players, but star Dmen, not one-trick ponies or gimmicks. TS has the desire, most nights, but he isn’t much to get excited about anymore, nor is Pouliot, especially not Hutton. It’s going to be another painful year of watching this Dcore get hurt, play smurfs in bigger roles and  watch them get run into the boards. 

I have concerns with QH’s size and what I’ve read about his D game, but I’m excited to see if he can be the fast, skilled D that we’ve never had here. Good luck to him. 

If he becomes an offensive dynamo, then like you say, all will be forgiven if he can’t play D as well as we’d like. I’m happy he’s gone back to play where he should this season. 

The quality of the D in the pool increased greatly this June, but we know ~ 80% of all prospects fail to become impact players. I’m not ready to pencil anyone into the lineup from the pool just yet. 

One more year of the accidental Tank - Linden era would have been my preference, but I hope they can still select a few more stud D next draft. 

Looking forward to the WJHC and to see if Dobson continues to receive praise from his coaches and others, never mind watching our guys and Boqvist and Bouchard as well. Do you think your guy, Bouchard, will make the NHL this fall? It’s say he’s damn close, if he can skate. 

Our D has to improve their overall game.

We have room for an offensive D man like Hughes. He will be most effective on the power play and skating the puck out of trouble. I see a game like Ehrhoff. Great passer , great skater, keeps the puck, distributes it like a point guard in basketball.

Woo may be a big surprise on the back end. I like what I have seen of him in the showcase this week. A better skater than I thought.

I am still expecting us to be a lottery pick in june but we wont suck as bad as we did last year. Defensively we have to be better but thats most likely to come from the play of our bottom 6.  I am hoping one of our prospects shows up to  this camp and bumps one of the Huttons, Pouliots, even Stechers out of their comfort zone.M

As for Dobson, this kid will be a good solid NHL defenseman but he may need a bit more development to reach his potential. I still think he will be a good one.

Bouchard, well we all know i like this kids game. I think he is already one of Edmontons best D men and he hasnt played an NHL game yet. How they use him will be interesting to see. How his skating improves, well he can work on that. The shot will help their power play, the pass will help spring a few mc David breakaways.

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Like last year, no way Boucher makes the roster, and hopefully he is not ever a call-up either, as there are enough younger prospects now that should be better.  And if Biega is still on the opening night roster, save for many injuries, it means:

1. Pouliot and Hutton are done here

2. Juolevi needs more development or is still recovering from surgery

3. Sautner, McEneny, and Brisebois didn't show well at all in pre-season

We don't necessarily want a young player in that 7th (part-time) D spot, but at some point we have to move forward.  Send the Bulldog back to Utica to lead and mentor the kids there.

I agree.although i really liked what Sautner did here last season at the end of the year. Not flashy, no end to end rushes , just good solid decisions and defense first. That's what I want out of him. We need good defensive D men also.

Juolevi needs rto show up this year. If he is still recovering from surgery then fine but once he is healthy he needs to come play and make an impact. I understood taking him where we di and passin on Tkachuck as long as he develops into one of our top D men. Now he has to prove it.

19 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

You're splitting up Brock and Bo? Lol what? 

Unlikely to be this fall IMO but at some point, putting our best sniper with our best play maker is bound to happen. Could be later this year, could be one or more years from now.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Unlikely to be this fall IMO but at some point, putting our best sniper with our best play maker is bound to happen. Could be later this year, could be one or more years from now.

Yes that definitely sounds like more of a fair assumption, if things aren't working then switch them up for sure, or do they just stack up one line or spread out the offense, time will tell.

Archived