The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple People Shot Near Danforth and Logan Ave, Toronto

trek

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't disagree with you but I'm not sure why you brought this up? From what I'm reading it's not gang related. Has something changed?

I’m assuming here I admit.  But the incident occurred in a “turf” area.  There was also that shooting a short time ago at a playground.

perhaps this man was unstable, or a radical, or a gangster.  Either way Canada can stand to up its heavy handedness when it comes to crime.

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I’m assuming here I admit.  But the incident occurred in a “turf” area.  There was also that shooting a short time ago at a playground.

perhaps this man was unstable, or a radical, or a gangster.  Either way Canada can stand to up its heavy handed Ed’s when it comes to crime.

Yes I agree with getting tougher on crime unfortunately the liberals have a history of doing the opposite. 

I just maybe I missed some of the story. I'm sure more will come out in the coming days.

I found this strange.

×××××××××××××

On Monday, the Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama`at Canada released a statement condemning the shooting.

“We are shocked at the senseless violence that took place in Danforth, in which a child and young woman were killed, and many others injured, after a lone gunman opened-fire,” says National President of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama`at Canada, Mr. Lal Khan Malik. “Our sincerest thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this abhorrent incident.”

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/07/22/danforth-mass-shooting/

14 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yes I agree with getting tougher on crime unfortunately the liberals have a history of doing the opposite. 

I just maybe I missed some of the story. I'm sure more will come out in the coming days.

I found this strange.

×××××××××××××

On Monday, the Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama`at Canada released a statement condemning the shooting.

“We are shocked at the senseless violence that took place in Danforth, in which a child and young woman were killed, and many others injured, after a lone gunman opened-fire,” says National President of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama`at Canada, Mr. Lal Khan Malik. “Our sincerest thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this abhorrent incident.”

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/07/22/danforth-mass-shooting/

why strange?   I am sure a lot of people in Canada were shocked at the senseless violence.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So am I. 

I'm wondering why they picked that specific group in their story.

Ah, good point.   I didn't even twig on that - thought it was just a random neighbourhood spokesperson but I see your point.   I sure hope not.   Toronto doesn't need that crap too.

28 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

yeah.... no. I know its a nice conservative idea floating around out there but that statement holds no water. 

Overall crime rates in Canada has dropped steadily since 1992. 

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So am I. 

I'm wondering why they picked that specific group in their story.

because his name sounds Muslimy. Look at what Fox News tried to do with the story. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah.... no. I know its a nice conservative idea floating around out there but that statement holds no water. 

Overall crime rates in Canada has dropped steadily since 1992. 

I simply said the liberals are soft on crime. That is true. People were getting out with like 1/6 of time served or something ridiculous.

20 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I simply said the liberals are soft on crime. That is true. People were getting out with like 1/6 of time served or something ridiculous.

But its not true. The time served thing is a result of an overcrowded prison system in need of real reform. Last stat I saw was 70% of people going to jail had one or both of a drug addiction or mental illness. Trying to deal with that properly isn't "soft" it just means recognizing jail isn't a good place for dealing with either issue. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But its not true. The time served thing is a result of an overcrowded prison system in need of real reform. Last stat I saw was 70% of people going to jail had one or both of a drug addiction or mental illness. Trying to deal with that properly isn't "soft" it just means recognizing jail isn't a good place for dealing with either issue. 

Look at what Conservatives changed when coming to power after mostly Liberal governments the previous 40 years.

sucks this happened, and knowing who was the shooter will just create more hatred for the muslim community , i have muslim friends, but really canada needs to be alittle more stricter on who we let in ( immigration laws need to be relooked at and maybe some changes need to happen ) , i know violence can be started by anyone, but really ...i dont even watch new anymore, cause its just sad, and now i see it on various websites, sad day :( i feel for the victims family and the people who were effected

13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Look at what Conservatives changed when coming to power after mostly Liberal governments the previous 40 years.

It didn't make anything better and front line workers are worried Harper made things worse for society not safer. Sure it has that feel good moment that someone's being punished more, but if the result of that is our society isn't safer and might be at more risk of repeat offenders what was the point? 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/five-fundamental-ways-harper-has-changed-the-justice-system/article18503381/

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/publications/Manitoba Office/2015/09/Tough on Crime WEB.pdf 

2 hours ago, Surfbali said:

Unfortunately,  there is a mosque on Danforth near the square boy restaurant. People might jump to conclusions because of this fact. There is a large muslim presence in the area so this incident might spark violence as their is already racial tension along Danforth. I wonder if the Imam will talk with the media to settle things down? Could get ugly around there.

Yeah the Danforth is interesting... walking east, once you walk through the Greek neighbourhood, you will find yourself in the middle of a Muslim neighbourhood. Everything looks different, and it happens rather suddenly.

Off topic a bit, when news broke out about the van attack at Yonge and Sheppard, my guess was that the perp must've lived in the 905 north of there (Markham / Richmond Hill). My guess was based on the assumption that the perp must've wanted a higher concentration of people, but weren't willing to go downtown where he might not be comfortable with, forgoing the greater reward of even more people. So he settled with Yonge and Sheppard because it's close by and has a higher concentration of people.

This shooter apparently lives in Thorncliffe area, a short drive from Greektown which has a higher concentration of people than where he lived. 

From a criminology class in school, criminals usually commit their crimes in geographical areas they are familiar with. From these two examples, it really seems like they've made calculated decisions to decide where to commit their crimes - a compromise between what they know, and what their potential reward would be.

19 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Yeah the Danforth is interesting... walking east, once you walk through the Greek neighbourhood, you will find yourself in the middle of a Muslim neighbourhood. Everything looks different, and it happens rather suddenly.

I wonder if that works in reverse? You're walking west through a nice quiet Muslim neighbourhood and suddenly everything gets shockingly Greek, all bouzouki and tzatziki?

Archived