The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Justin Williams named Hurricanes captain

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1608031/hurricanes-williams-covering-cost-for-fans-adding-c-to-his-jersey

Hurricanes' Williams covering cost for fans adding 'C' to his jersey
22h ago
Elsa / Getty Images Sport / Getty
NEWARK, NJ - FEBRUARY 15: Justin Williams #14 of the Carolina Hurricanes looks to pass against the New Jersey Devils on February 15, 2018 at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey.The New Jersey Devils defeated the Carolina Hurricanes 5-2.

Talk about leading by example.

Veteran forward and three-time Stanley Cup championship Justin Williams, who was named Carolina Hurricanes captain on Sept. 13, is offering to reach into his own pocket for fans who plan to add the captain's "C" to his jersey.

"Leadership comes naturally and comes from years of watching other great leaders," Williams said following the captaincy announcement. "Certainly, my current coach (Rod Brind'Amour) is one of them. I'll be taking little things from his leadership and instilling them in mine. It's something I'm very humbled by and very proud of and something I don't take lightly."

The offer runs through the Canes' Oct. 4 home opener against the New York Islanders.

Williams was named Hurricanes captain after teammates Justin Faulk and Jordan Staalsplit the duties last season.

Archived