The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Trade between Vancouver and Chicago fell through over Seabrook

23 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

ya they need cap space hence the only guy logical would be seabrook if they have to trade away a lottery pick even if it's trading down. you make it sound like connor murphy is a negative asset. he's a + 12 on a really really bad hawks team last year. with the way contracts are given. 3.85 for a defenseman that can play is very reasonable... if they have to give away the 3rd overall? the starting point would be you have to take seabrook. they can easily get a draft pick for murphy. all team needs cap space.. and they still have 12mil cap space before moving anyone out atm. strome and debrincat is still on their ELC so they have no immediate need to trade away a guy with a reasonable cap and a short deal vs a guy that have a terrible cap at a long deal

Well Murphy was -3 the year previous and a -13 a year previous to that so he seems more like an average D.The team was bad due to a large part to their terrible defence so if they want to improve it they would need to move some players out and bring in some new ones. I remember reading the two most likely defencemen to be move are Murphy and Forsling (the former do not have a NTC or a NMC). The reason given was to bring in better defencemen like Jokiharju and more ice time for Koekkoek.  I see that they have already moved out Forsling and added Maatta and De Haan.

Has that rumour even been picked up by the Chicago beat writers or the insiders.

It looks like Chris Kuc took a swing at it when he asked Bowman about how he approached the blatantly wrong rumours out there.  Also his comments on elite players available at 3 vs 12.  

Q&A session by Chris Kuc with Stan Bowman:

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/sessions-with-stan-offseason-building-pt-1/c-308090586

Do you get a kick out of some of the blatantly wrong rumors floating around out there?

I do laugh at that stuff. There is so much misinformation out there. I guess your first reaction is to just get out there and correct it, but that is impossible. It would be an exhaustive process to sit there and fact check everything that's out there. I just let it go and smile at it. If you start commenting on it then it's like you have to comment on everything and then the ones when you don't it's, 'Well, he didn't dispute that one so this must be the real one,' when, no, it's just I don't have time to fact check all of them.

But it is sort of funny to see what's out there. Some of it doesn't make any sense at all given our situation. If anyone even made even a cursory attempt to look at it they'd see some of these things would never come to be. But I guess that's how it works.

Moving on, how important was it to get the No. 3 pick in the NHL Draft right?

It's critical to make sure that Kirby Dach is going to be a big part of our future. It could be the near future but let's fast forward three to four years because at that point the players drafted this year are into their NHL careers and they've developed and matured to where they are hopefully impact players. When you're picking at No. 12, you just don't have access to that player. There aren't enough elite players in a draft. It's funny, and we've studied this: When you go back to the last 20 years of drafts, there just aren't that many elite players year after year. There's usually a few. There are some drafts that have five but there are never 12 that are high-end defensemen or forwards that are going to be top, top players. There are a handful, so if you can choose third overall, you have access to those players. If you're picking 12th, you might get lucky. 

So the moment at the draft lottery that that card flipped to Minnesota, everything changed for us. It was suddenly, 'okay, now we're going to have access to this pool of players and it's our job to dig in, really break down what they do well, what they can get better at and how they're going to impact your team in the next 15 years'.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:32 AM, Boone Jenner said:

https://twitter.com/JamesCybulski/status/1143163471913074694

Heard over the weekend that #Canucks & #Blackhawks had discussed swapping the 3rd and 10th overall picks so Vancouver could jump up to get Bowen Byram, but Chicago wanted Van to take D Brent Seabrook and the remaining 5 years/$6.875M AAV on his contract. Thus the deal died.

I call BS

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brock Botanen said:

So if Ducks took Podkolzin we would have traded down instead of drafting Zegras? I cant see that

From what I understand Podkolzin was Vancouver's second choice there is a lot of speculation that Zegras was their first. I believe the Canucks thought they were getting Zegras at 10, when Ducks picked him at 9 the Canucks went with Podkolzin. If both of them were gone by 10 then yeah they would have probably traded down. 

On 6/28/2019 at 11:03 PM, Jaku said:

From what I understand Podkolzin was Vancouver's second choice there is a lot of speculation that Zegras was their first. I believe the Canucks thought they were getting Zegras at 10, when Ducks picked him at 9 the Canucks went with Podkolzin. If both of them were gone by 10 then yeah they would have probably traded down. 

gotta thank Detroit and Edmonton for making those picks to make it possible that Pod was available. 

On 6/28/2019 at 10:55 PM, buddyguy said:

I call BS

just another guy wanting to get into the game with false rumors.  draft was in Vancouver of course he wants to stir things up with rumors of his own.  I called b.s too when I first heard of it.  Any notion of taking Seabrooks contract is quite an insult to our gm and