The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks News & Rumors: Edler, Boeser, Podkolzin, Miller Trade - The Hockey Writers

Rate this topic

grandmaster

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's not semantics it's fact.  You said we weren't buying any of his UFA years, which is not true, we would be buying one year on a 5 year deal.  Also, BO will be a UFA the year prior to Boeser if Boeser were to sign a 5 year deal.  Are you freaking out about that as well?

At the end of the day if we have the cap space and we are a legitimate playoff team and cup contender there is no reason for either BO or Boeser to leave Vancouver.  They are not prima donnas.  Lots of guys re-sign with their current team after UFA status.  The Canucks would have the advantage of adding that extra year to the contract as well unless that gets changed in the new CBA.

At the end of the day if we are a playoff calibre team that is chasing a cup in 4-5 years there is no reason for either BO or Boeser to leave if we have the cap space to sign them.  If we still suck after another 4 years then that is a different issue altogether and most likely we will lose both.  So here's hoping the Canucks have a great summer and get back into the playoffs next year.  Now maybe people can understand why it is so important to make the playoffs instead of just collecting high draft picks.  It's because we actually want to be able to compete so our star players stick around and we don't end up like Edmonton.

Calm down.  One year is correct I apologize for getting that wrong.  I have my opinion at it is I’m not a fan of a 4-5 x 7 deal, like you say it brings him to free agency early and then he could be gone.  And yes so could Horvat, which is part of the reason I’m in the sign him to a 7-8 and lock him up camp.   I get that your ok with that, which is fine too.

Personally given the state of our defense I don’t think we will be in contending shape for quite some time, the window is still at least three years away, at which time both Horvat and Boeser will be close to free agency in a deal like this.  Personally I’d rather have a bigger window then one or two years. 

Im absolutely stoked about the Miller deal because as you say the guys won’t want to stick around if we are losing three years from now...I don’t think that’s going to happen, but I also don’t think we have a defense that’s close to taking us far into the playoffs either.   If Hughes is a Calder candidate this year that would help big time... as would OJ stepping in during that time frame and becoming the player we always wanted him to be we will be fine.  Big ifs.

I think a 4-5 x 7 deal heavily favours Boeser, he’d get paid for what he hasn’t done yet, traditionally a big overpayment for a RFA (yes I get that they are now getting third contract money for their second contracts, doesn’t mean i have to like it) and be a UFA in his mid-twenties.  Just like AM it’s a steal of a deal for the player.  

Plus these guys will have all the leverage by then, to stay a contender (if we manage that) and keep the window open we are gambling on them staying and possibly taking big discounts to do so (which rarely happens anymore TBs guys are making the same as they would if you tagged 1-2 million more in a different city) just look what’s happening in TO, not team friendly at all.    If we signed him for 8 years, when the contract is up we’d have had him for most of his best years...and of course he could go play in MIN or whatever is his favourite team growing up - but at least we had him under contract for 11 years.

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Calm down.  One year is correct I apologize for getting that wrong.  I have my opinion at it is I’m not a fan of a 4-5 x 7 deal, like you say it brings him to free agency early and then he could be gone.  And yes so could Horvat, which is part of the reason I’m in the sign him to a 7-8 and lock him up camp.   I get that your ok with that, which is fine too.

Personally given the state of our defense I don’t think we will be in contending shape for quite some time, the window is still at least three years away, at which time both Horvat and Boeser will be close to free agency in a deal like this.  Personally I’d rather have a bigger window then one or two years. 

Im absolutely stoked about the Miller deal because as you say the guys won’t want to stick around if we are losing three years from now...I don’t think that’s going to happen, but I also don’t think we have a defense that’s close to taking us far into the playoffs either.   If Hughes is a Calder candidate this year that would help big time... as would OJ stepping in during that time frame and becoming the player we always wanted him to be we will be fine.  Big ifs.

I think a 4-5 x 7 deal heavily favours Boeser, he’d get paid for what he hasn’t done yet, traditionally a big overpayment for a RFA (yes I get that they are now getting third contract money for their second contracts, doesn’t mean i have to like it) and be a UFA in his mid-twenties.  Just like AM it’s a steal of a deal for the player.  

Plus these guys will have all the leverage by then, to stay a contender (if we manage that) and keep the window open we are gambling on them staying and possibly taking big discounts to do so (which rarely happens anymore TBs guys are making the same as they would if you tagged 1-2 million more in a different city) just look what’s happening in TO, not team friendly at all.    If we signed him for 8 years, when the contract is up we’d have had him for most of his best years...and of course he could go play in MIN or whatever is his favourite team growing up - but at least we had him under contract for 11 years.

Yes you are correct with our defence.  It needs a major overhaul if we are to compete in the playoffs.  That's why Benning is currently in the middle of doing just that.  It starts with re-signing Edler to a friendly 2 year deal so we don't have to protect him in the expansion draft.  He's good for 2 more years so no worries there.  The next step is to replace Hutton with a guy that can play a heavier game and be a good 3rd pairing guy.  Someone like Nemeth.  Then the next step is to add a right hand D who can play in the top 4.  That's why he's talking to Myers.  Maybe Risto is still in play as well.  Then after all this we need to integrate our young guys into the D as we go along here.  First off would be Juolevi.  Then Tryamkin and Woo will follow.

In 3 years we are hopefully looking at a D that has Hughes, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Stecher and Woo in the top 6 with a couple more guys acquired via trade or free agency.  That is the plan.  The core of our future D will be the guys that we have already drafted.  Let's see what happens.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser at $7 million for 5 years is a steal...

If Boeser at 7 is a steal then Horvat at 5.5 is absolute robbery.

This could be a sticky point with management too.

How do they pay Boeser 7 when they're paying a top-two center who's producing more and has a more rounded game 5,5?

Add, also, that they just traded for another winger that produces similar numbers and is also a more rounded player who is also making less than 6.

JB's showing a bit more savy when making deals but a side effect of this is the low bar he's set as far as payroll.

The same can be said for the rumored interest in Tyler Myers.

He just played hardball with Edler but now he appears to be ready to open the vault for Myers?

It doesn't look good to the guys who've been here and stayed loyal to the team and have clearly made sacrifices to stay.

Although I can't say I'm the biggest Edler fan, I do commend him for his loyalty and do place value in that and am happy to see him back.

Another, stranger thing I heard on the radio this morning is that Boeser is looking to sign long-term but JB wants a shorter term in the 4 to 5 year range..

I don't get this unless Boeser's ask is really high in terms of money.

If you have a 21 year old scoring winger who's asking a fair number and wants to sign long-term, I'm thinking it's a no brainer.

William Nylander scored 61 points in his contract year. He's at 6.9 for 5 more seasons.

I don't care what the term is but 6.5 is the number I'm happy with.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes you are correct with our defence.  It needs a major overhaul if we are to compete in the playoffs.  That's why Benning is currently in the middle of doing just that.  It starts with re-signing Edler to a friendly 2 year deal so we don't have to protect him in the expansion draft.  He's good for 2 more years so no worries there.  The next step is to replace Hutton with a guy that can play a heavier game and be a good 3rd pairing guy.  Someone like Nemeth.  Then the next step is to add a right hand D who can play in the top 4.  That's why he's talking to Myers.  Maybe Risto is still in play as well.  Then after all this we need to integrate our young guys into the D as we go along here.  First off would be Juolevi.  Then Tryamkin and Woo will follow.

In 3 years we are hopefully looking at a D that has Hughes, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Stecher and Woo in the top 6 with a couple more guys acquired via trade or free agency.  That is the plan.  The core of our future D will be the guys that we have already drafted.  Let's see what happens.

Can’t argue with that. Semi-short term we need to either keep signing short deals with Edler and move on from Tanev unless by some miracle he manages most of a season.  Edler has played 63% of the games the past five years, Tanev considerably less...both these guys are warriors, too bad we had to rely on them so heavily and we need long term replacements for both.  It’s possible Woo and OJ are exactly that one can hope.  

I’ve been on the sign Myers train, or even Gardiner for some time simply because they can pairtly replace what those guys give to the team.  Prefer Myers because he’s better defensively...that said if Gardiner can finally stop bending to high pressure situations he’s a much better addition so who knows.  Both would come with a decent chance of regret later...worse case third pairing LE situation ugh.

Some of the future UFAs are much better (assuming they make it that far).  Piles of Tanev level skill available...and a few stars too (Josi ... man he’s getting 4 million now ... that’s what star RFAs should be making with some interest...NOT third contract money) and Alex P from St Louis lead the class and of course Barrie...Krug too..Faulk, Spurgeon, TJ Brodie, Tanev etc etc.  

What your saying is the ideal scene, that we use some cap space to plug two holes in our defense and hope the young players will succeed.

What will likely happen is something in between and I have some doubts that in three years it will be resolved.   Which is why I’m all for signing our best young players for at least 6 years, preferably 8. After the next CBA it wouldn’t at all surprise me if the length of contracts goes down to 5 or 6.  The NHL wanted 5 last time but made concessions with the NHLPA ... but still want this.   Let’s take advantage of it while you can, I’m a bit Boeser fan and would rest a lot easier if he was locked in long term rather then a 4 or 5 year deal and paid for production that hasn’t occurred yet.  In four or five years he will earn it for sure. Just in time to demand a monster UFA contract that we likely won’t be able to afford, because they money like you said will be tied up in the defense.

• Upvote 1